Archinect
anchor

WashU vs. VT vs. Oregon vs. Debt

howdidigethere

Three schools I am considering (M.Arch. I) along with the cost of attendance, aid included.

WashU (120K): Very balanced approach to design. Career oriented. Great study abroad program. Expensive.

VT (50K): Bauhaus but curriculum covers technical really well. A lot of hand drawing, seems like they encourage learning the software on your own, which is OK to me. Switzerland/DC. Cheap(er).

Oregon(80K): Like their sustainable program and the research they do. Community oriented design. Laid back atmosphere. In the middle.

I'd like to end up in Chicago or PNW someday, but might start elsewhere. Possible to get these costs down a little, but wanted to keep it on the higher side. What say you?

Mar 25, 15 12:18 am

I'll recommend that you look at GTF work if you can to keep your debt and finding work ASAP to keep yourself busy.

Oregon would be your cheapest option in getting into the PNW based on your figures assuming you calculated cost of attendance. I would probably add 30% to your figures (all three) considering tuition increase over the 3 years and a little more margin for cost of living then the spartan b.s. figures the colleges estimates. Don't be surprised it could be 40% more than your figures above but this would be for all three figures.

However, you may reduce your accrued debt by getting scholarships, doing GTF work or working a job.

WashU, I'm assuming is a little higher due to being 4 years long. 

The program isn't too bad and some of the faculty are pretty good folks. If I decide to go back their for an M.Arch, who knows. The problem is Eugene area is terrible for business for me as a building designer due to a crowded market so I prefer a less crowded market business wise. 

Mar 25, 15 1:35 am  · 
 · 
natematt
Other people need to take note of how you asked. Cost and pros/cons included.

Tuition won't go up that much... But cost of living will be at least 10-15k a year. Likely another 2k per year for supplies and whatnot.

If this is all turning into debt that you have to work to pay off, then two of these opions are concerning, and the other will even be a strech.

Do you owe anything from undergrad?
Mar 25, 15 3:10 am  · 
 · 

Actually, the figures given fits into the cost of attendance which includes basic spartan cost of living. The $80K is minimal but doesn't quite account to the tuition and housing cost increases each year but close enough but also doesn't really account for a more standard food and expenditures of students. They assume the 5 days a week top ramen diet. Which sucks.

Having attended UO, I know the figures jive close for overall cost of attendance which includes minimal cost of living which a normal but modest cost of living would be about $5K a year more than the estimates that the college gives. 

I know the figures.

You got some other points which I agree with for consideration.

Believe me, tuition goes up 5-10% a year and has been for the past 15 years. I estimate actual typical modest cost of living exceeds the budget parameter they cover by $5K to $7.5K a year. Otherwise, it will be terrifyingly spartan so a part time job at the least will make it more bearable.

Mar 25, 15 4:40 am  · 
 · 
howdidigethere

I have no undergrad loans to worry about. VT offered a GTA and I would get a modest stipend each month. I have some savings that I can use on housing costs (which are like 350-400/month if I room with people). Tuition for the first year would be around 9K.

I know Oregon has the GTFs and I would try to get one for the last two years, but that is not guaranteed. They seem to have a lot of scholarships to apply to as well. I would certainly find something part-time until I could get a GTF.

WashU has TA's but are only paid hourly. I know that materials and stuff like study abroad add up, so exact amounts are hard to figure. I don't know how receptive schools are to negotiating aid, but it is something I might consider, though I assume state schools have no room to do so.

Mar 25, 15 7:57 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

100K for a M.arch?

...what a waste. Take the cheapest option and work a much part-time as you can.

Mar 25, 15 8:49 am  · 
 · 
Mr_Wiggin

^Word...

And FYI, there's more than one school in the PNW that will give you a great education in architecture if that's what you want, the draw of Oregon's program escapes me...

Mar 25, 15 10:07 am  · 
 · 
natematt

@richard

Both of my experiences were less than 5% per year.

Mar 25, 15 10:20 am  · 
 · 
howdidigethere

Thanks all for the input. Unless I can extract more money out of the other schools, I am probably attending Virginia Tech. I read they have a Chicago study program for their undergrads which means they probably have some connections out there. Liked all the schools I got into so I am looking forward to it.

Mar 25, 15 1:01 pm  · 
 · 

My experience being there within the last 5 years is between 5-10%. It might  be closer to 5% usually than 10% but that comes from attending the university from Fall 2011 to Spring 2014. I know how things have been over the past 15 years with colleges and universities in the PNW. Today, community colleges cost as much as universities 15 years ago keeping about 0.5 to 2/3 the price of universities in tuition. That's about where they are now. 

Mr. Wiggins, there are two NAAB accrediteed schools in Oregon and only a few others. The other PNW schools are worth looking into but they have to have an M.Arch 3+ year track based on what I am estimating by the OP would allude to.

Mar 25, 15 1:43 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: