Archinect
anchor

Construction Management and IDP Hours

thenewintern

I started working in a construction management firm right after graduating with a B.arch. I maxed out at the 930(or 950? I forgot) cap of supplemental work experience hours working at a construction firm. Now I work under a P.E. and there are some categories I can get hours in, but I don't have much opportunities to get hours under Design category. Design competition hours approved by a licensed architect mentor can get me 40 hours under each category. How can I get more hours in Design while working at the current firm? Thanks  

Mar 24, 15 8:20 am
BulgarBlogger

just a question- what state are you working in and what type of entity is the company registered as - PC, LLC, LLP etc.?

Mar 24, 15 9:23 am  · 
 · 

eventually you will have to work for an Architect to finish off the IDP, but don't get down on your self, the hours you have earned are likely the most difficult to get while working for an architect.

So take a look at the next year and see where you need to go to finish

Over and OUT

Peter N

Mar 24, 15 9:24 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Learning how to build a building considered "supplemental”, blows my mind (still).

Mar 24, 15 10:30 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

fyi - you may be able to take the exams prior to finishing idp

Mar 24, 15 1:58 pm  · 
 · 
thenewintern

NY, took my first ARE last weekend. Called NCARB to confirm that the "pass" result of the exam never expires, as long as you pass all the exams in the 5 year period. once i pass all the exams, i never have to take ARE again. So thats the game plan right now, work on AREs and eventually end up in a design building firm. 

Its a PC

Mar 24, 15 2:27 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: