Archinect
anchor

Transfer M.Arch or no?

purplepenguin

I'm finishing my first year of my M.Arch 1 at a school in the south, but I applied to Parsons and Pratt this fall and was accepted at both. I'm currently waiting on them to tell me what credits will transfer, but they both told me advanced standing is rare (meaning I would probably have to be there for three years anyway even if some credits transfer). If this is the case, it means it would take me five months (one semester) longer than when I would graduate from my current program (my program is longer than both of theirs by a semester and a half). Like most archies, I love NY and it would be my dream to study there. But of course, cost. Both schools have offered me about 20k in scholarship a year and work study but I know this only puts a small dent in the cost overall. I have no scholarship at my current institution, so even though it's in state it's still costing me quite a bit. 

It seems like a strange consideration but there's several things I'm trying to weigh: 

I haven't been super happy in my current program. I'm prob in the top 5% of my class and haven't felt challenged or that my peers are as driven as me. 

I would like to work in NYC after graduation and I'm sure I would have many more opportunities to network and get connected with the local firms if I was studying in NY.

I'm also sure finding summer internships there would be easier. 

I'm not too fond of my current city. It's spread out and has poor public transportation, which bothers me some. Not a huge deal, but I do draw a lot of inspiration from my environment. 

I like the idea of teaching eventually, and thought maybe the Pratt name could possibly resonate better in the world of academia than my current school. 

Pratt is probably a better architecture school, marginally, than mine, which I know doesn't mean much when it comes to jobs and portfolio and stuff, but still something I've thought about. 

So

Am I crazy for considering the transfer? I haven't been able to talk to fellow architecture students because I don't want them to know I've thought about leaving. 

Mar 26, 15 12:00 am
FYC87

Actually I just got into UBC for the coming year with AP. But wanna transfer as well to Yale, GSD or Cornell. But.....thats cus I've worked for a while and saved up some money. Plus I have a sponsor for my masters. So ultimately it depends on ur financial situation, and if u dun mind the additional time spent in school. Cus not only u but many considered this option. In this case though, it is very important to finish all your classes with top marks, thus easier for the credits to be considered as transferable.

Mar 26, 15 11:35 am  · 
 · 
FYC87

Also u have to consider if those schools are worth the additional effort. For bachelors Pratt is good, but masters.....im not too sure. And I did my undergrad at Parsons...lol and it sucks...faculty are always changing around. Ive had 3 differnt dean within the 4 years I was there...and one year my grade didnt even have studio desks...but I could be a lil biased

Mar 26, 15 11:39 am  · 
 · 
Ose Etomi

@FYC87 I know this is a little of topic but can you tell us a bit more about Parsons? I got accepted there and am really considering their offer. I know it's not really known for Architecture but it is quite a famous design school which I hope will work in my favour and I thought that studying in New York City would be amazing.  What course did you do there and why didn't you like the faculty? What are the facilities like and even tho you had an unfavorable time there do you feel like the degree was worth it? Did going to Parsons help you secure a job in New York, and how do employers treat you when they know thats where you went?

Mar 26, 15 1:51 pm  · 
 · 
FYC87

Yeah its a very good design school, and I originally went there for my undergrad in product design, but was convinced to switch into architecture. And from my time working in NY, i found in the architectural field, the design sense of Parsons students definitely stood out in the crowd. And yes if your even decent at architecture/design, you will be able to secure a job since connection that you will be able to build at this school. There are a lot of cross over profs between Columbia, Pratt with Parsons, and you might be able to take courses at other schools in NYC if you try to work it out with the administration.

Facilities....well its adequate. Metalshop upstairs, with a small woodshop, 2 laser cutters. And since Sandy, the product design shop will move into the architectural building, if not already there. Art supply store just downstairs. Food and printing shops across the street. With 24hr studio implemented now, you dont even have to leave the block! I heard they are also having a huge 3D printing lab as well. Oh plus a new building by SOM, i never had the chance to use that....

Honestly I think my degree was worth it, I enjoyed my time there, although there were many bumps along the road. But the experience is really how you make it, and the dynamic flow of the city can really influence that. The student body really gives a different vibe with every year, some good some bad. i took some courses with grad students there before, and some of them are friking brilliant, some...not so much.  And every year you have new students and staff advocating for change, so it is improving. it was too bad though cuz my bachelors was a BFA in arch design, so it could not get me into most architecture firms since they are all looking for a B Arch or M Arch, and that is partially why I am returning to school this year. Employers actually look at me cuz of my age....they think im too young still even with the experience i have....sometimes they dont believe it...== Cus with a tad bit of luck I was always able to secure a pretty high position within smaller design studios, but hell, "you not even 30? nah ah, no way, u lie!"

NYC is amazing, and I kno i might be contradicting what I say here a bit. But with Parsons, it is a love and hate relationship. lol the current leadership of the program however, is questionable.

Mar 26, 15 2:25 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: