Archinect
anchor

Best Canadian M.Arch Program (UT vs. UW)

arcstu

I got accepted into U of Toronto and U of Waterloo for M.Arch program.

Can anyone comment on the advantage of doing it at UT (2.5 yr)?

Is it better known in the states?

Also, its faculty are mostly from GSD. Does this have any benefit/merit in career outlook?

Apr 9, 15 8:27 pm
Non Sequitur

Waterloo by a significant margin. Better program, better resources, but a much harder thesis. You can also complete your thesis in 4 terms (1-1/3y) if you've got your shit together.

Apr 9, 15 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Just a note -

They also appear to run their thesis programs very differently from each other. Look into the work being produced by the thesis students and decide which school is making the work you'd rather be more closely aligned with.

I've noticed that the UW work appears to be much more research-oriented, while the UT work is closer to a studio project.

Personally I would choose UW.

Apr 9, 15 10:37 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

UW for sure, unless you like making adjacency diagrams for 2.5 years.

Apr 10, 15 12:54 am  · 
 · 
marchinq

I also did my undergrad degree(B.Archiectural Studies) in UW, so I am pretty familiar with their faculty/style.

I was just wondering if there would be any benefit to doing it at UT. (despite obvious merits of doing it at UW: shorter, less tuition)

It seems like someone who has clear direction for their thesis would do better in UW who offers more freedom. UT seems to have more structured studios, and their interest mainly lies in the city of Toronto.

Apr 10, 15 9:02 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: