Archinect
anchor

San Francisco Institute of Architecture (SFIA)

zg_a,

I agree. Having worked with clients, slick and polished end product isn't necessarily absolute. I would rather say this a little more correctly, they don't have to be slick and flashy... all the time. Depending on project. However, I agree, they need to be composed in a decent, coherent manner.

I may take a few SFIA courses if only to build portfolio content  and maybe to play with the GPA numbers to aid admissions into their M.Arch. My client projects are often too technical in nature for portfolio stuff used in admissions from my experience. Go figure?

Not a lot of artsy stuff because I'm not exactly the most art-centered designer. Oh well... Of course, I would have to officially complete what's left at UO so I can be in a position for possible M.Arch. I could also take PSU undergrad architecture courses to aid GPA numbers.

I just have to see how it goes.

Apr 14, 15 1:25 am  · 
 · 
Architect777

I JUST GOT AN EMAIL FROM SFIA.  Looks mighty suspicious to me as they say you do not have to study at all but can substitute one year of work experience for one year of architecture school.  I went to an NAAB-certified school (Rensselaer) and have been licensed for over 38 years.  You cannot learn on the job what you learn in school and you cannot learn in school what you learn on the job.  BOTH are required.  I supervised designers and drafters in a large firm - even with the bet technical skills of those without a degree, there were certain critical thinking skills missing that are essential to move on to the next level.  It is hard for me to believe that any jurisdiction would accept this degree as having any meaning at all - they decry diploma mills, but that is exactly what diploma mills do.  

Jul 2, 17 10:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: