Archinect
anchor

Do I need a M.Arch to become an architect professor?

zeina94

Hello! I'm currently a student studying architecture at a community college and I'm about to transfer soon. I've applied to schools holding the 4 year degree as well as schools with the 5 year B.Arch, but I'm not sure which one degree/path to take if I want to become an architect professor. I heard it's better to have a M.Arch so should I follow the 4+2 route or 5+1? Whats the best path to take? 

Apr 14, 15 5:34 pm
Non Sequitur
A phd and years of professional experience are decent goals before getting into teaching.
Apr 14, 15 5:44 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

I would seriously do the 5+1... the MArch II is much more theoretical and I think at the end of the day- becoming a tenured professor is all about doing research and having a strong theoretical background will come in handy...

Apr 14, 15 5:48 pm  · 
 · 
ROB4

If you do the 4+2 route, I hope you understand that some of the prestigious schools like Yale, Harvard, UCLA, Columbia and MIT make you do a 3 year M.Arch program, unless you are an anomaly in undergrad and can find a way to get advanced placement.

I honestly think you could go either way but I hear some people say that M.arch II programs are too fast and didnt really get much out of it, as compared to the 3yr M.archs where they have more time to network, fine tune ideas, and bond with the class and faculty. 

Apr 14, 15 6:06 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: