Archinect
anchor

Feedback on Emergency Shelter

JackWilliams

I am currently under-way on a second year graphics project and as a form of testing, I have come to this forum to ask for your feedback on my design thus far. I will attach pictures and I look forward to hearing your comments. Thank you in advance.  

Apr 9, 15 9:11 am
curtkram

the curved corners on the kitchen piece are curved, so they won't be able to be shipped flat right?

you put some thought into how water gets in through the cistern, but how does water get out?  do you have to tie into an existing sanitary system?  also, what if it doesn't rain?  just dump water into the cistern?

your pipe system is going to take a fair amount of lateral load, because the tensile structure will pull it down and the wind will try to knock it down.  it needs a deep foundation (think vertical cantilever).  i don't think this will be able to just sit on the ground.

is that glass on the ends?  you sure you want the weight of glass, and the potential for breakage?

how does the inflatable part work?  You blow air into it so it takes shape, then do you need to continue pumping in air, or does it sort of snap to the poles somehow and get held up like a pup tent?

you need to ship in an air blower as well then?  how do you get electricity for the air blower as a first responder?  how is the unit itself powered?

Apr 9, 15 10:39 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I like the idea of a sanitary core, but not sure the circular arrangement of pods is space effective; utilities are still very much in love with orthogonal grids. 

take a look at these, the reality of emergencies is a lot messier than you think

http://www.ikeafoundation.org/programmes/refugee-children/

http://www.archdaily.com/489255/the-humanitarian-works-of-shigeru-ban/

Apr 9, 15 10:54 am  · 
 · 
x intern

This seems much to complicated for an emergency shelter.  You have to take into account who will be constructing these onsite and what systems would be available.  Its unlikely you would have running water, electricity or sewer in most places that would require a emergency shelter.  You are likely aware of him but check out Shigeru Ban

Apr 9, 15 11:29 am  · 
 · 
-------

I think this is a very good effort; however, I also think the design is too self-consciously pretty. You need some sort of opening at the bottom for ventilation (you only mention an opening at the top). Look at "The Traditional Malay House" by Lim Jee Yuan to see how ventilation is accommodated in a similar form. Consider the heat gain through the transparent end when it's in the full sun.

Apr 9, 15 12:37 pm  · 
 · 

++ x intern

Not only are they too complex for field assembly by unskilled labor, they are far too expensive to manufacture and transport. Also look at climate and geographical variations as what is needed in the mountains of Pakistan isn't on the islands of Java. A good portion of disaster aid is unsuitable for use where it is delivered.

Apr 9, 15 6:35 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: