Archinect
anchor

Morphosis unveils plans for "Minimalist" skyscraper next to Zumthor's Therme Vals

-------

Okay.

Mar 25, 15 1:52 pm
verticalgaze

Okay.

Mar 25, 15 1:59 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

mmm, okay, but...

Mar 25, 15 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
-------

I'm just curious to see what people here think of it.

Mar 25, 15 2:05 pm  · 
 · 
toosaturated

It's perfect

Mar 25, 15 2:15 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

needs a cornice

Mar 25, 15 2:18 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

i think thom mayne should be thrown in a north korean prison camp for this. 

Mar 25, 15 3:09 pm  · 
 · 
flatroof

Needs two smaller towers on both sides to really emphasize the "Fuck You" towards nature.

Mar 25, 15 3:19 pm  · 
 · 
BulgarBlogger

ok... this is the perfect example...

How many of you saying all this shit about it (including me) would walk away from this project hoping that you will somehow be able to convince your client over the course of the design process to abandon the concept of a skyscraper in this context?

It's kind of like asking- how many of you would commit suicide if you knew you would be captured by ISIS and there was a strong possibility that not doing so would result in your decapitation or burning alive... 

Bottom line: you hope for the best... Thom Mayne would never turn a client away if it meant he could make a buck from it... any sensible architect who wants to make money wouldn't turn away a project like this... I think Thom Mayne just couldn't convince his client that doing anything but would be the better solution.

Mar 25, 15 4:38 pm  · 
 · 
-------

You make an interesting point. Because of Thom Mayne’s acclaim, he probably could decline being involved in this project because he could be fairly certain another one would come along. Maybe he continued (continues?) to be involved because he knows there’s no way this will be approved, meaning that it isn’t necessary for him to leave the project and alienate a potential client.

I would like to think that I would decline the commission. If I knew my second statement would play out as I stated, that would be my course of action.

The Folk Art mess is another example of this situation.

Mar 25, 15 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

I.M. Pei

Mar 25, 15 4:50 pm  · 
 · 

I picture the starchitect club like one of those movies about Greek gods on Olympus sabotaging each other as they compete for Zeus' position as ruler of all.

Mar 25, 15 6:19 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I don't know anything about the business plan here, but just assuming the client couldn't get land to develop a horizontal layout, and they want to maximize the rent/sf; I believe the concept is debatable as is, and the developer intentionally went nuts with this proposal, so a smaller, scaled back version could be approved; then the smaller, scaled back version will be just 100 m high and not so dramatic, but also less interesting and more like anything else anywhere, which will set a really bad precedent for the valley.

Mar 25, 15 6:48 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

The developers better not meet up with these guys or the whole valley will be filled up with skyscrapers.......https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=veNf-bz99cI

Mar 25, 15 6:53 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

looks cool to me.

Mar 25, 15 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

8 cranes on that Chinese highrise.

Mar 25, 15 7:49 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

Wasn't this proposed somewhere else once in a valley somewhere Alps? Or was I dreaming, literally. eVolo probably has 50 entries over the years that are this. I will only approve if there is a zip line from one mountain peak to top of skyscraper.

Mar 25, 15 8:39 pm  · 
 · 

how do you protect the base from avalanche?

this might be better than a sea sprawling plastic chalet or other mcmasion types

keeps the community at a walkable scale

Mar 25, 15 9:38 pm  · 
 · 
justavisual

panopticon much?

hotel = watchtower 

town = inmate cells

Mar 26, 15 3:37 am  · 
 · 
SpatialSojourner

I didn't realize that it was a competition... I stumbled across the entry by Jensen & Skodvin.

Apr 10, 15 8:10 am  · 
 · 
archanonymous

I like it.

Apr 10, 15 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

morphosis wins...that second firm is a junky hack job.

Apr 10, 15 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
-------

Steven Holl also submitted an entry in the private competition. I wouldn't mind seeing it.

Apr 10, 15 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

that building is gonna kill lots of birds

Apr 10, 15 10:12 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

steven holls is gonna be even uglier than the one above.  100% guarantee. 

Apr 10, 15 11:45 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

just shows you the lack of influence the architect really has...developer decides to give a big "middle finger to nature" architect decides on color of nail polish  

Apr 11, 15 3:07 am  · 
 · 
sameolddoctor

What Thom Mayne is trying to tell here is "Hang on while I give a fuck"

Apr 11, 15 5:06 pm  · 
 · 
archanonymous

chigurh... probably ugly as hell on the exterior with heavenly interior spaces.

Sometimes a giant, mirrored phallus is the correct solution to a design problem. Never thought i would type such a thing, but there you go. 

Apr 12, 15 5:54 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: