Archinect
anchor

Annoying Coworker, Should I stay or Go now?

I have a nice temp job 364 days and counting

Nice office has windows access to transit mostly functional IT and equipment (we can go up to 3 weeks with out a major it fail.)

climate controlled no mold smell coming out of the air ducts, no health concerns to speak of other than the occasional box of doughnuts  in the break room

What is bothering me is a co worker who is probably a decent person but bothers me with his constant office politicking, asking myself and others personal and insulting questions (we have German and Mexican Employees who are constantly asked about ethnic cuisine and cultural questions) and has a habit of assigning blame and damaging any project of mine he is assigned to. 

It is a toxic relationship, management will not act to further mitigate it despite having the "talk" with my supervisor.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or similar stories.

Apr 13, 15 9:46 am
Sarah Hamilton
Peter, maybe I'm missing something, or maybe I'm the annoying coworker, but what is wrong with asking people about their ethnic foods and culture? Is this done in an insulting way, or something? What's wrong with being culturally curious?

As for the rest, you might as well stay until something better comes along. Just because you have a job, doesn't mean you can't keep looking for a better one. It isn't marriage.
Apr 13, 15 10:11 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

Peter, every office has one. The one in my office just so happens to be in a senior position. This person sings, mumbles, makes childish "ouch" sounds and constantly brings up irrelevant,  nonsensical and intellectually empty subjects such as religion, ghosts, random celebrity news, super personal drama, etc.

Good thing the only senior responsibilities involve moving cubicles around. I've just learned not to argue over petty things.

Apr 13, 15 10:20 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Weird post...

So, high importance is access to public transportation, no smells, working computers, AC and a clean break room... I assume functioning toilets too?  Based on that, I think you set a low bar...

Asking about your personal life is how folks get to know each other.  Some lack cultural 'decorum' in how they go about it and may be oblivious to 'taboo' in your cultural heritage.  For instance, I've heard discussed recommended plastic surgeons for breast implants because a few have had that done... I've reviewed/judged 'wife' portfolios for arranged marriages for my opinions.   Just saying food is rather 'lame' and safe discussion about your personal life.

Messing up your projects and blameshifting sucks.  Some people are just that way; btw, you are blaming him too just fyi.  You'll just have to learn to deal with them without crying; vent to friends, family, and anonymous forums, but not your boss unless it's really bad.  Easiest way is to maintain good communication with your boss so they know who is doing what on the project and seek solutions when it goes bad.

Apr 13, 15 12:00 pm  · 
 · 

Best option is to address your issues directly, either by getting to know the guy better (who is probably a decent person) or by taking him for a beer and being frank about your concerns, possibly framing it in the context of teamwork and goal setting: higher performance = higher pay / more rapid advancement.

In other words, design a practical solution to the problem.

Apr 13, 15 12:35 pm  · 
 · 
vado retro

In my office, I am that person. My advice is to move on because I'm not going anywhere.

Apr 13, 15 3:47 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: