Archinect
anchor

Reminder: DO NOT incur six figures of debt for an architecture degree

curtkram

jla, i think volunteer is trying to say that things changed.  a lawyer pushing 40s, maybe mid 30s is quite probably doing well, but lawyers in their upper 20s, maybe early 30s, are operating in a different climate.

things for young lawyers today are not the same as they were when someone around 40 was the same age.  it is not a question of 'paying dues.'

Apr 1, 15 12:24 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

Crap, my wife is working from home today and our house is not zoned for that use.... I hope no one finds out

Apr 1, 15 12:58 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

^ that also heavily depends on the type of law that you practice.  From what I have seen lawyers usually make more money and hit career milestones way younger than architects.  Don't get me wrong, I would rather work the most banal architecture job than the most exciting law job any day but that dosent mean that its a financially wise choice.  On the other hand, now that the economy is doing well, most of my friends in arch firms with 5-10+ years experience are making a decent living...

Apr 1, 15 12:59 pm  · 
 · 
video_killed

@Alternative

What is your background and where did you go to school? You seem to be very anti-Ivy and anti-taking out loans of any kind. What are the personal experiences that got you there? 

You can't just expect us to take your advice blindly without understanding the context. 

Apr 2, 15 12:18 pm  · 
 · 
Alternative

Who said anything about being anti-Ivy?

I'm against unreasonable amounts of debt taken out by twentysomethings who still don't know the value of a dollar. I'm also strongly against people taking out loans and expecting the federal government to bail them out because of their poor foresight. 

I'm posting during admissions seasons with the hope that one or two people will take this advice and not ruin their life with debt.

People can talk all the shit they want but I think of this as a little bit of community service that I can do while I work at my computer throughout the day.

Apr 2, 15 12:22 pm  · 
 · 
video_killed

So, you post blindly and purport to give people "advice" on their personal financial decisions without knowing anything about their background, values, or personal situation. 

And you're not even drawing from your own life experiences in this department? Why would you assume twentysomethings don't know the value of a dollar? Plenty of them do and are responsible enough to make their own decisions about their future. 

Yeah, it'd be great to have no student loans, but education is an investment. As long as they're aware of how much they're going to have to make in monthly payments and what they can take on. And as long as they're aware of the sacrifices they'll have to make in other areas. 

You wouldn't go around telling people not to borrow money to buy a house or a car, would you? Or does a mortgage also fall under your definition of "ruining your life with debt"?

Apr 2, 15 6:27 pm  · 
 · 
Alternative

I'm posting anonymously but I wouldn't be sharing my views if I didn't have personal experience—and accompanying opinions—on the matter.

I would also tell people not to borrow money for a house or a car if they'd risk defaulting on those loans and therefore risk foreclosure and repossession. Credit default can destroy your credit score and affect things like (1) employability (employers check your credit score), (2) being able to have a family, (3) starting your own business (people need business lines of credit).

But unlike home and car loans, student debt isn't dischargeable under bankruptcy, and in that sense has the power to be more financially ruinous than either of the not-so-analogous examples you've provided.

Have you attended grad school?

Apr 2, 15 6:37 pm  · 
 · 

Video_killed,

You need to keep in mind that fresh out of high school and alot of fresh out of undergrad graduates with zero work experience in architecture, in general do not have much of a clue in what the wage/salary environment is like.

It is not taught in grade school anywhere in the U.S. Even so called career counselors don't teach this stuff to students. In fact, most have no clue anyway. Blind leading the blind so to speak.

Architecture school don't generally talk about what wage/salary is like in the profession let alone the wage/salary demographics. 

How do you propose someone is going to pay off student loans attending grad school for 3 to 4 years especially if it costs $45K to $75K a year. $75k for 3 years is over $200K. how do you pay off $200K in the 20-30 years limit that you have to pay the loans off and clear your debt so you can progress in life professionally and even qualify for the level of line of credit or things necessary to run a business. Otherwise, you'll die with debts and your assets seized so your children get totally f---ed when the debt collectors foreclose on your assets when your dead so your home... kiss that one good bye. They can foreclose on a $1 million home over as little as $1,000 debt. Ironic. Sad but true because people have lost their home even though they only had $1,000 so when the foreclosed home is auctioned off... it can be auctioned off for as little as $1,000 + minimal administrative fees like $2,000 a $500,000 to even $1,000,000 house could be had because they can foreclose a house even if the debt is $1.00 

Rarely would a home be foreclosed over such ridiculously small amount of debt and usually the debt is higher but the debt doesn't have to be anywhere close to the value of the home. There is no minimum percentage of the value of the home that they have to meet to foreclose when a house is placed as collateral.

Seriously, this happened only less than 10 years ago. People lost their jobs and their homes and often the debt wasn't even 10% of the value of the home. The banks foreclosed and took it because debtors failed to pay their payments.

When you take on more debt than you can pay, it can ruin families, cause divorces, lawsuits, etc. Life can turn into a real wreck if you are not careful. Just because you may know the principle, you need to look at your working career prospects seriously and REALISTICALLY. Is it realistic that you can have a $100K job in 10 years in architecture after graduating from university with an M.Arch? 

How realistic is that? You really shouldn't take on debts over $100K unless you are going to be having a starting annual salary equal to 75% or more of the base debt. This way, you can pay it off and be done with it. If you are ever going to start a business, you should realistically be able to pay off your loans in 10 years or less without it being over 20% of your income. This way, you can actually save money to start a business called capitalization otherwise, you better have some other strategy to capitalize but the bottom line is that it has to sensibly work into your income.

If you aren't there, it is going to hurt. In this profession, salary of $100K+ is more rare than most other occupations. It is easier to make $100K income in the tech field than it is in architecture. If you are going to venture into taking on a $100K to 200K or more debt from college, then you might want to consider other fields to pay off your debt. 

Architecture is not a get rich quick occupation. It is more a get poor quick occupation than it is an occupation that pays well If it was, there wouldn't be 70-80% of architecture field practitioners (be it as interns, or licensed architects or anywhere in between) complaining about pay and such. People who are paid well in other occupations do not have high percentage of complaints about pay. Every single architecture forum I been to, there is a high percentage of its members complaining about pay. I damn near never hear about people whining about pay in IT field and other fields where pay is decent.

What should that say even with any resemblance of statistical sampling theory. During the recession, I never seen a day on any of the forums that people weren't complaining about the profession.

When a profession as a business of architecture is broken, that can't possibly be good. It would obvioulsy imply that people's pay is suffering. It makes no sense in getting in big debt loads in a profession where the business of the profession is broken and a financial failure.

Do the math and think really hard?

Apr 2, 15 7:28 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

Let me re-post what I wrote in another thread:

There are only three degrees worth 100k+: T14 Law, Medicine, and M7 MBA. Most medical schools are worth the money (not Caribbean schools), since the supply of doctors is restricted by the AMA, so most will be making 150-200K+ after their residency, upwards to 500K+ in their career. Most will pay off their loans quickly.

A M7 MBA is worth the cost because it can vaunt you into Banking, Consulting, or Tech with a salary that can pay off their loans easily.

For Law, you have to go to a Top 14 USNews law school for a greater than 50% chance of making 160K in a corporate law firm and paying off 200K+ of debt. The work is miserable and most stay long enough to pay off their loans and leave since their chances of making partner are nil.

If you didn't go to the top law schools, your chances getting those corporate law jobs go down the lower the school's USNews ranking is. Go to the ones just below the top 14? You need to rank in the top 1/3 (1/4 to be safe) to get a 160K job. Even lower than that? We're talking 5-10% of the class. Even lower? Maybe the top 1-5 people. Everyone who doesn't get those jobs are left with is 40-50k jobs, or any job at all, servicing six figures of debt. It's bimodal distribution of law salaries.

Which brings me to Architecture school.

Architecture school is a lot like law school these days, except that there are no 160K jobs waiting for the graduates of top architecture schools. There is NO student who has made 160K at their first job out of Harvard GSD or Columbia or Sci-Arc. Yet they expect student to pay upwards of 200K to attend their prestigious schools.

You may get to work for top names, but you'll be working for peanuts, or free, for the privilege of working 80 hour+ weeks in some of the most expensive cities in the world. At least law pays you well for such punishing work! Don't let them find out what good deals starchitects are getting from their gullible graduates!

Many Architecture students think they are special snowflakes who will one day be the next starchitect or partner at SOM or whatever. A lot of architecture grads felt that way in 2008 too. Except that with these jobs, unlike the other degrees above, you don't have a 100%, 50% or even 10% chance of getting the top jobs with the top salaries to match. We're talking decimal percentages here even from the top programs after decades of working in obscurity. And taking 100K+ out for such low odds is foolish. 

Yes school can change your life, for better and for worse. If debt doesn't matter to you because you'll get it paid off by mom and dad, great. Get a full ride? Even better. Know the entire Forbes 100 richest list personally? You're set. All I ask is that you hire me in your sleek new firm as your head CAD monkey.

But for unconnected schmoes looking at 150K for a top M.Arch. degree? Not worth it for what you will be making. Take the money and run. Good luck all.

Apr 2, 15 8:44 pm  · 
 · 
video_killed

I think there are good loans, and bad loans. If all the loans you take out are federal, and you can elect income based repayment the first couple of years, or even if you don't, a $45,000 starting salary is still livable. You won't be rich, but you won't be starving. If you're taking out private loans (there's no good reason to do this), then you might be f***ed. 

This is what I've been told by recent grads with 6 figures in debt: your take home pay will be around $3000 a month. $1000 will go towards student loans. The remaining $2000 a month is totally livable. You can even set some aside for retirement. Many people live on much less. 

I haven't attended grad school. I'm actually in the process of taking out what you would probably consider an absurd amount of loans to start M.Arch in the fall. Ironically, for Columbia, which you mentioned somewhere else. 

But I do this as a twentysomething who knows the value of a dollar, has an excellent credit score, and is fairly financially literate. In fact, I studied finance for my undergrad. I do this knowing fully well that these loans mean I probably won't be in a place to buy a house or start a family until I'm 40. And I'm perfectly okay with that. As I said, it's a personal decision whether your education is worth the sacrifice. 

I don't appreciate people spewing blanket, one-sided bad advice that they aren't backing up with numbers, or even anecdotal evidence. This is the same kind of thinking that leads young people from disadvantaged backgrounds not to apply to Ivy league schools (where they could be getting a free ride due to scholarships and generous endowments) and instead opt for state schools or community college where they end up paying much more money. Someone along the way told them "it costs $65,000 a year to go to Harvard" and scared them off. This kind of misinformation just galls me. 

I think the advice to be giving out is instead: 

1. Have a realistic idea of the numbers involved with your decision. Sit down and do a spreadsheet. Research what your loan repayments will be, what your take home pay will be, and make sure you understand what it means to live off of that number. 

2. Don't take out private loans. They probably will put you in a position where you end up defaulting. And they are much less forgiving/flexible about repayment options. 

3. Make sure you're doing it for a school that has excellent job placement and networking opportunities. 

4. Seek out as many scholarship opportunities as you can, from the school and from outside sources. 

This is all advice I've received from recent architecture grads with six figures in debt. All of the ones I talked to were all happy with their decisions and gainfully employed. 

I'm sorry things didn't work out so well for you personally. But I wanted to share the other side of the argument for anyone reading this in the future. Have a very clear idea of what you're getting into. Grad school is a lot of money, but you are the only one who can decide if it's worth it. If having kids early and buying a big house are important to you (they aren't to me), this path is probably not for you. But there's no need to try and scare people off from investing in their education at all. 

Apr 2, 15 9:40 pm  · 
 · 

Don't forget to take out an additional $800-$1,000 a month for your federal and state taxes. You have only about $1,000 to maybe $1200 a month to pay rent and food and all your living.

Federal tax of 15-20% and about 10% of your taxable income being state taxes which is about 100% of your employment income.

Living on $1000-$1200 a month is barely even livable.

You don't have a lot of room.

Apr 2, 15 9:54 pm  · 
 · 

Keep in mind that Federal loans whether they are subsidized or unsubsidized loans are capped on how much they give out a year to any given student.  They give out about the same amount to students of private college as they do public colleges. This usually means to afford an Ivy league school, you need some pretty decent scholarships/grants. 

There is also a max amount of federal student loans that maybe issued to a student.... basically max indebtedness amount. IIRC: It's something like $130K or so - give or take.

FAFSA has official numbers so don't hold too closely with the number I quoted. It's coming out of memory.

You can only have so much outstanding loan from the government. This number is also the same amount banks sometimes or tends to look at in whether or not to issue their private loans. You would have to have a full-time job that is paying well for a bank to approve lending if you are already that far in debt.

So pay attention to how much loans you ALREADY have from undergrad. 

It is a factor to keep in mind.

Apr 2, 15 10:09 pm  · 
 · 
Alternative

Please contact me when you're financially ruined from your GSAPP degree. Not kidding, and good luck.

Apr 2, 15 10:16 pm  · 
 · 

When you exceed $138,500 for graduate/professional students in outstanding federal student loans, it can be a problem to get private student loans because banks and many other private student loan providers often uses this figure as a cutoff and basis for denying a student loan application unless you have substantial income or otherwise something that can influence them to approve. There are providers of such that may not look at these figures and this can be a problem for a student after college in a profession that has substandard pay in comparison to similar level degreed individuals in other occupations.

Recommendation is to have very good scholarships and grants packages otherwise you can find trouble making it through the degree program. 

Apr 2, 15 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Richard your link is specifically limits for Direct Student Loans (subsidized and unsubsidized Stafford loans) - not all types of federal loans.  In theory a student could borrow an additional 87k in Perkins loans on top of Stafford loans over the course of his undergrad and grad school careers, and even more (up to total cost of attendance) in federal PLUS loans.  Not that I'm advocating doing that!!! - I'm just correcting your trail of misinformation.  Because all grad students are considered independent students for purposes of qualifying for federal loans (parents' finances aren't considered), a larger percentage of grad students than undergrads qualify for Perkins loans.

Apr 2, 15 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
Alternative

Just one other thing. My finances are fine and nothing has gone wrong wih my career. I have seen others whose personal lives were ruined by student debt. And, darling, 2 grand a month ain't shit to survive as an adult with a professional degree. If you don't like what I'm writing, then don't read it. Maybe start a thread asking people to blow smoke up your ass and applaud your decision.

Apr 2, 15 10:49 pm  · 
 · 

In general, You don't get all the loan types that are offered.

Apr 2, 15 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

this absolutely amusing people yelling at each other on how to feel about debt or spend their money.

You should believe in debt!

You should deny debt, it's not real!

I get it, on one hand there are 20 somethings that can't think well outside mommy and daddy's house and therefore will probably crash and burn and in the end owe nothing because they will go bankrupts - so who cares, it's only debt? mommy and daddy will let them move back in, don't worry about them....

then there's the 20 somethings who are unsure, who I think Alternatives is trying to talk to, because they may actually try to repay their loans instead of realizing they may just be fucked when graduating and probably think an education should take care of them.

then there are 20 somethings who take care of themselves whether conservatively or high risk, and no advice is necessary.

Apr 2, 15 11:19 pm  · 
 · 

PLUS loans generally requires sufficient credit score without adverse credit history. Accumulating student loans after loans can be a problem and getting PLUS loans and somewhere along the process, income to debt ratio plays into consideration since they do factor in what you already have as loans. 

https://studentaid.ed.gov/types/loans/perkins

Also, perkin loans... only $8K a year but a total of $60K which at the theoretical capacity of $195K which unless you have a healthy paying full-time job or a VERY GOOD paying part-time job, I doubt you can get the PLUS loan once your loan reaches that level because you won't likely have the financial fortitude for consideration of future payment because they look to your past to current income based on previous credit reporting / tax reporting in their equation for predicting/determining your ability to pa off the loans.

Apr 2, 15 11:44 pm  · 
 · 

By sufficient credit score, I mean not having adverse credit and too much debt to income ratio will in fact reduce credit score.

Apr 2, 15 11:51 pm  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The student loan system is a welfare system for the schools. The student acts as a pumping station for the funds from the Treasury to the school. In exquisite irony the "elite" private schools, like Columbia, have a bigger pipeline to the US Treasury per student than the state universities do. You could not make this stuff up.

Apr 3, 15 8:11 am  · 
 · 
On the fence

Video killed

$40k minus $12k minus taxes leaves you with about $1680 per month.  It is almost livable, if you liked and will continue to like into your late thirties, living like you do in school.

Which is to say poorly.  Ramen noodles once a month is fine, but three times a week will wear on you while you watch everybody around you start driving new cars and buying nice bottles of wine.  And women may date you while poor and in school (investing in their perceived futures with an architect) but being 35, in debt, living in your parents basement is a big turn off.

Apr 3, 15 9:53 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

its not that borrowing money is necessarily a bad thing...the main problem is that its become systematic. 

Apr 3, 15 11:53 am  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Richard your definition of "adverse credit" is the definition that most private lenders would use.

However, the definition of "adverse credit" used for federal student loans, including PLUS loans, is not directly related to credit score, and it isn't at all difficult for graduate students in particular to obtain PLUS loans, because current debt load is not a factor in these lending decisions, nor is credit score. This is why student loans are too easy to obtain, and how students get themselves so deeply in debt.

"Adverse credit" for federal loan purposes is defined as a credit history that includes a current delinquency of 90 or more days, or that includes one or more of the following derogatory events within the past five years: default on a federal loan debt without rehabilitation, bankruptcy discharge, foreclosure, repossession, tax lien, wage garnishment or other default determination.

If a student does have any of the marks listed above on their record, the only one that will disqualify them entirely is default on a federal student loan.  The others will usually make it necessary to include a co-signer on the loan, but won't disqualify them.

Apr 3, 15 3:00 pm  · 
 · 

It is explicitly indicated that they look at credit score as the value of a credit score is used in assuming financial fortitude and likelihood of repaying the debt. Credit score includes not only that number but that credit check takes into factor alot of other information too that is provided. When someone is checking your credit score, they aren't just getting a number but other information as well.

Trust me when I tell you this, in most cases with students, if they need a co-signer, they are S.O.L. because most parents and most other people do not co-sign. This is because co-signing means you assume the debt if the applicant fails to pay and that burden is yours. Guess what, most parents don't love their children enough to co-sign. Most people never co-sign with others unless it is for business.

I for one have never seen a person willing to co-sign a loan. I never meet anyone willing to co-sign something like a student loan. They may co-sign for a business loan as a business partnership and that is assumed. 

Good luck finding a co-signer. If you are required to have a co-signer then you are disqualified unless you can get a qualifying co-signer.

GOOD LUCK finding one.

Apr 3, 15 6:37 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Richard I'm not suggesting that anyone try to get a co-signer.  All I was pointing out is that virtually nothing automatically disqualifies students from taking out federal loans.

The language that I posted above is straight out of the federal regulations regarding PLUS loans, under the definition of "adverse credit". It is NOT explicitly stated in those regulations that credit score is a factor. As for debt to income ratio: this is not a factor in the awarding of student loans.  That's the problem!  If it was, then nearly no students would qualify to amass 6-figure loans.  Instead, the students with the lowest incomes and having the least assets are actually the ones who qualify to borrow the most, because they have the highest documented need.

If the student doesn't have "adverse credit" per the federal loan regs definition, and if the school signs off on the level of financial need, the loans will nearly always be granted - no co-signer required. If they do have any of those specific marks of adverse credit then a co-signer would be required.  

And I don't argue with your reasons why a lot of people won't co-sign loans.  But you're wrong that nobody co-signs.  Think about this: nearly all private student loans require a co-signer - and the private student loan industry does big business: hence there are a lot of co-signers out there!

Apr 3, 15 6:55 pm  · 
 · 

Bloopox,

Sure but unless your parents or yourself makes $150K a year or more.... I highly doubt it because the co-signer would almost have to make like $250K a year to not balk at paying student loans and the loan applicant would have to have like a $125K a year income or something like that and be VERY close. Where the hell would you find a co-signer? For 90% of us, co-signer is an option that damn near doesn't exist. Otherwise, the loan has to be very VERY small and the applicant has a job and is able to pay it off in full in very short time.

In order for me to have my parents co-sign, I would have to have the money secured to pay off the loan in like 30 days which begs the question of why even apply for the loan?

I believe most of us have parents more like my own... maybe not 30 days part but maybe a little longer time frame but still.... the loan would have to be pretty small and your monthly income would equal or exceed the loan amount.

That is like the only time 90% of us would be able to get a co-signer because to get someone to co-sign for us, you have to have a fool proof situation where the loan is absolutely not needed and the loan amount will be paid in full. 

So the question, why would anyone in their right mind get a loan if they are not in need for a loan?

Or do people like paying an extra interest amount on top of whatever they were going to spend the loan money on instead of using the money they already have?

There is this thing called living within your financial means.

Why would someone be willing to be a co-signer? For example, I can't just walk up to Warren Buffet and ask him to be a co-signer or Bill Gates. Sure, $100K loans would be a drop in lake to their money but you don't think they got all that money by sharing that wealth around and being co-signers and paying off other people's student loan debts?

In the context of student loans, in the real world of the majority of us that are out there, getting a co-signer that would qualify is almost mythical.

Your not suggesting people get a co-signer... sure but in the world of most people, co-signers are not an option because they don't exist because the majority of people do not qualify to be co-signer or they do but aren't willing to place themselves and their assets at risk for someone else and it is extremely rare that a student loan applicant would be in a position that would secure a co-signer from any risk. Then they wouldn't be in a position where they would require a co-signer. Most co-signing doesn't happen when the student loan applicant needs a co-signer. Most happens when they don't need it. That is usually when most co-signers are willing to be co-signers

That is how it happens in the real world. That is one of those things where loan policies are out of touch with the real world.

90%+ of those who need co-signers never get co-signers because the very fact they need co-signer to get the loan is a flag that makes co-signers not want to sign. 

It is like this - "I'm not going to co-sign a loan for someone else if they can't get the loan without me and pay it off. The very need of a co-signer is the very reason to not co-sign."

Basically, that is how people look at co-signing.

We are pretty much an "every man for himself" culture.

Apr 3, 15 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Richard you're generalizing based on your own and your acquaintances' experiences.

But the private student loan market exceeded $25billion last year, and close to 90% of those loans had co-signers - so not every student has a family whose financial situation or values are similar to yours.

Apr 3, 15 9:25 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

With PLUS loans there are some additional reasons why parents choose to co-sign for loans issued to the student rather than take out parent PLUS loans directly:

1. The interest rates for student PLUS loans are much lower than the rates for parent PLUS loans.  

2.  Parents aren't eligible for IBR or other income-sensitive "pay as you earn" repayment plans.  Even if the student makes full payments (not income-sensitive reduced payments) each month, there are significant saving associated with enrolling in IBR, because all interest is waived for the first three years and afterward it does not compound.  This can amount to savings of tens of thousands of dollars over the life of the loan.

3. If the loan is in the student's name then as long as it's paid on time it helps the new grad establish a good credit history.  

I understand this is not something your family would consider.  There are a lot of potential pitfalls for parents who do take this risk.  Nonetheless, many do it.

Apr 3, 15 9:35 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

You got trolled by Richard. Sorry to be rude, but am I the only one on archinect that actually skip through his posts? 

Apr 5, 15 9:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: