Archinect
anchor

College decision! Help!

rkapoo

Can anyone comment on UPENN, USC and UCLA -SUPRASTUDIO-Guvenc Ozel(all M.Arch II)? I am more inclined towards the digital/parametric style!

I loved UCLA, being on the west coast an heard a lot of good things about it. But Suprastudio (UCLA) restricts me to Guvenc Ozel's studio with restricted electives. I actually applied for Greg Lynn's studio, so they are already not giving me the studio of my choice. Plus I din know who Guvenc is until recently. They have offered me some scholarship though. 

USC, on the other hand, I havnt heard many great things, but I personally love the alumni work. They have good faculty like Alving Huang, Neil Leach which would allow me to go towards the parametric direction. Plus I simply love the electives they are offering and a huge number of them.  I also have heard alot about the TROJAN network, which is said to be very strong. And most importantly they gave me a full tuition waiver ($$$$)

Upenn has been ranked the highest. I love the PPD (M.Arch II), and the faculty especially Ali Rahim and Winka Dubbledam. But considering the amount I have to pay, I somehow feel there experimental stuff lacks diversity in agendas. They have offerred me half scholarship though, but is still pretty expensive.

A city matters a lot to me, so I wanted to live in LA. I am having a hard time deciding. Would Upenn's Ivy league status matter so much in the future? Is it just me.. but I am kind of really liking the USC program, faculty and electives and the student works! Help please!

Apr 5, 15 4:58 am
rkapoo

??

Apr 6, 15 7:35 am  · 
 · 
natematt

If you want to live and work on the west coast after school you'd probably do much better going to one of the west coast schools. The reputation of UPenn really isn't that exceptional, UCLA in particular has a very good reputation for grad school and a highly regarded faculty. A lot of lesser known faculty are great though, sometimes better because they have a different attitude/approach.

Apr 6, 15 12:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: