Archinect
anchor

Taking a minor

Samantha_A

Hi I'm a B.Arch student. How useful is a minor in getting a job / internships in the future? Would employers be more interested in a minor as compared to what classes you take? I'm torn between taking up Japanese as a language and a minor as Japanese is not offered as a minor in my college. Thanks

Mar 20, 15 8:13 pm

I would consider learning about something you love and advancing your skills useful for your own personal development, and you never know when you can merge that with professional development or opportunities.  Many people far away from their academic years consider that sort of learning (for the love of learning) some of the best choices they ever made.  Good luck!

Mar 23, 15 9:43 am  · 
 · 

Japanese as a second language would not be as helpful for a career in architecture as Arabic, Hindi, Spanish, Chinese or Portuguese. The decades long recession in Japan has stagnated the market for architecture, that an a long deep bench of talented designers makes it very difficult for outsiders to penetrate the domestic Japanese market.

Over and OUT

Peter N

Mar 23, 15 10:32 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

Japanese has good language for design though. So as far as stretching the reach of your mind, it is good. But totally not necessary. 

I didn't get a minor in college but I have taken enough classes since then to have about 4-5 "minors". I teach and run a small business so it is good for me to have a wide repertoire, it allows me to connect with so many more ideas and people than I would be able to otherwise. In the recent past it was good to be high specializing, but I think we fractured out our thinking too much and need more broadly educated generalists and designers should be exactly that. Never stop learning. Oh, and as am employer, I hire you, the product of your education, not the education, does that make sense?  

Mar 23, 15 10:46 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: