Archinect
anchor

Independent study in china

jessmgg

Hello everyone ,

I am doing an independent study, will be based on a morphological research about the different typologies of housing in china, i will be there for 4 months documenting , drawing etc, but first I have to figure out my focus ..

I am thinking on study how does the different typologies make a connection with the exterior, through a window, door, garden etc , in some way i have to compare this to western architecture, but I don't know how..

and I have everything in my mind but i just cant write it , I need to do an introduction to start.. 

what would you do ?

Apr 4, 15 11:06 pm
midlander

why do you want to study housing in china? obviously there is something you find intriguing, and that bit is what you need to make into your focus. is it really about the relation between landscape and interior? that can be a bigger thing than just windows, it's really about planning and use of outdoor spaces. in some ways it relates to use of materials too.

what kinds of housing are you thinking to look into? urban, rural? modern, traditional, historic? there are strong regional distinctions too which can be interesting to compare. evenwithin traditional  architecture in a region there's a difference between say farmhouses and homes in a village or city. even within modern housing there are a lot of sub-categories that exhibit different approaches to construction, usage and styling. you should have a good idea what you will be studying before you get here.

fwiw, this topic is a very common research project in undergrad studios in china. i've seen many good projects studying aspects of the regional traditions, which tend to focus on the formal and material distinctions of regional vernacular in pre-modern china.

i live in china and am very much interested in the topic, so i'd be happy to help if i can.

Apr 5, 15 9:10 am  · 
 · 
bmedi

Document meticulously.

Avoid tulou.

Avoid hutong.

Apr 9, 15 9:10 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: