Archinect
anchor

M Arch from UO or UIUC?

archi_passion

Hi,

I have a B Arch from India, graduated in 2009. I am deciding between the M Arch programs at the University of Oregon and University of Illinois at Urbana champaign. These are my top two choices mainly because they have programs with a focus on sustainable design, which is my field of interest. I have not been offered scholarships in either of them at present.

I'm looking for information from recent graduates or current students from either of these two universities on the design studios, real-life project exposure during the program, internship opportunities and job prospects after graduation. Any information regarding this will be very useful to help me make an informed decision. 

Thanks!

Mar 27, 15 1:42 pm
SaloniChawla

Hey....I am from also from India. I graduated in 2014. I had applied to UIUC and got the acceptance but no financial aid as of now. I would like to receive the answers as well of the questions you posed above. N do let me know whichever u choose among the two. Apart from the aid from the university, are you looking for scholarships or anything from any external independent foundation?  

Mar 28, 15 2:23 am  · 
 · 
OM..

The design studios at UIUC are in my experience generous. As Master's students you'll be working in the "new" architecture building which is nice, but overheats sometimes. The campus is also pleasant but very much a "college town."

The professional network is very widespread and tends to funnel you to larger, more corporate firms, or service oriented firms. Many of the master's students also did their undergrad there, so it's perhaps a less diverse environment than other graduate programs.

The course work is technically inclined and on the practical side (strong emphasis on details, tectonics, phenomenology), and in recent years they've expanded their wood shop with more digi-fab equipment. You'll definitely get all the sustainability experience you want here (in studio, electives, and Solar Decathlon)- although it's not as much a part of their "brand" as UO. there are also a lot of great structures faculty there, and its possible to do an engineering track that focuses on this.

After graduation I would expect your portfolio to be filled with many juicy and well developed projects. It's up to you to imbue them with thoughtfulness and aesthetics that best fit your sensibilities.

There are awards given (Earl Prize) to the best student work and also merit based scholarship if you succeed in the program. Occasionally competitive scholarships and grants are announced through the AIA or other third parties.

Mar 29, 15 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
Driko
I hear more about the UO program and they are ranked number 1 in sustainable design in the nation and also 5th best in the west according to the design intelligence 2015 ranking. Where UIUC doesn't rank at all. But with what OM said about the school and if you are interested in structural engineering your time would be split with the college of architexture and the college of engineering. This could be a great networking experience since UIUC is ranked no. 1 in civil engineering. Also the solar decathlon is a great thing to take part of at UIUC
Mar 29, 15 2:59 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: