Archinect
anchor

Opinions wanted: VT at Alexandria Vs. UMD for Grad Architecture? Please suggest!

Sverre

Hi passionate Architects, 

I have a B.Arch Degree from a foreign university, I got accepted to the M.Arch 2 at UMD College Park as well at Virginia Tech Alexandria Campus. 

I  wanted to hear your opinions regarding this choice, please include future job prospects of both the institutions, reputation, networking and so on.

Many Thanks!

Apr 1, 15 3:42 pm
Sverre

No comments at all? 

Apr 2, 15 6:35 am  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

Have you visited them?  I have friends at both (or graduated already) and could only provide my own conjecture... which I wouldn't want to be your deciding factor.  The WAAC seems artsy and UMD seems pragmatic.  Both seem to be even at pumping grads into the DC Metro area. 

Apr 2, 15 8:05 am  · 
 · 
Scott Deisher

I just received my B.S. Arch from UMD last year. When you say you got into M.Arch II, I assume you mean the M.S. Arch program? For now I'll assume that's the case. That said, I actually don't think I came across anyone in that program when I was there. Perhaps those students were around and just blended in with M.Arch I thesis students, because it looks like the curriculum is structured the same as the end of the professional degree program. 

The school is pragmatic, but not in a stifling way- if you're looking to do research in a more theoretical realm, you'll be able to do so as long as you seek the proper guidance on your own and find faculty that matches your interests. The program will be revamping their curriculum in the coming years, with some good faculty leading the charge. DC and Baltimore metro area will be your best bet professionally after you graduate. Reputation is good around here but our reach doesn't really extend across the architecture world like UVA/VT. 

Remember though, I didn't even notice our M.S. Arch program during my 4 years of undergrad, so I can't really speak to it besides that fact. I don't know much about WAAC, but my favorite professor at UMD got his PhD in Architecture and Design Research there and my favorite adjunct went to teach landscape there the year after my semester with him.

It would be helpful to know what type of work you're looking to get into and even what faculty you've spoken with about the program and what they've said about it to you.

Apr 2, 15 10:43 am  · 
 · 
Sverre

SpatialSojourner & skdeish,

Many thanks for your comments!

I have visited both Schools. I am pursuing a 2 years Master (not the M.S. Arch.). In UMD is known as Master of Architecture (path A) and in VT as M.Arch.2, Advanced Professional Studies. 

More about my background: Civil engineer degree (5 years) and later an Architecture Bachelor (2 years).

Definitely my technical is stronger than the artistic.

My impression about the schools and Master programs:

UMD, Pragmatic, and a lot of local professional contacts. They aims to teach you to materialize things that you are able to dream. A collaboratively atmosphere. Small school immerse in a big Campus, so I guess you have access to extra resources. Also offer the option of dual programs.

VT (WACC) Artistic, sense of flexibility, that offer the possibility to mix with people from different backgrounds and origins (a bit more multiculti). A unique approach to the Arch Labs (different scale projects, and the groups are defined at the last minute. Students and Faculty are able to choose and list their first 3 preferences among 8 different projects. Small school in a cozy and convenient location. Not many resources (there is not even a 3D printing machine). Option of dual programs (a prestigious Landscape program, # 2 in the US).

What am I interested in?

As an Architect with an Civil Engineer degree, I suppose a artistic touch will enhance my profile. Within the architecture there are many different things to do. Still I don't know what I like most, however I can list my interests and not interests at all.

I am not interested in Real Estate, Preservation.

I like architecture competitions, visualization but mostly digital tools (not just rendering, photoshop, I mean analysis and design tools i.e. EcoTec, Rhino,plugins as grasshopper).

I am also interested in steel and timber structures. facades, curtain walls.

In my country there is not an specific Urban and Landscape program, However this scale attract me A LOT. There is so many thing that as an Architects we can change.

Reputation and Networking is something that is very important to me. I would like to get working experience here in the US but, I am not sure if I will be here my entire life.

I have include a sample of work in my link so you could have a better impression about me.

ACADEMIC PORTFOLIO

http://issuu.com/agni_m/docs/portf_umd_vt/1

ONGOING PROJECT

http://issuu.com/agni_m/docs/dcastro_final/1

MANY THANKS :)

Apr 5, 15 12:55 pm  · 
 · 
Sverre

Please! any comment would be highly appreciated! :)

Apr 7, 15 1:25 am  · 
 · 
Sverre

VT at Alexandria Vs. UMD for Grad Architecture?????

Apr 8, 15 1:27 pm  · 
 · 
Sverre

Please! any comment would be highly appreciated! :) Time to choose is getting close

Apr 9, 15 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
people

wonder

Mar 24, 17 1:17 pm  · 
 · 
people

I wonder where u are at now

Mar 24, 17 1:18 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: