Archinect
anchor

I have some questions about architecture schools in general

klausious

Hello everyone,

My name is Dat. I just graduated with a BFA in Dance, and I am looking to go back to school for architecture because I can't find job in the dance field. I know that architecture has always been something I am interested in, but I don't have much knowledge about the field, and I am just starting to do some research to further my understanding of architecture as well as the education I want to obtain. However, there are some informations that I can't find on the Internet, and I have yet to make any architect friends so I hope you guy can help me out.

Here are a few questions (I hope they are not too many!)

1. What is the difference between a B.Arch and a M.Arch. I found some info say that B.Arch prepare you more since you spend more time in the studio than M.Arch which focus on more ideas/theories. I want to know what your take on it.

2. Also, what is the difference between M.Arch and Master of Art in Architecture Studies (or Architectural History) and Master of Science in Architecture? What skill set that I need for each of them? What is school curriculum like for each of them, and what is the career choices for each of them?

3. I have a faint idea of the difference between architecture and interior design. However, I have yet to be exposed to neither of these, and I just want to know what does it feel like to be an architect or an interior designer? This question happened because I still need to figure out what I truly want to do, instead of picking a random one and hope that i will end up liking it.

Those are a few questions so far. Thank you ahead for any helpful info!

Mar 27, 15 1:43 pm
no_form
Go to ncarb.org and click on studying architecture. It will answer your questions. Good luck.
Mar 27, 15 3:36 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Yeah, your understanding is too vague to really give an exact answer. Look into it more.

I would say that you'll probably want to do a Masters of Architecture though. It's really the fundamental degree for someone with a degree in something else but who wants to do architecture.

Mar 27, 15 7:40 pm  · 
 · 
Driko
1) B.Arch is a 5 year program and a M.Arch is a 3 year program. Both you can gain your lisence. One difference is that you can be a professor with a M.Arch where you can't with a B.arch.

2) the MA and MS are generally 1 year that is reaserch. These degrees are not accredited so you will not be able to gain a license.

3) I can't really speak for this one but I hear you can do interior arch with an arch degree.
Mar 27, 15 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
Lian Chikako Chang

Agree with everyone above.

1. Since you already have an undergrad degree, I say go for the M.Arch. It's a master's level degree. It has just as much studio focus as a B.Arch, with the added bonus of classmates that have more education under their belt, like you. There may well be also more of a focus on ideas and theories, in part because everyone is coming in at a graduate level and therefore a bit more intellectually mature.

2. An accredited B.Arch or M.Arch is a degree that prepares you to get a license and become a professional architect one day. Other degrees with 'architecture' in the name have a focus on architecture, which may vary from an art studio-based focus, to a building technology focus, to history and theory, etc. So it depends on what you want to focus on, and whether you want to become an professional architect.

3. You might benefit from an open enrollment summer program in architecture or interior design. (List of architecture summer programs here: http://www.acsa-arch.org/about/special-programs/summer-programs) Or you could try to find an internship (job) in an architecture or interiors firm. Architecture includes the entire building, and may or may not specialize in interiors (depending on where you study or work). Interiors is all about...interiors. So there's more focus on the details of interior finish materials, furniture, textiles, lighting. 

Mar 31, 15 10:40 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: