Archinect
anchor

Turning to the dark side?

Non-ASD Jequitarchitectur

I am seriously contemplating about leaving architecture for quantity surveying.

I have done 3 years in archischool and 1 year in professional practice. I am a foreigner in the UK with very little site experience. I don't feel I am ever going to be put in front of a client and I fear I am going to be exploited my entire life, working overtime,doing cad or technical stuff and never get to design anything.

From my experience so far, I understand that the design of a building is nowadays driven more by the client, or financial models and even when there's enough money it's only down to senior architects or directors.

The only way to getting involved more in design would be to start a residential/ interiors practice, however being a foreigner my chances are rather dim.

Then it's the people I meet in architecture. I find that most have a very high self esteem, unjustified arrogance and unrealistic career expectations. I just can't imagine working all my life with this kind of people, it feels like babysitting.

I want to freelance at some point rather than remain an employee and be subject to office politics, corporate management and exploitation. 

I constantly think that If I am destined to do an unfulfilling job, I might as well do one that pays better. Then I hear that as a QS I would spend more time in a building site, which is something that I enjoy as opposed to being stuck behind a computer.

I also hear that QS can work in a more broad variety of projects than architects (Oil/Gas/Utilities) meaning more work available even if residential/commercial construction is down. I find job ads for 80k+ late career, which is money an architect would never make in the UK. 

Also good international opportunities in Oil/Gas and the chance to get involved in real estate development as a commercial/contracts manager with good remuneration.

How viable do you think is the quantity surveyor career path in the next years? Is that one a dying profession too, given the automation that BIM has brought about? Are QS going to be needed and valued?

Would you personally advise me to make the jump?

I'd need a 2 year MArch to get archi-qualified anyway, so I thought I could do a Msc in QS instead.  A part time (day release) conversion course while working in a trainee QS position would suit me better though. A few companies offer a sponsored day release conversion programme to non-cognate graduates and I probably stand a better chance than them given my background)

Anyone with experience on the matter?

Apr 7, 15 9:42 pm
DeTwan

I have no background in QS but from the looks of it, you got the industry totally right....I concur, run for the hills!

Apr 8, 15 11:23 am  · 
 · 
dia

It's not the dark side, its the dull side.

however, I have found (having worked with QS's in a construction company and a multi-disciplinary company currently) that QS's do get respect, but also responsibility because what they say goes in terms of the value of a contract. If you f*&^ up as a QS you really f up.

I can't see much opportunity for creativity or divergence. BIM is changing things gradually (see Cost-x) but it will be a few years yet before QS's are redundant. Architects will go first.

Apr 9, 15 3:19 am  · 
 · 
legopiece

you said it De Twan fun for the hills dude!  as far as revit,cad, rhino,grasshopper, lisp and all the software we currently have its about as automated as a model T.  Little green people dont come out in the middle of the night and draw up all the wack designs.

Apr 9, 15 2:22 pm  · 
 · 
legopiece

i meant Run for the Hills! or as an old friend would say when you get in trouble go West young man!

Apr 9, 15 2:23 pm  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

Youre going to leave architecture that is dry and doesnt pay that much, to something that is drier and is even more vulnerable to market ups and downs?

Apr 9, 15 5:12 pm  · 
 · 

@sameolddoctor How is QS more vulnerable than architecture?

Apr 9, 15 6:25 pm  · 
 · 

any more opinions on this?

Apr 13, 15 3:53 pm  · 
 · 
seattle architect

always follow your passion.

Apr 14, 15 4:41 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

follow the sound of one hand clapping...

Apr 14, 15 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

@ Seattle architect, where did that take you? I maintain a job is a job.

Apr 15, 15 8:08 pm  · 
 · 
Sean!

Estimating can be a hard job, when the S hits the fan everyone will be looking at you to understand what went wrong. Not my cup of tea, but a good estimator is worth their weight in gold and will be compensated for it. On a side note the ones I have worked with I always like, they're always nice guys; typically Irish and very knowledgeable. 

Apr 27, 15 10:59 pm  · 
 · 
eco_gen

Hi there, I worked with architecture firms when I first started out, then moved to the GC side and have varied between the GC and real estate developer side for the past few years. I have worked with QS's in house and out of house(they represented the banks that financed the projects I was working on). There were 3 people at my old job that moved from being a project manager to a QS/ estimator because it was less stressful and less time consuming. A really good QS in Canada makes ... are you ready for this ... over $150,000 a year with a top one with over 10-15 years experience making roughly $240,000. Please keep in mind that is Canadian dollars and not euros. If you are thinking of making the move, contact your local RICS office and see if you can get paired with a member who resides in the same city as you. Most of the RICS people are more than willing to meet with young new members. If you are going to be a QS in Europe, you will want your designation from RICS. Good luck!

Nov 5, 15 6:47 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: