Archinect
anchor

UIUC or Univ.Houston or Arizona State

nehaprane

Hi, guys I am an international student from India,I have completed my B.arch Degree, I have been accepted into the above three colleges for the 2-year M.arch programs, I am a little confused so if anyone could help me with any information on these three colleges it would be really helpful.  I have certain specific questions :

1)   Does the proximity of a city make a difference in the graduate schooling like is it beneficial to be closer to a city? As Houston and Phoenix are bigger cities but Urbana -Champaign is a university town so is that going to make a big difference to my experience as well as oppurtunities ?

2) I think the program at Univ. Houston -Gerald D. Hines College of architecture seems to be well ranked but all the people that I have spoken to havent seem to have heard of this college at all. Could anyone throw some light on this university ? Preferably someone who has attended school here.

3) How good is Arizona State Univ, the Tempe Campus? I think its a school with an elaborate design background hence might be an interesting place to study, then again not very well ranked 

4) UIUC has a good reputation and brand name how much of a difference would that make?

5) okay last one :p Which of these three colleges would be reccomended for Sustainable Design ?

I really need a few opinions so if anyone could help me out it'd be great!!!! Thank you so much :)

Apr 10, 15 12:13 pm

I went to UIUC, the distance culturally and travel wise from Chicago is relatively small

The program is / has changed and the reputation for technical competence of it's graduates is diminished as it has tried to gain a stronger ranking in the design field. Lots of turmoil in the program's leadership, it is a state school in Illinois so tuition is very expensive as the republican governor is cutting state funds tuition and fees especially for out of state students will be rising.  

They have top notch facilities. CNC Lasers, Printing. TBH is an awesome building to have studio in lots of natural light.

the community is comfortable, very liberal in Urbana slightly Conservative in Champaign,

U of I Champaign Urbana is 44,000+ student's there are a lot of opportunities to double major or seek out cross campus academic opportunities.  The Architecture Program at U of I is relatively large 400-500 graduates 800-1000 undergrads 

IF you want to stand out professionally you need to be in the structures track or have a double major in structural engineering or construction management, those programs are internationally well regarded at UIUC.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Apr 10, 15 1:30 pm  · 
 · 
nehaprane

Hey Peter,

Thanks alot that helped :) So you dd your undergrad or grad schooling at UIUC ? Do you practice as an architect ?

Apr 11, 15 1:25 am  · 
 · 
Driko
I agree with Peter. Undergrad here. Some exciting things are happening at uiuc. It's just hard to tell if it's going to be good because of the new director. He's this guy from the English department who had no clue what he's doing in the architecture department. But we will see how he turns out.
Apr 11, 15 2:42 am  · 
 · 
nehaprane

@Driko -Thanks! I am glad to know that the design areas are also gaining importance. Mostly I am taking up UIUC, I think so far thats the best one I've got. Will post my decision once I send it in. So how is the campus life at the uiuc??

Apr 11, 15 11:25 am  · 
 · 
Driko
I think for a college town its a great place. There is a lot to do an people are out every night regardless of the weather. There is downtown champaign, downtown urbana and then campus town. Grads tend to stay away from campus town because of the kids but there are still some bars I prefer on campus town. UIUC also has great network. They have a studio that's pretty new in downtown Chicago at the VOA office. And Itnl
Apr 11, 15 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
Driko
And it looks like the CEO of VOA is a common face in the studio.
Apr 11, 15 12:15 pm  · 
 · 
SaloniChawla

Hi @nehaprane, I am an applicant from India as well and I had applied to the master of landscape architecture at UIUC. I have got my acceptance and would be joining it. In case you decide to go with UIUC, let me know so that we can communicate over things. It would be good knowing you beforehand as the place and the experience would be totally new!

Apr 15, 15 5:21 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: