Archinect
anchor

Applying to jobs using issuu.com link to portfolio

Hey everyone,

I am having trouble compressing my portfolio to be under 4 mb without the quality going down. Since lots of firms are asking for the portfolio to be around 4-8 MB, would it be ok to just submit a link from issuu.com of my portfolio?

Apr 10, 15 6:19 pm
natematt

No.

Apr 10, 15 6:26 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

How long is your portfolio? How are you making it, software/dimensions/resolution

Apr 10, 15 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

Do a short portfolio/ work samples that hit your size limit, and put a link in the PDF to your full portfolio on Issuu. The first page/ inside cover should be a resume, that's where the link should live. 

Make sure it is click-able and doesn't get flattened/ un-hyperlinked with the rest of the document.

Apr 10, 15 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

Natematt my portfolio is 48 pages. I used illustrator and in design. 

Apr 12, 15 1:57 am  · 
 · 
natematt

That's a really long portfolio for the way you are using it, not just because of the file-size but also because of the amount of information.

Apr 12, 15 2:24 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

48 pages?  That's about 28pages longer than it should be. No one will browse it past the first few pages anyways.

Apr 12, 15 8:37 am  · 
 · 
placebeyondthesplines

With a portfolio this hard to look at, something as disposable as an issuu link sounds just about perfect actually. 

Apr 12, 15 9:09 am  · 
 · 

Placebeyondthesplines you are so hateful. I read your comments on other people's posts and they are not constructive and you are just bashing other users. What a sad life you live buddy :) cheer up and offer people helpful advice 

Apr 12, 15 2:26 pm  · 
1  · 
kjdt

I agree with others that your portfolio is too long.  12 to 20 pages seems to be about typical of what I see from most candidates - enough to showcase 3 or 4 strong projects, and perhaps a few pages for some odds and ends to demonstrate specific skills and interest areas.

I wouldn't be thrilled with being directed to 48-page portfolio on issuu.  We want to be able to put everybody's work in a file and be able to compare stronger candidates side by side - so if you don't send a pdf you're adding extra steps for us.  Also, we see the instructions we put in our job postings as the first test for the candidate in attention to detail and following directions. Ok, if we say 4MB and yours is 4.5 nobody's going to bat an eye about it, but if it's 20MB or if we asked for a pdf and you sent a link to a huge portfolio on another site, it's not a great first impression - it suggests that you might be a bit difficult to work with.

Apr 12, 15 2:45 pm  · 
 · 

Kjdt great points! Thank you, will def. take your advice. 

Apr 12, 15 3:54 pm  · 
 · 
Well, a trick you may not know is to distill you PDF. Open the PDF, save as a PDF post script (in the pull down menue- the file will then be .ps) then drag and drop into Adobe Distiller. That will flatten everything - it will also overwrite a PDF with the same name so you may want to change it when you save as. Also it is too long...
Apr 13, 15 12:28 pm  · 
 · 
seattle architect

As an employer and architect (Seattle)  I can let you know that I greatly prefer it if prospective employees email a link to their own website or to their portfolio online.  the last thing i want is to have to download and save someones resume/portfolio on my computer in order to review it initially.  that being said there should be the option to do so on their site.  it is far too easy to generate your own website these days...so i dont understand why there are so many who dont do it.  also, as a tip to you all...ALWAYS bring a hard copy of both your resume and portfolio to the interview.  my two cents.

Apr 13, 15 7:41 pm  · 
 · 

Seattle architect thank you for the advice, I figured it would be easier to send in a link of my portfolio that has the option to be downloadable.. 

Apr 13, 15 9:31 pm  · 
 · 
Paula G

48 pages is huge. Send out a work sample. 8-10 pages as a teaser. Bring in the bible for the actual interview.

Apr 15, 15 8:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: