Archinect
anchor

Undergrad arch at USC or WashU?? (help)

Flash7755

Hey guys, I have been accepted to a few schools for B.Arch and my final two selections are University of Washinton in St. Louis and University of Southern California. I am caught up between which one to decide as each has its pros and cons. Washu is known to be a better overall school yet USC is known to have a better arch undergrad program and it's in LA... i am certainly going to do grad school whether its arch or something else so i need to keep that in mind when i choose my undergrad schools too.

I would appreciate some insight from experienced people in this field, Thanks!

Apr 13, 15 1:25 pm
3tk

I went to WashU (engineering), and loved it.  I took some architecture classes to prep for grad school too - the faculty is very attentive and accessible all over campus.  In case you do consider switching majors, its very easy to transfer and getting dual degrees is not unusual.  There is something to be said for being at a rigorous school of that caliber as you are exposed to a lot of smart people (one seminar I took in history had 2 rhodes scholars and 7 fulbrights our of 25 students; and I had regular opportunities to speak with Nobel/ Pulitzer/etc Laureates) that will push the way you think about all subjects.  Down side is it can be difficult to juggle your schedule as there are few 'puff ball' classes.

One additional difference is athletics USC is DI and WashU is DIII - if you have strong feelings for/against DI sports, it may be part of the cultural difference of the schools.

I've worked with alumni from both schools out on the east coast, and everyone seems to do well, so no worries there - both have good post-graduation success.

Apr 13, 15 3:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: