Archinect
anchor

M.Arch II usefulness?

marchinq

Does M.Arch II (Advanced Architectural Design) give you an edge when seeking an employment?

For example, if you earned M.Arch II degree from an Ivy school, do employers care?

Apr 9, 15 8:27 pm
chigurh

no, you would be better off having a business or law degree from an ivy.

Apr 9, 15 10:53 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

As useful as drugs and I mean in a good way

Apr 9, 15 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
rkapoo

I have similar questions. Especially M.arch II from UPenn.. there program PPD? Would it help, any views?

Apr 10, 15 4:44 am  · 
 · 
Beepbeep

I am in the boat, I have an M.arch already and a job at a highly regarded firm, but the AAD program at GSAPP still looks good, I want to open my own firm in a couple years and I do not know which is better for a firm owner( all high design firms principles seem to be from an IVY). High end work experience doing projects I want to do or  flashy IVY masters and 40K more debt haha which I cannot afford.

Apr 10, 15 7:42 am  · 
 · 
rkapoo

@beepbeep, where did you do your masters?

Apr 10, 15 8:56 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

I did UPENN M.Arch II to hit the reset button, was in a professional slump..  Met some guys from Wharton, did my first real design build project I could design and kept in touch ever since.

Believe it or not UPENN impresses clients a lot.  Had one client introduce me to all his Chinese developers this way - UPENN....I'm not saying I'm a better technical architect for going there, but it helps for getting some good jobs on your own.

as far as employment, one reason I went was at the time the corporate firm I was at was starting M.Arch at 20k higher than my salary and I had worked for 3-4 years  already.

Apr 10, 15 10:23 am  · 
 · 
fulcrum

M.Arch II is basically for people with B.Arch who want to get masters degree. It's harder to get in than M.Arch I, because it usually has limited space... but it's a same degree as M.Arch I.

Would I care when I hire them? Not really. I care more about portfolio and experience... but I bet some big firms will care, especially if they get swamped by hundreds of resumes...

Apr 10, 15 11:03 am  · 
 · 
rkapoo

I have been accepted to USC-M.Arch II (full tuition waiver) and UPENN-M.Arch II (half scholarship). Having a hard time deciding since I eventually wanted to live in Los Angeles and inclined to full ride since money is a problem even after the half scholarship. But also dont want to give up an IVY. Any Views?

Apr 10, 15 11:17 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

As a practicing architect with a bunch of years of experience, I would never recommend that somebody enter this field.  To come out of some top tier school with 100-200k in debt is fucking ridiculous.  Even if it does help you get a job, you are going to be making 36k/year in some metropolis that you can't even afford to live in....I am going to do everything I can to deter my kids from this field..I don't want them to take any interest in what I am doing.  The worst thing I could do to my kids is give them the impression that architecture is cool or fun. 

Apr 10, 15 11:41 am  · 
 · 
rkapoo

Well I'd be in 40k debt with interest ofcourse.

Apr 10, 15 11:44 am  · 
 · 
rkapoo

Cant even think of a 100k-200k debt prison...!!

Apr 10, 15 11:46 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

M.Arch II is either 2 or 3 semesters, and if you are like me you could essentially do free lance services to pay regular bills while in school and the debt would be about 40K in tuition (I  borrowed more than I needed)....

this is much different than a M.Arch I where you have to do 3 years and unless your prior degree or work can cover some costs you will get stuck with a very high student loan debt.

Apr 10, 15 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
marchinq

@Chris

that's one of the reasons why I'd consider doing m.arch II after m.arch I. Less financial toll and shorter program. But I wasn't sure if it adds any real benefit other than education.

Apr 10, 15 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Marchinq you mean B.arch right? No need for a M.arch II if you have a M.arch I....you typically can't get into a m.arch II without a B.arch

Apr 10, 15 3:28 pm  · 
 · 
marchinq

there's not really a B.arch in Canada. M.arch is equivalent to B.arch, and with M.arch you can get licensed. So if I take M.arch II, it will be additional education that does not affect me for getting licensed.

Apr 10, 15 4:18 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

marchinq.

What you call M.arch2 in Canada is just a non-accredited post graduate degree to keep timid students away from the real world... it's like a poor man's phd and only useful for those who want to pursue a specific research agenda as a hobby.  The only advantage job-wise will be if you focus the research on something that can be applied to practice.

Apr 10, 15 4:36 pm  · 
 · 
marchinq

@Non Sequltur

I was referring to Advanced Architectural Design/M.Arch II in the States. Canada doesn't offer too many M.arch2 options anyways...

I guess you mean that there isn't much advantage job-wise even if you earn it from ivy schools

Apr 10, 15 11:28 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur
Correct.
Apr 11, 15 6:17 am  · 
 · 

Professional student is a great racket if you can afford it. But after a while you start to look silly among college age kids.

Apr 11, 15 10:28 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: