Archinect
anchor

USC or SCI-ARC

UnderPressure

I know this is one of those frequent questions, but I still hope to gain some suggestions. I'm torn between the two schools and I'm still waiting for a decision from Cooper Union (which i doubt I'll be able to get in... i mean its 4 %)

Recently I received offers from both sci-arc and USC. I've always wanted to study architecture and I know what pursuing this path will be like (both my parents are architects and I practically grew up in their office). Ever since my latest visit to the states (I'm an international student), USC kind of became my dream school, it has the whole college experience package, whereas sci-arc provides the 'hands-on' rigorous curriculum that I'm extremely interested in but its campus is ..relatively less appealing (from what I've seen on its website. And i heard that its not as 'social' as universities).

Some people say that I should choose SCI-ARC because its 'light year ahead of USC in terms of architecture'. However, on the other hand, many people say that SCI-ARC students have a harder time looking for jobs as graduates. Moreover, as an international student, it bothers me that SCI-ARC doesn't provide dorms.

I'm torn between these two, but I'm still looking forward to an acceptance letter from Cooper Union (which would make it an even harder choice...)

Despite my passion towards architecture, I still hope to take classes in subjects other than architecture , which is something that schools like Cooper Union and Sci-arc might not be able to provide.

So could someone please help me with my decision by listing the pros and cons of some of these schools? If possible it would be great to hear from alumni or current students! Thankssss :)

Mar 29, 15 11:05 pm
arch1997c

I think it's about what you really want within your education. I can't really give you a suggestion, but I'll run down what I'm thinking at the moment with my choices. I'm kind of looking forward to SCI-Arc (I would probably go to SCI-Arc over USC, but THATS just my own opinion.) yet I'm taken back from a couple factors that I won't talk about. From what I know, SCI-Arc is unique in that, you learn a different/experimental style of architecture and I like that, plus you use a huge amount (if not all?) of technology to produce works. I love working with computers, and within the process of the creation of my portfolio, I developed a taste for more avant-garde creations, which SCI-Arc provides. 

I am an international student too, and my viewpoint from the campus thing is that since you're an architecture student, would you really need the campus? What is it that bothers you that there are no dorms at SCI-Arc? Is it the cost you are worried about, or the "social" aspect? I'd think that we, as architecture students, would be spending most of our time in studio working on our stuff. Plus, both schools are within the L.A region, so you won't be worrying about being in an isolated environment.

P.S: Since your parents are architects, I'm kind of interested in their perspectives on SCI-Arc/USC/CoopUnion. What are their opinions?

Apr 1, 15 6:01 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Do us all a favor, go with the school that is the cheapest to attend, please?

Apr 1, 15 9:15 am  · 
 · 
Janosh

Have you visited them?  Those two schools could hardly be more different.

Apr 1, 15 11:43 am  · 
 · 
rkapoo

And I am stuck here between USC M.Arch II and UPenn. Want to hear more about USC? I kinda like the way they let student choose their own path!!

@underpressure.. which program have you been selected to? Where are you planning to go?

Apr 5, 15 5:25 am  · 
 · 

me and my lack of funds

i actually think my convo.s w Sci-arc however long ago 
like said something to the effect of math & sci subs.
And the freedom to focus on it if there was tht want...

Sci Arc seemed like a very librl schl act.ly

Apr 5, 15 9:30 am  · 
 · 

http://www.sciarc.edu/images/news/2007_8_catalog.pdf

https://www.cooper.edu/sites/default/files/uploads/assets/site/files/catalogs/2014-Catalog_Architecture.pdf

http://www.usc.edu/dept/publications/cat2011/private/pdf/2011_2012/architecture.pdf

https://catalogue.usc.edu/files/2013/05/Architecture.pdf

I actually didn't read the USC catalog. I'm shifting between CU and SCI-ARC. Sci arc has more subs that I'm interested in i think. idk.

and i hope my statemnt before - using the word 'focus' was not interpreted as...working for a math or sci degree in an arch. school! lol.

Apr 8, 15 1:47 am  · 
 · 
rkapoo

Hey, May I know why ain't you considering USC? 

Apr 8, 15 4:07 pm  · 
 · 
rkapoo

USC is kind of free ride for me? But I dont know many people graduated from USC! And I have Penn to consider, which is highly ranked. But yea it is going to cost me double that of USC. So I am not really sure to simply pick up a free ride over an Ivy league!

Apr 8, 15 4:11 pm  · 
 · 
Cmegowan

As a graduate of USC's Barch program, I can attest to the quality education I received at USC.  It was a well rounded education, there was a real sense of community, a lot of fun and A LOT of work.  

If you're saavy enough, you can select your school based on what type of career you're after. In my case, I knew I wanted to work for myself and have my own practice (which, in large part thanks to my time at USC, I've succeeded in doing http://www.christophermegowandesign.com).  In order to achieve this, you must have a broad/general understanding of many different aspects of Architecture.  That goes far beyond creating wild forms, concept generation and creating glossy images (it is not my intention to imply that this is what SCIARC does).  I feel strongly (enough to post on the subject anyway) that my time at USC gave me the tools to understand this broad spectrum of what it takes to practice and get ideas built...and for that I'm a thankful alum.

That's my endorsement anyway, but you don't have to take my word for it:

http://www.archdaily.com/444902/the-best-us-architecture-schools-for-2014-are/

Apr 8, 15 9:28 pm  · 
 · 
rkapoo

@cmegawan.. Its great what you have done! The work looks really nice. But now when I think USC's B.Arch program is pretty famous but not the masters. Do you know people who did their masters from USC and doing as well?

Apr 9, 15 12:59 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: