Archinect
anchor

Will a third degree (Urban Design) help?

Pan90

Hello all,

I am having a sort of existential crisis and I come to you looking for advice. 

I am still a student and will receive my Diploma in architecture next year (March I for Americans)

(I have a Masters in Art with Honours Architecture and I am currently doing my two year masters which will enable me to get accreditation)

I have developed a strong passion for Urban Design and Planning and would like to open my own practice someday that will specialize in socially responsible architecture and Urban planning/design/research and I have been thinking lately whether I should pursue a one-year post-professional masters in Urban Design.

Do you think a post-professional degree will be necessary or is working experience more important? If I do pursue the Urban Design masters I will be 28 when I graduate (with two years working experience). Do you think I will be too old? Also, when it comes to opening your own practice will three degrees (from prestigious universities) help in winning over your prospective clients? It is really my dream to be able to design buildings and smaller urban components that will help in resolving some of the problems in the area they will be built in.

Thank you in advance for your replies!

Apr 2, 15 5:03 pm
sameolddoctor

Experience first, then go back to school as youre still young

Apr 2, 15 7:38 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: