Archinect
anchor

Penn V. Usc M.arch Decision 2015

Ryan92

Wanted to post a thread regarding my decision between the M.Arch program at University of Southern California and University Pennsylvania. Both programs are three years and was offered some scholarship money. (Both schools end up being roughly the same amount of tuition per school year after scholarship.) I could use any feedback from any category (location, financial, methodology, marketability, ranking) as I'm still trying to decide on which program to ultimately choose. I would greatly appreciate if the feedback posted is unbiased and based on personal experience or factual information. 

Thanks!

Mar 25, 15 4:57 pm
natematt

Don't have that much familiarity with either program, but from that perspective I know USC is better regarded for it's undergrad program and Penn is better regarded for it's graduate program.

SoCal vs. Northeast is a pretty big difference. Where do you want to work?

Mar 25, 15 5:13 pm  · 
 · 
verticalgaze

USC is a new program. Penn is not.

USC should be fine in SoCal for work, strong alumni and network. Penn should offer the same and likely more acclaim if you venture out of the area.

Mar 25, 15 5:35 pm  · 
 · 
Ryan92

Thanks for the feedback!

Although I'm from Philadelphia, I think I'd like to try and expand my network towards Southern California after graduation. If I decide to stay in Philadelphia, I was thinking of making an effort to intern in SoCal during the summers since I have some family in that area.

Does it make more sense to attend USC and build a strong network in SoCal during my tenure? Or further build a solid network in Philadelphia and then try to venture out? 

Mar 26, 15 1:04 am  · 
 · 
verticalgaze

Look at the programs and where you want to study the next three years. Realistically, Penn has enough prestige and probably strong enough of a network to get your name scattered across firms in SoCal if they hear something through the grapevines. 

USC is more geographically bound although it's not bad outside per say but I am sure the strength doesn't lie much beyond SoCal.

Mar 26, 15 1:39 am  · 
 · 
Ryan92

Thanks again for the feedback, verticalgaze. I think I would prefer to study in Los Angeles, but it may make more sense to go to Penn. From what I've researched and from what you have mentioned, Penn seems to have a stronger network and more prestige in the case that I decide to venture out after graduation.

Mar 27, 15 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: