Archinect
anchor

pureness in architecture

Liuck

Dear all,

I would like to make some architectural / art related researches on this topic I am not able to define.
white, minimal, pure, sometimes clinical...
These images will tell you more than my own words.
If you have any other reference, essay, book, thought or whatever could help me define this I would be very grateful.

I hope my english is not too bad 
p.s. I am a student in Fine Arts who makes short movies.

Mar 29, 15 9:52 pm

pureness = sterile. okay!

Mar 29, 15 10:09 pm  · 
 · 

Richard Balkins Sir

all of your posts should be so 

succinct or Haiku

Mar 29, 15 10:27 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Doug Wheeler's installation at Venice's Palazzo Grassi might interest you.

Mar 29, 15 10:35 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

So purity only has to do with color? That seems like a questionable conclusion.

Mar 30, 15 12:18 am  · 
 · 
The movie Antiviral has a beautiful white spare office/clinic in its opening scenes. Everything detail considered.
Mar 30, 15 6:49 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

why does white = pure?  its something people just made up at some point.  you should use you brain and challenge that notion.  its too easy to photo white spaces...

Mar 30, 15 9:59 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

pureness is boring

Mar 30, 15 10:16 am  · 
 · 
mightyaa

Depends on context.  I do car dealerships.  A trend I like is this white canvas building.  The vehicles, the displays, etc. become the focus.

So here's the new Ferrari standard...

Or others.  Saab, Bentley, Porsche, Rolls, etc. are all going for that blank canvas look.  Works well in retail where the product and display is what brings the room to life.

Mar 30, 15 10:37 am  · 
 · 
natematt

But those Ferraris are messing up the pureness!

In all seriousness though, wouldn't something like minimalist concrete buildings be more "pure" ??? I'm not one to think that buildings need to be materially honest, but I think that would align more with the "purity" argument than color. At least in architecture.

Even from a standpoint of color I think it could be argued that white is only one approach to purity in architecture. I mean, think of cars, what color cars look the dirtiest? White, because while the color itself is "pure" it shows off dirt more than other colors. I think in that sense you could argue that painting a space grey would be more functionally pure than painting it white. 

More importantly, I think the argument is missing elements beyond color/materiality. Are we ignoring form and details?

Mar 30, 15 11:30 am  · 
 · 
go do it

Remember what that guy said about ornament.

Mar 30, 15 12:03 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Considering your focus on white, you might also enjoy Kenya Hara's book, WHITE.

Mar 30, 15 1:25 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

^good point, but that actually depends on locale. If you are in a location that accumulates lighter color sediments on things then yes, black cars are worse. If you are in an area that accumulates darker sediments it's white cars. I live in LA and there is an eternal and unavoidable black dust that collects on everything, my white car is dirty the same day I wash it.

The point that white is not inherently more pure from a functional sense is still applicable in my mind, unless you wish to argue that white is the "least" dirty color.

Mar 30, 15 1:58 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: