Archinect
anchor

Returning after considerable time away

BackAgain

I was hoping to receive some advice about what job title/position/level I should be aiming for. I left architecture in 2006 and was on disability for several years. I returned to work right in the middle of the recession, about 3 years ago, and took a position in non-profit accounting. All told I have between 4 and 5 years of architecture experience and an M.Arch degree. I'm also up to date on BIM and other software.

Any suggestions? Intern 3, Unlicensed Architect 1? Thanks for all help provided.

Apr 2, 15 12:30 pm
citizen

At this point, I'd essentially ignore job titles and focus on job descriptions.  Can you perform the tasks listed?  Do you have the qualifications required?  If yes (or mostly yes), then go for it.  

Apr 2, 15 3:15 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

Yea... I never understand the notion of titles in this field.  Titles are a corporate invention to make people feel important in a management or pay structure...Intern 3....Unlicensed Architect 1....Ha!  I would never want to work in a company with classifications like that.  

Agree with citizen.  Apply for a position as an architect as long as your skill set matches what the company is looking for.

Apr 2, 15 4:32 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Perhaps you can sell yourself as a bookkeeper/designer? Might be attractive to the smaller firms

Apr 3, 15 7:14 am  · 
 · 
natematt

^this is true, even in larger firms. Bookkeeping is a tough thing for a firm to deal with because it has huge steps for scaling. I think our office could use that.

Titles are not going to help you much. You're going to just have to read all the job descriptions. The only terms that probably won't pertain to you are "licensed", "Sr", "entry-level" and, "internship" (emphasis on the "ship").

Most jobs will give a years of experience intent though, which should be a solid indicator.

Apr 3, 15 12:18 pm  · 
 · 

The only thing I would add is to be careful if there is too much of a disparity between the title and the duties described. For example if the duties listed would be for a project manager and the title is for a significantly lower position(pay). I would think you should not have too hard of a time finding something given your education and experience.

Apr 3, 15 3:33 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: