Archinect
anchor

University of Oregon Portland Campus - MArch

brw27

Does anyone have information or insight about University of Oregon's MArch program at the Portland location? How does it compare to the main campus in Eugene (i.e. facilities, professors...)? 

Mar 27, 15 1:48 pm

It might be too late for this, but the Portland campus and Eugene campus trade back and forth a lot. Professors visit between the two and exchange teaching quarters between the two. Students from one campus can also very easily transfer to the other. Eugene has more classes offered and more research base, but Portland has more professional connection and urban planning. I have a few friends who did a year on each campus. 

Apr 21, 15 2:41 pm  · 
 · 

I recently dropped out of the M.Arch at Portland because I disliked it. Let me know if you want to hear about my time there. 

Apr 23, 15 7:18 pm  · 
 · 
ROB4

wow, where you off to next? gonna finish the degree elsewhere, what went wrong there. 

Apr 23, 15 7:49 pm  · 
 · 

Long story short, I'm an Aussie and like all naive young Australian's do, assumed American Education is far superior than our Australian system.
I went to the UofO @ PDX to try and develop a greater understanding off sustainable architecture - but was incredibly underwhelmed by the program's structure, some of the professors and the fact that I went to a 'Urban Architecture/Sustainability school'  which did not require consideration of these elements in our fairly rudimentary studio work. Seemed slightly obsolete.

Ultimately cut my losses - dropped out, traveled around for 3 months, did an architecture Grand Tour through NY, Chicago, Seattle, Boston etc.
I've now moved back to Australia to complete a far more competent degree at RMIT and am now a lot richer, and a lot happier with the degree. 

Not saying it's a bad school - I just personally didn't like it. 

Apr 24, 15 7:55 pm  · 
 · 

Everyone assumes that but in reality, it isn't. Everyone assumes U.S. is the land of opportunity because of how movies presents that false information. In reality, it isn't so grand.

I think foreigners should not assume that U.S. education is better.

They should take a more realistic perspective and read past the bull shit.

Apr 24, 15 9:15 pm  · 
 · 

Agreed - especially considering hindsight is 20/20. 

Overall was a wonderful experience, and although I'm not any closer to completing my master's, I'm definitely more experienced. 

Apr 28, 15 2:25 am  · 
 · 
er8y_j

Hi, everyone... I've recently been accepted to UO Portland. I applied to the program because of their focus on building performance... does the Eugene campus focus on this more? (I've seen some courses in the Portland campus that makes it seem that it is offered in both campus). I guess I was wondering how technical the program gets? What kind of resources is available in the fabrication facility? What are the class sizes for M. Arch? Does anyone have an insight on how much financial aid they give to out of state students? I got my acceptance email on Feb 24, was wondering if they follow it with a financial package. 

Thanks for sharing.

Feb 27, 16 5:55 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: