Archinect
anchor

what do you think of Lawrence Technological University's Distance Learning Architecture Degree Programs?

yuan xue liang

Dear all, I am yuan xue liang woring in China , sichuan province in the field of urban design, I have a master degree of urban design and I would like to study for a degree program of architecture. Nevertheless, I could not study full time locally or oversea.  Recently, I notice Lawrence Technological University offer distance Learning master architecture degree program which could complete mostly online except the master studio class, I find it quiet suitable for me. Does anybody have experience of this program or know about this program or know about the Lawrence Technological University architecture program.

Thanks,

yuen hok leung

Jul 7, 11 12:47 am
shellarchitect

In general I'm happy with the ltu program, and it may be your only option for distance learning in architecture.  However I'm not sure that going through the entire program online is a very effective way to learn much. 

The online classes require a lot of time for additional reading and "discussion."  The work of the online students is much worse than the work done by regular students.  I believe that you would have to come to southfield to present you work at the end of each semester.

Jul 8, 11 10:24 am  · 
 · 
le bossman

personally i don't think distance learning is an appropriate way to learn about architecture if you can avoid it.  architecture, good architecture at least, requires a lot of thoughtful one on one discussions with clients and team members.  it requires a lot of listening, and most appropriately, the ability to read body language.  ltu isn't well known outside of the midwest, or even michigan for that matter.  i would guess you would have a lot of difficulty getting a job in a firm anywhere if you said you got your degree online from ltu.  that's not to say i have any problem with the rest of the program.   

personally, i think the idea that they are offering online architectural degrees is a tad bit irresponsible, and solely motivated by a desire to increase their cash flow rather than to create competant architects.  that may sound harsh, and i don't disrespect the program there or anything, but if you serious about architecture, than it's something that you need to dive yourself into.  of course, ltu has always been a commuter school.  i think the idea of offering certain courses online to suit the needs of their student body, many of whom work full-time jobs, is actually a fantastic idea, and a model that other schools could follow.  but one-on-one discourse cannot be satisfied by an internet connection.  even on archinect. 

also, this may be just me, but i feel that one on one mentorship is the best way to learn how to solve the complex technical, spatial, and managerial problems associated with building design.  that and the fact that i often learned more from watching my fellow students than i did from my professors.  just my two cents. 

Jul 8, 11 7:00 pm  · 
 · 

Hello.  

I have done extensive research on the subject. I just enrolled at LTU, after much thinking and researching the 4 schools, and I chose this one because of the price. They are all accredited and they all have similar programs, but LTU was also closer to where I live, so the drive was only 6 hours, only four non consecutive weekends. In addition, I'd rather owe 25K than 75K when I'm done.

Check this forum I posted several weeks ago: http://archinect.com/forum/thread/98665928/online-march

Also, check my spreadsheet comparing prices and benefits: http://archinect.com/forum/gallery/98665928/0/online-march#

There are several people with negative comments, but don't pay attention to that. Focus on the  positive aspects; you can work, be with your family, and still do school work on your own time. I would do it again. Plus, you can finish all 5 semesters at LTU in 1.5 years, because they have 3 semesters per year, counting Summer.

Hope this helps you.

M Juliana L.

Jul 16, 14 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
mj100

Hi Yuan-

I am currently attending LTU online and I love it. I am almost done with the Master's in Architecture program. I have to warn you, it is a lot of work!

I am learning more and working harder at LTU than I did in my undergrad school. I think this is mostly because I am working while attending LTU. I can incorporate what I have learned in school with practical applications.

The Critical Practice Studio (which used to be called Master Class), was a little stressful to me. The design studios meet through google+, so the class sizes are small (max. 8 students). You have a lot of one on one professor interactions. The professors all know me (not like at the larger universities).

I think you should give it a chance. Like I said, it is a lot of work. You have to be self motivated and organized to succeed in this program.

Good luck!

MJ

Jul 17, 14 11:23 am  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

Wow.  This is the third post I've seen on this today concerning LTU's online degree.  This is trolling to a whole new degree.  I wonder, are these profiles all operated by the same person, or if there are three interns there just typing away.

Jul 17, 14 11:30 am  · 
 · 
mj100

Hi Jd-

No, I am a different person from all of the rest. Maybe you are seeing more posts about LTU because it is getting more popular?

I just joined Archinect to post my opinion on LTU. I don't work for them. I was just tired of seeing posts stating that online architecture schools couldn't possible be as good as conventional schools.

Jul 17, 14 11:49 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

If online degree mills are all the rave these days then there would be more than one school tooting its horn.

Jul 17, 14 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
CD.Arch
I was wondering the same thing Jdparnell, because M Juliana posted the same link and practically same story on the navy thread, when the navy officer never mentioned LTU...
Jul 17, 14 1:10 pm  · 
 · 
jdparnell1218

Look out CD, M Juliana will get all mad and yell at you for pointing that out.  It is now the third time she has posted the same post.  She posted it in the hiring online graduates thread.  Seriously, three threads in one days all promoting the same online college; it is nothing more than a poor attempt at viral marketing.

Jul 17, 14 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: