Archinect
anchor

Studying in Germany

onisoara2000

I would wish to studying something creative(esp.Architecture) in Germany, prefetably in Berlin.

What advice do you have for me?Which is the best Univerisiy?As far as I heard UdK would be a good option in Berlin.

How should I start to prepare myself fot the admission exam and for this career practicly?

Thank you,

Oana

Jul 7, 11 3:42 pm
onisoara2000

I forgot to mention that I have 2 years left.

Jul 7, 11 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
lekizz

Do you speak german?

Jul 10, 11 7:01 pm  · 
 · 
onisoara2000

Yes.I am not proficency yet but I am learning even more for c1.

Aug 4, 11 6:30 am  · 
 · 
IamGray

The UDK requires both a Mappe (portfolio) and an entrance exam.

To prepare for these two things, you should begin to experiment with different visual mediums. UDK is pretty "old-school" in their thinking, and seem to really value traditional drawing techniques... so start with that. Do lots of drawings. Take a life-drawing or painting course at your school. Also start to familiarize yourself with sofware platforms like the Adobe creative suite. Photography is also something worth practicing. At this point, learning arch-specific programs like rhino or autocad isn't that important. Especially if you're interested in studying at UDK. They're not really into any of the latest techno developments in the field. Not one single project that I saw in the last "rundgang" (just a few weeks ago) showed any sort of scripting, coding, maya, grasshoper, etc. involvement. 

What else... Read about architecture. Specifically in German. It'll help you with not only your language studies, but of course also getting you acclimatized to the vocabulary of design. 

But you've got 2 years left.... Don't sweat it! It's great to think ahead and plan, but also be flexible at your age. Don't cater all of your activities to a subject that you may or may not actually enjoy.

Aug 4, 11 8:54 am  · 
 · 
onisoara2000

Thank you, thank you a lot!

Are you german?:)I'm asking because I was a bit disappointed when trying to aproach Germans on this topic.Everybody gave me fleeting, cold answers.

So, if  Udk is a bit outdated what would you recommend me in Berlin or in the whole Germany?

My Facebook is  : Oana Gramada .I would appreciate if you added me in order to ask you some questions easily.I won't rub you up the wall :)

Thank you again.

Aug 4, 11 3:05 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

I've only spent a short time at the TU Berlin (as an exchange student), but in general I've gotten a rather positive impression from that university. It has a relative broad scope (including a wide range of design studios, and for instance some pretty interesting architecture sociology seminars). However, I had the impression that there's a relative lack of a coherent curriculum. In a way that's good: it gives you enough freedom to explore your own path, but it has a risk, too...

Even though that was six years ago, I'm not sure what has changed since then (also considering the switch to the Bachelor-Master-system). As far as I've gathered from people who went to the UdK, the admissions roughly amount to: 250-300 people hand in a portfolio, about 100 of them get invited for a test and interview (2 days, includes drawing, a small presentation etcetera). about 35-40 people are accepted. 

If you are interested in looking beyond Berlin, I'd recommend you to have a look at the RWTH Aachen, or the TU München, for instance. Based on word of mouth, those universities have quite a good standing for high quality. Even though the most recent school rankings in Germany hint at other places (http://www.detailx.de/hochschulen/hochschulranking-20092010/endergebnis/). 

If you have the time to travel to some universities beforehand: please do. You get a much better feeling for the school by just talking to some random students in the cafeteria, or peeking in on their studio work.

(I'm not German, but living in Germany, by the way. If I can help you with anything, just let me know....

Aug 4, 11 3:44 pm  · 
 · 
onisoara2000

Thank you.

Do you have Fb or an email.I have many questions, but I find it easier to chat

Oana Gramada on facebook, if not should I start asking here?

Thanks

Aug 4, 11 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
usernametaken

Check your fb, if that's easier for you...

Aug 4, 11 5:03 pm  · 
 · 
LLJKedge

I'm interested in this thread, as well

Aug 4, 11 6:51 pm  · 
 · 
sabrina k

I am a master student at the BTU Cottbus. It is only about an hour and a bit away from Berlin and with the student tiket you travel for free anyway. The University offers 24h studios, W LAN at the whole campus, a PC Lab and the oportunity of a workshop to build your models in every possible way and material you can imagine.

I know that sounds like advertising but I like studying here. We have heaps of student that didin't get acepted in Berlin. For more information check  https://www.tu-cottbus.de/btu/en.html

Aug 5, 11 3:22 am  · 
 · 
onisoara2000

@sabrina k : it's good news, but what do you think about thew classes there?If there are a myriad of students not accepted in Berlin, this means that the faculty itself has a lower standard or me I wrong? Which are the addmission conditions? I am interested:)

Aug 5, 11 5:09 am  · 
 · 
sabrina k

Most of them didn't get into Berlin cause of the fact that there are to many people applying for one place. As much as I know the classes in berlin are generally pretty packed. while here you got enough space for everyone. The classes are usually ok. 

I for myself decided to go to Cottbus (even thought I am from Berlin), cause of the better study situation and quatlity. It might got my point accross wrong, but alot of people find the circumstances here better than in Berlin.  The teachers and Prof. are competent and all the neccesary classes are teached.

another page for the quality ranking is (german)  http://ranking.zeit.de/che2011/de/rankingkompakt?esb=7&ab=3&hstyp=1

The BTU is a technical University so the focus is on the design and the construction.

To the Addmission condition. The wintersemester 2011/12 is the first one with a NC ( minimum requirments, or the end note of your Highschool schouldn't be lower than that).

Hope that helps.

Aug 5, 11 7:02 am  · 
 · 
krog630

Although not in Berlin, you should consider the Dessau Institute of Architecture. It is a 2 hour local train ride or 1 hour by car from Berlin.  They have a Master of Architecture program in English and have a great faculty ranging from the principals of SPAN to the engineers of Transsolar. Another plus is the school is positioned right by the Bauhaus. I spent time there as an exchange student, so I have a limited experience with their admissions process.

Here is there website: http://lehre.afg.hs-anhalt.de/dia/

Good luck.

Aug 5, 11 12:01 pm  · 
 · 
onisoara2000

Thank you for suggesting.I will take a look at everything.

@sabrina k : I didn't  take in th addmission matter.So, there is no  admission test?no portofolio?just the grade you obtain when you finish highschool?

Aug 5, 11 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
m...

I'd be really interested in attending the Dessau Institute of Architecture once finished my B.Arch. I'm not sure if it still has the same relevance or reputation it once had but it'd be interesting nonetheless.

Aug 5, 11 2:51 pm  · 
 · 

I went to Bauhaus University in Weimar and absolutely loved it. Sure, the town is rather petite, but the pros are similar to Cottbus and Dessau: very personal contact between teachers and students due to the small size of the school; great class sizes; top conditions in terms of model shops, computer labs, etc.

Although really not like Gropius' original Bauhaus from 1919 anymore, today's Bauhaus University still very much encourages interdisciplinary study between the four primary schools of architecture, media, art and engineering.

The very high density of cultural institutions in little Weimar is hard to beat, and you got a nice international flair.

Aug 5, 11 9:58 pm  · 
 · 
sabrina k

@ onisoara2000

When I applied for the Bachelor course I only had to fill in a few papers send in my note from high school and that was it. But first of all I am a german and second of all thats already more than 5 years ago.

Check out this page http://www.tu-cottbus.de/btu/en/international/intl-office/information-for-foreign-applicants.html

And maybe get in contact for detailed conditions these days, especially for overseas students.

Aug 6, 11 4:23 am  · 
 · 
sabrina k

here is some extra information

http://www-docs.tu-cottbus.de/international-admissions/public/International_Applicants/Application_Forms/Zulassung-englisch.pdf

https://www-docs.tu-cottbus.de/intoff/public/files/Admissions/Infoblatt%20allgemein%20en%20final%2020110628.pdf

and maybe this for further information: http://www.tu-cottbus.de/fakultaet2/en/studium/programms.html

Aug 6, 11 4:31 am  · 
 · 
tomek

Hi,

I'd be very greatfull for some opinions on the master programme (or just quality of the architecture course in general) at the Cologne University of Applied Sciences. What is general opinion? renoma? Just any information about the programme? Any graduates here? I'd really appreciate  your comments weather I should consider Koln for my masters. 

Thank you,

Tomek

Apr 11, 12 5:20 am  · 
 · 
tomek

I'm just posting because I don't want this thread to get lost. I would very greatful for any feedback on the architecture course at Koln University of Applied Sciences as a mentioned above :)

Apr 13, 12 9:24 am  · 
 · 
elianaacevedo

Hi, i'm interesting to apply for a master program i have looked the possibilities (an english master programme) and i'm in between, the Dessau university, Detmold and the TU of Berlin. the average of my bachelor degree was 1,8 (on the german system). its really hard to go in? i'm from Colombia btw

Jun 21, 17 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Jas_03

Hi, 

I’m from India and I wish to pursue bachelors in arts ( particularly visual communication) in Germany, preferably in Berlin. Would you please advice me as to which university should I apply to ? As per my research, UdK Berlin is a better option. But I’m still very doubtful regarding its admission criteria, since it’s very selective and has 10-15% of acceptance rate. Is it a hard university to get into?

I’d be very grateful if you could also suggest other art universities besides UdK Berlin. 

Thank you,

Jasleen. 

Apr 2, 21 12:30 pm  · 
 · 
Jas_03

also I’m doing high school right now, so I’ve 1 and a 1/2 year as to figure out everything regarding the undergraduate degree 

Apr 2, 21 12:32 pm  · 
 · 
cortestan

Hi there! I'm a Canadian who studied BA in architecture at UdK, so I can't speak much to Visual Communication, but I believe that department is also strong. As far as I know, admissions for most programs at UdK is quite selective, but the portfolio is a much bigger factor than your grades would be. 

Another university in Germany from which I've heard many good things for visual communication is Burg Giebichenstein University of Art and Design in Halle (about an hour train from Berlin).

Apr 2, 21 4:10 pm  · 
1  · 
Jas_03

Thank you so much.

Apr 2, 21 11:43 pm  · 
 · 
Jas_03

I’d definitely look up to the university that you’ve suggested :)

Apr 2, 21 11:44 pm  · 
 · 
evjeff

Hello!

I'm also looking into Udk Berlin to study Ba.Architecture. I just wanted to know a bit more about the portfolio we're supposed to design. Are we expected to build models of any kind and explain/interpret them?

Besides the portfolio, what is the entrance examination comprised of? Is it an aptitude based test or is it to test mathematics skills etc? 

Thank you in advance.

Feb 4, 24 5:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: