Archinect
anchor

GSAPP or Full Funding at CCA

gpierre

I got admitted into a few choices for grad school, but I have finally decided on two options: Either MS.CCCP at Columbia GSAPP (Master of Critical, Curatorial, and Conceptual Practices in Architecture- 2 yrs) OR March 2 Advanced Standing at California College of the Arts in San Francisco.

Since I've interned at the Storefront for Art for Architecture, I've been very interested in a career in critical architecture, curatorial/exhibition practice. I was very excited to get accepted at GSAPP but am worried that since the degree is commonly associated with students who already have an March degree and are interested in further their education.... I'm afraid I might be going taking two steps forward without the fundamentals from an March degree. 

They have offered me loans with fafsa and work study, but no scholarship money. But I fill that would get a great amount of resources for what I'm interested in pursuing, as well as connections in NYC to exhibit work in some of the biggest galleries like MOMA. A very unique opportunity that MS.CCCP students have. And I'm generally from NYC, so I already have established my own personal connections.

On the other hand, California College of the Arts have offered me two scholarships worth $45,510 a year, which the exact amount for full tuition. Work-study worth 3,000, and $10000 worth of loans year, which would cover housing. Which is funding worth $58,000 a year! I would be in the March 2 program. Only 2 years to get the degree. And I can become an accredited architect and hopefully practice my critical/curatorial practice conjuctively with my professional architecture career. Also San Francisco is a lovely city. Plus general an education at an art school would be quite valuable in terms of integrating new forms of mediums. 

A professor at CCA has already offered me an internship position at HKIT architects in SF, and the school is allowing me to study abroad in Vienna/Madrid the summer before I even start the school year!

Its seems like CCA is working really hard to have me here and getting more and more difficult to resist? However getting into Columbia was really a stretch for me especially with my low grades/gre scores. So am having a hard time deciding where I should go? Two different career paths in two different cities--- NYC or San Fran. Both are really good opportunities. But no money would be coming out of my pocket at CCA.

Mar 31, 15 1:46 pm
Alternative

CCA and it's not close. It's an objectively shittier school but will set you up for an objectively better life after graduation.

Mar 31, 15 1:48 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Just to be clear, 20k in loans is totally money out of your own pocket, you have to pay them back, with interest. (it's not that bad of a loan number, but it's hardly free money)

Anway, if you're paying full or most of the cost at GSAPP it's an obvious choice to go to CCA. Also, if one is accredited and the other is not, and you don't have an accredited degree then it's an obvious choice if you want to become a licensed architect.

Good luck deciding!

Mar 31, 15 9:46 pm  · 
 · 
david_lisbon

I would agree that CCA may be a better place to start a career and have the certifications you may want in the future.

good luck!

Apr 10, 18 1:28 pm  · 
 · 
thisisnotmyname

CCA thinks you are a star.  GSAPP does not.

Go to CCA.

Apr 10, 18 1:42 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

Are you brain dead? CCA in a cakewalk.

Apr 11, 18 9:44 am  · 
 · 
“””1991”

this thread is from 2015, I’m pretty sure wherever they went, they’ve already graduated 

Apr 11, 18 10:34 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: