Archinect
anchor

architecture online blog/portal/magazine

Perotin

I am thinking about leaving architecture. Its a difficult profession. one idea is to run an architecture blog or database.

anyone with digital media experience here? any ideas how to find a business partner? any advices? share your thoughts.. ;)

Apr 2, 15 6:45 pm
moeamaya

Perotin, I would highly recommend you starting the blog or database before leaving the firm. Getting the content in front of people now will let you gauge interest and let you practice your curation strategy.

My other concern is that it takes a while to make money, and you need to have serious traffic for ad revenue. If you have some other ideas to make profit, you could also test those out early on before leaving your job.

**advice comes from running monograph.io (avg 100k views / month)

Apr 2, 15 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
Perotin

Thanks for the advice. How long did it take you to get 100k views per month?

Apr 4, 15 7:00 pm  · 
 · 
sungwoozle

moeamaya, I'm also interested in learning how you started the platform. I saw from your earlier posts that you've developed a zoom tool for vector drawings. Do you also have coding experience yourself or do you have partners in the related field?

Apr 5, 15 10:15 am  · 
 · 
moeamaya

@Perotin: It took us about 3 months of very deliberate effort; it was admittedly exhausting, which is why I suggest you stay at your firm and experiment with ideas on the side.  Once you are comfortable with the content that both you and your audience are interested in, it becomes much easier to do the harder tasks of curation, outreach, and ultimately distribution.

@sungwoozle: I learned to program in grad school, a curiosity that started after learning grasshopper. Before my thesis semester, I worked at a startup in SF and realized both financially and psychologically I'd be happier as a programmer. I still love architecture but just flipped my profession and hobby (arch <-> coding). The platform itself was developed because we couldn't find anywhere to post the types of projects (mostly digital fab) we did in grad school, and we released it to some friends to use—it just kinda grew from there.

Apr 5, 15 4:40 pm  · 
 · 
Perotin

thank you. now i just have to find a partner to do it with.. i think it will take some time ;)

Apr 12, 15 2:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: