Archinect
anchor

B.Architecture and Project Management

Arveleg

Hey all, first post here.

I'm a second year architecture major at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, with a potentially painfully obvious question:

Is a B.arch degree a good foundation for being employed in project management? 

If not, what degree(s) offer a smoother transition into this career? MBA, Construction Management, etc?

How soon is this possible (How many years experience)?

I'm pretty irritated at how design heavy the program is given it's going to consist of 5-10% of an architect's real world time anyway. 

Apr 4, 15 11:06 pm
midlander

what do you mean by project management? project managers for architecture firms are typically architects with professional arch degrees. for a developer or on the construction side, pm's usually have a construction background and sometimes business or engineering. but it can be done with a b.arch if you want to go that route, you just need to look for opportunities to work in construction early on.

it doesn't sound like you like design so you should definitely look into changing into a different degree. what exactly i don't think anyone else can tell you, look into CM and see if it suits you better.

Apr 5, 15 11:25 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: