Archinect
anchor

Undergrad in Interior Design or Architecture for Interior Architecture Masters??

CH921

I am about to start my Undergraduate degree at ASU. I plan on progressing to the Interior Architecture Masters program. Would an undergraduate degree in architecture or interior design be more beneficial for me? I want to work in the residential field. Thank you

Mar 24, 15 7:22 pm

Do you want to design buildings or interiors? Either works and you are not likely to need a license. You may even consider NCBDC certification but its an option. Depends on what you want to do.

Mar 24, 15 7:42 pm  · 
 · 

Look up the rules for building houses in the states you want to work, some require a licensed architect if the size is over 4000 sf or three stories, having a licence means in this situation you retain some control, but to do interior renovations on a modest scale it won't come into play on every project.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Mar 26, 15 5:06 pm  · 
 · 

yep, exactly. In some cases, you may also need to have a licensed architect or engineer prepare certain drawings by the building official due to something the building official deems of highly complex nature and feels comfortable that certain drawings and specifications prepared by a licensed architect or engineer.

That involves the building codes and local building official and ordinances or the locality of the project, not just the project's state licensing laws and that state's licensing board(s) rules.

Mar 26, 15 5:25 pm  · 
 · 
CH921

So it is going to depend on where I live after I graduate? I need to look up the state laws and see if I'm going to need a license to do what I want to do exactly?

Apr 9, 15 5:30 pm  · 
 · 

Yes. You should always do because occupational licensing are done at state level. There is very few instances ever that occupational licensing is done on the federal/national level under federal laws. 

Yes, you do need to check the state laws where you do practice and engage in business (ie. states where you client's projects are located... not necessarily where you live but where your projects are located.)

Where I live, it is prudent for me to look at not just Oregon laws but Washington state laws.

Yes, it DOES matter because each state has their own laws and rules regarding licensing.

In addition, even the local county or municipal governments have their own additional layer of laws/rules.

Apr 9, 15 6:03 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: