Archinect
anchor

Interior Design major for an Interior Architecture job?

interiordesignit

Hey everyone! This is my first time posting by the way...I am new!

I am currently a sophomore at my local community college in northern VA. I really would like to pursue a career in interior architecture. However, how difficult or complex would it be to obtain an interior design degree but work my way into interior architecture? Thoughts? Thanks y'all! (I know both a very similar)

Mar 21, 15 6:38 pm
interiordesignit

Any help would be great!! thanks

Mar 21, 15 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

Well, it depends on where you want to end up practicing. Currently, in Oregon, it really doesn't matter but I think if you are seeking to do interior in commercial projects that are exempt from architect licensure, you'll want to seek NCIDQ accredited interior architecture degree but sometimes they might be labeled interior design. In Oregon, you would be titled professionally as interior designers not interior architects because there is no such license at least at this time. In either cases, such degrees may just very well be the same and the education of interior architects and interior design is customarily the same but you may specialize in interiors for building occupancy / space use.

As a building designer, I am also technically an interior designer in what I do. However, it is customarily with exempt buildings but my role can surely extend to non-exempt buildings where the project still is an exempt project. In fact, I do building design, interior design (as interior oriented renovation or restoration projects are in some cases  interior design projects) as well as landscape design (not landscape architecture as there is a license for landscape architecture in Oregon but when involved with exempted buildings but that's another story.

When it comes to you, it kind of comes down to what do you want to do, what is the focus of the curriculum and whether it qualified for licensure if licensure is required where you plan to practice and what you want to do. Of course, you don't always know where you want to practice and where life will lead you. Do you want to be your own practice? Do you want to be employed in an architecture/interior design firm, etc. The list goes on.

I don't know which programs you are comparing to provide any input on that.

Mar 22, 15 3:00 am  · 
 · 
interiordesignit

thank you very much!!!!

Well I know for a fact I want to do a job more pertaining to interior architecture. Plus, I want to work for Gensler, or under a big-well known firm...sorry does that help?

Mar 22, 15 10:27 am  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

no-such thing as interior architect, it's just interior design re-branded.

Mar 22, 15 11:44 am  · 
 · 
interiordesignit

soo..their the same thing? just different names used interchangeably?

Mar 22, 15 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^yes

Mar 22, 15 3:24 pm  · 
 · 

What I do know in Oregon is that the only difference in interior design and interior architecture is just a degree title and job position titles by companies that don't aren't quite jiving their job position titles with the statutes of law. Here, there is no statutory definition or framework that delineates. It is more academic semantics.

There are states that do have licensed interior design (I'm not sure if any today are using the title interior architect for the licensed title), but these are often more a title law than a practice law and the difference between licensed and unlicensed interior designers maybe that unlicensed interior designers scopes of practice is limited. Currently, in Oregon, there is no such thing as licensed interior designers just that some are certified by NCIDQ which is basically a private certification much like NCBDC. In my opinion, the licensing efforts are mostly people trying to use statutes to reduce competition so they can carve out a market for themselves.

When it comes to degrees, it really doesn't matter if the title is interior design or interior architecture. You would probably want to look at whether or not the degree is accredited by NCIDQ for flexibility to get licensed as an interior designer. 

For some firms, you need to have such a degree which is typically 5 years long.

Mar 22, 15 9:55 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

no one cares about Oregon.

Mar 22, 15 10:06 pm  · 
 · 
ROB4

Interior decorators 

Mar 22, 15 10:45 pm  · 
 · 

ArchNyen,

No one knows where the OP is going to ultimately practice or what schools he is looking at or where life would lead him. He might currently be in Virginia but as for Virginia, it is just a title law only requiring interior design license when one wants to be identified as a "certified interior designer". Basically, FIDER accredited degree or equivalent. Basically NCIDQ certification standards and approved education that is recognized by IDC, IIDA, ASID, etc.

But the bottom line is licensure or even NCIDQ certification isn't always required to practice and often it isn't required to practice interior design... often only when you are representing yourself as a "certified interior designer" (CID).

License or not, interior design differs from interior decorating. A license does not make the difference between an interior designer and an interior decorator. It is the scope of work involved.

Although both work on interiors, and there is overlap but the scope of interior design is more expansive than the role of interior decorator. It isn't just picking paint colors, wall paper, furniture, etc. even though interior decoration maybe within the scope of interior designer's scope of work... the role involves spatial-function planning, space-planning, and more. It is not just placement of furniture but how it creates and defines interior space. A common scope of my building design work is basically an interior design work when we are talking about interior remodel work. Architects do this, too!

ROB4

Virginia isn't all that different than Oregon and Gensler is all over the place and they may have projects in Oregon and people maybe assigned tasks all over the place. It's a corporation, right. Corporate life, jet setting, going all over the place where the projects may lead you. Life may lead the op all over the place if he/she is employed at a firm such as Gensler or others. 

Mar 23, 15 12:07 am  · 
 · 

I wouldn't get one's hope up on initial employment at big name firms, though. The reality check!

However, professional life may lead people all over the place.

Mar 23, 15 12:08 am  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

interiordesignit:

I'm a registered interior designer and a licensed architect. I don't agree with the previous poster that initial employment with big name firms is unlikely.  A new interior design grad with a good portfolio often has a better chance of getting a foot in the door of a well-known firm than more seasoned professionals, both because there are more entry level jobs available in those firms than upper level positions, and because the firms prefer to bring people into their culture early and raise a select few through their ranks, rather than bring outsiders into senior roles. 

There are a few schools that have an "interior architecture" major - this is usually a mix of the core courses and studios that one would usually find in a pre-professional architecture degree program and an interior design major.  People who graduate from interior architecture majors sometimes go directly into interior design roles, and sometimes go on to get a master in architecture, and sometimes end up in entirely different fields.  There's really no reason that grads of Interior Design programs can't pursue any of those options too though.

I know a number of people in various firms who do use the title "Interiors Architect", and that was my title in one job awhile back.  But everyone I've known who has had that title has been a licensed architect with an interiors focus.  If you don't pursue an architecture degree and license, your title is generally going to be Interior Designer if your focus is interiors - regardless of whether your particular role leans more toward selecting fabrics and finishes or more toward space planning and interior architectural detailing.  

An NCIDQ certificate is sometimes "preferred" by employers, but rarely absolutely required.  Some of the states that license or register interior designers require NCIDQ for that, but others have alternate routes.  The two most recognized professional organizations for interior designers, IIDA and ASID, both required NCIDQ for professional interior designer membership.  Neither of these professional memberships is essential, and not typically a requirement for employment, though they have some recognition from the general public.  Licensing or registration of interior designers also isn't always essential to employers.

Try to get internships or part-time or summer work with interior designers while you're still in school.  Focus on developing a strong portfolio, preferably with a mix of student work and professional work done during internships and student jobs.  Be sure to accurately credit others involved in those projects, and identify your role in them.  Don't worry too much about the title of your interiors major, or even in what your title is in entry-level jobs. Don't narrow your focus too much at first. It may take some years and more than one job change, but your direction will become clearer and you'll develop a role for yourself in the aspects of interior design/interior architecture that most interest you.

Mar 23, 15 10:25 pm  · 
 · 
SpontaneousCombustion

Also: contrary to what another poster has stated, NCIDQ does not accredit schools or their interior design programs.  It also is not  and never has been a requirement for earning the NCIDQ certficate that  one's interior design education be from a CIDA-accredited program (CIDA is the current incarnation of the organization that used to be known as FIDER.)  And while there may be a 5-year interior design major in some school somewhere, that is by no means required or "typical" for pursuit of an NCIDQ certificate. In fact a bachelor's degree isn't even required for NCIDQ eligibility - there are multiple routes to the certificate, one of which requires only an associate degree and 4 years of experience.

Mar 23, 15 10:38 pm  · 
 · 

I wasn't saying it is impossible to get a job at Gensler but don't put too much attention on getting a job at the few big name firms and ignore jobs that maybe readibly available. Sure, apply but don't expect to get that job at the elite firm especially when it is important to get job experience once you have your education. 

Reality is that people don't always get to start off in their dream companies so it is advice to not get too hopeful that one ignores the less well known companies and job opportunities there especially when you need to pay the bills. 

It is possible to get employed by big well known corporate firms but it is highly competitive and there are so many competing for each portfolio that it is hard to really be that amazing because even 10 to 20+ year veterans are applying for even the entry level intern jobs just to get work after the recession.

I just want to be clear that it will take more than just a nice portfolio to get a job.

Mar 24, 15 1:06 am  · 
 · 

Yes, Spontaneous, it is FIDER or CIDA as it is known now but yes NCIDQ accredited might be technically wrong but NCIDQ accepted or approved education being what it is as it will be what NCIDQ is willing to accept that ultimately matters. for certification and just about every state that has a licensure of interior designer typically requires NCIDQ certification to pass.

Ok, there is multiple paths.

Mar 24, 15 1:24 am  · 
 · 
interiordesignit

Thank you all again! I my plan is to go to Woodbury University for interior architecture...and see where the road takes me. :) this is not my first choice school, however, It still seems to like  a good fit for me ALL things considered.

Mar 24, 15 11:10 am  · 
 · 
x-jla

nothing symbolizes this fucking rip off economy better than "licensed interior design"  

Mar 24, 15 11:56 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

could be worse jla.  there could be licensed building designers.

cosmetology is a regulated profession....

Mar 24, 15 12:08 pm  · 
 · 
ROB4

"Licensed interior decorators " 

Mar 24, 15 12:12 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

soon some dumb kid will get clonked in the head with a can of beans...his dumb mom will sue...and the dumb state will require a license to stock groceries....of course there will be a fee and membership dues...only twist...the toxic shit being stocked by the regulated professional certified stock boy will give you colon cancer because its pumped full of unregulated perservatives and unregulated genetically modified organisms.  AMERICA YEAH!

Mar 24, 15 12:21 pm  · 
 · 
curtkram

it can't be that bad jla.  at least there will be a national organization to make stock person reciprocity between states more streamlined.  for an annual fee of course.

Mar 24, 15 12:33 pm  · 
 · 

curtkram, 

There were in California and there is something of the sort in Nevada.

Mar 24, 15 12:34 pm  · 
 · 
Bloopox

Richard: NCIDQ doesn't approve, accept, certify, or otherwise evaluate degrees.  NCIDQ certification can be pursued with ANY interior design major (or architecture), from any school, regardless of CIDA status. NCIDQ does not evaluate curricula - they accept all interior design majors from all schools.

The only difference between eligibility for those with a degree from a CIDA member program and graduation from any other interior design program is that candidates who graduate from CIDA member interior design majors do not have to meet any particular threshold for number of credits earned in their major, while those who graduate from non-CIDA interior design programs have to show that they completed a minimum number of credits and courses in their interior design major.  NCIDQ eligibility is purely based on quantity, not content or quality of coursework.

NCIDQ is rather unnecessary anyway.  There are only 3 states that limit the practice of interior design - all the others just limit what you call yourself.  That said, I did have to become a "registered interior designer" in order to be eligible to respond to state government rfps for projects they classify as primarily interior design. But I obtained state registration without NCIDQ certification - which I'd recommend in the states that allow it.  NCIDQ requires two exams which cost +/- $1000, while going the alternate route only cost the fee to have a transcript sent and a <$100 fee to the state.

If one really wants to pursue NCIDQ, these are the eligibility requirements, direct from the source:

CIDA Degree (Route 1)

• Education: A bachelor’s or master’s degree from a CIDA-accredited interior design program. To qualify, the degree program must have been CIDA-accredited at the date of graduation or must have become CIDA-accredited within two years of graduation. A list of accredited programs is available from CIDA.
  • Experience: 3,520 hours of qualified interior design work experience. This can be completed in approximately two years if you work full-time. Up to half of the required hours (1,760 hours) may be earned while you are still in school. You must have completed at least 96 semester [144 quarter credits] of education before you can begin to count work experience toward this requirement. In addition, if you receive academic credit for work experience, you cannot count that work experience toward this requirement. In all cases, the final 1,760 hours of qualified work experience must be earned after the education program is completed.

Interior Design Degree – Non-CIDA (Route 2)

• Education: A bachelor’s degree (minimum) in an interior design program NOT accredited by CIDA that includes no less than 120 semester or 180 quarter credits, of which no less than 60 semester [90 quarter credits] are interior design coursework.
  • Experience: 3,520 hours of qualified interior design work experience. This can be completed in approximately two years if you work full-time. Up to half of the required hours (1,760 hours) may be earned while you are still in school. You must have completed at least 96 semester [144 quarter credits] of education before you can begin to count work experience toward this requirement. In addition, if you receive academic credit for work experience, you cannot count that work experience toward this requirement. In all cases, the final 1,760 hours of qualified work experience must be earned after the education program is completed.

Other Degree + Interior Design Degree (Route 3)

• Education: A bachelor’s degree (minimum) in any other major AND no less than 60 semester or 90 quarter credits of interior design coursework that culminates in a certificate, degree or diploma. This route is primarily intended for career changers with a bachelor’s degree in another field (English, nursing, psychology, etc.) who have returned to school for an interior design degree.
  • Experience: 3,520 hours of qualified interior design work experience. This can be completed in approximately two years if you work full-time. Up to half of the required hours (1,760 hours) may be earned while you are still in school. You must have completed at least 30 semester [45 quarter credits] of interior design education before you can begin to count work experience toward this requirement. In addition, if you receive academic credit for work experience, you cannot count that work experience toward this requirement. In all cases, the final 1,760 hours of qualified work experience must be earned after the education program is completed.

Associate’s Degree (60 Hours) in Interior Design (Route 4)

• Education: No less than 60 semester [90 quarter credits] of interior design coursework that culminates in a certificate, degree or diploma.
  • Experience: 5,280 hours of qualified interior design work experience. This can be completed in approximately three years if you work full-time. All work experience must be earned after the education program is completed.

Associate’s Degree (40 Hours) in Interior Design (Route 5)

• Education: No less than 40 semester [60 quarter credits] of interior design coursework that culminates in a certificate, degree or diploma.
  • Experience: 7,040 hours of qualified interior design work experience. This can be completed in approximately four years if you work full-time. All work experience must be earned after the education program is completed.

NAAB or CACB Degree

• Education: A bachelor’s or master’s degree from an NAAB- or CACB-accredited architecture program.

Experience: 5,280 hours of qualified interior design work experience. All work experience must be earned after the education program is completed.

Mar 25, 15 3:11 pm  · 
 · 

Thanks Bloopox, 

I haven't kept up on NCIDQ all that much because it is largely irrelevant to me. IIRC: They used to have fewer alternate paths. 

I find the arbitrary crap annoying like only work experience after you have reached like your final year in college so experience prior doesn't count? B.S. In my services in the building design field, I often have interior design oriented work which is because of the nature of the project involves remodel, renovation, restoration, etc. of existing buildings which is independent practice.

I started back over 10 years ago.

Mar 25, 15 3:28 pm  · 
 · 

I may go through the California system after NCBDC cert.

https://ccidc.org/how-to-become-certified.html

Path 3

Mar 25, 15 4:26 pm  · 
 · 

If we do something similar in Oregon, I like the CCIDC model because there is many ways to become competent in interior design and architects/building designers alike inherent by nature of their work and customary education that they would do interior design work as an integral part of our practice. 

Mar 25, 15 5:07 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: