Archinect
anchor

School or Work Experience?

ade20

Hi all,

Im currently finishing my 2nd year in an Interior Design program at my University. I'm currently working in the architecture department at a highly regarded design firm in town. Ive recently started to take on more responsibilities and now I'm learning, gaining experience, and putting more hours into my job. Starting my 3rd year, because of the class time schedules, if I keep my position I would have to reduce my hours by half, not nearly enough to help the staff out with anything significant. I'm left to decide if I should go to school only part time this semester which would put me behind another year or reduce my hours at work where I feel like I'm gaining valuable work experience. Keep in mind I also want to go for a M.Arch after Im finished with my bachelors. What would be more important? Work experience or finishing school as fast as possible?

Apr 10, 15 6:40 am
Maccam

I would definitely finish school and obtain your Interior Design degree as soon as possible. Afterwards, it may be a wise choice to dedicate 1-2 or maybe even 3 years towards gaining the necessary training and work experience before applying for an M.Arch. You'll also increase your chances of getting into the schools you desire, if you (A) receive your Interior Design degree first. (B) Obtain some professional work for a year or so & then (C) Apply for an M.Arch program.

Just my thoughts. Take care & good luck!

Apr 10, 15 10:34 am  · 
 · 
Maccam

Also, don't get so caught up on "work experience." The reality is that you'll work for the rest of your life. Get the education first and over with. Tuition is rising 5-10% per year. Don't waste your time and money. Get in and get done! - Of course, I'm only talking about your Bachelors degree.

Apr 10, 15 10:38 am  · 
 · 
3tk

You may also be able to get yourself a position (w/ the work experience) in a large firm that may help subsidize your MArch... a few places still do it.

Apr 10, 15 2:14 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: