Archinect
anchor

Kidder-Parker old skool styleee

gruen

A bunch of years ago I picked up this tome from a used bookshop in Chicago. It was a bargain. Kidder Parker was the predecessor to Graphic Standards and one look through it you can see how our profession has suffered, as Archi Graphic Standards can't hold a weak candle to this thing.

A few photos to show the gorgeous graphics and depth of the information inside - everything you'd need to design a high tech building in 1944 - already the mature 18th edition. 

As you can see, this book played a role in WW2 history, as it was owned by a SeeBee Chief Carpenter's Mate who was deployed to eniwetok atoll, which was the site of a major battle, but I assume the owner of this book was deployed after the battle to be part of the crew that built the American base there. The atoll was later the site of nuclear tests. 

Apr 18, 15 2:10 pm
jcrarch

Great book! Love books like that. I just ordered it on Amazon (last one left) for $30.00. Thanks so much for the post.

Apr 18, 15 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

Nice find, gruen.

Apr 18, 15 5:07 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

looks cool, but from the photos I don't really think those drawings are all that impressive compared to graphic standards

Apr 18, 15 5:29 pm  · 
 · 

I have a cop of that book. A good friend of mine gave me the book. Although I had the book on PDF files. This one, I keep for personal sake... hell or high water. It was previously at one time, owned by an architect from New York as it bore the embossed stamp seal. So, yes, beautiful book and it literally was the "Architect's Bible" as the saying goes. It was the very book architect's used as a resource for doing the calculations and such. In that book, you'll see a section on lamella roof. I have that among a few other books. I have a couple books that actually has the calculation equation for sizing a 'lamella' element. 

Apr 18, 15 10:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: