Archinect
anchor

My husband's Art Assignment video.

I'm posting this here because I am proud of my husband Brian McCutcheon, and proud of our friend Sarah Green who is the creator of The Art Assignment, and I think they both deserve a huge audience.
Also, the last statement he makes in the video, that "...if it's great work, maybe it will change or enrich the life of someone who sees it." Isn't that what we all aspire for our architecture to do? 

Customize It! on The Art Assignment

Mar 19, 15 9:27 pm

Nice, congrats. I really enjoy his work. Great point of view and sense of humor.

I like his statement the purpose of art is not about functionality. I'll bet you two have some spirited discussions about architecture.

Mar 19, 15 11:38 pm  · 
 · 
chigurh

That is cool.  Pimp my forklift!  

Reminds me of ruben ortiz torres pimped out leaf blowers and lawn mowers...power tools.

Your husband has cool work, dude can work metal.. That sculpture of the horizontal painted bar on the s.s. base is slick.

Mar 19, 15 11:41 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Seems to be an interesting person... like.." Art is about ideas".... painted my dads stuff in the garage when I was a kid - really pissed him off:)

Mar 19, 15 11:52 pm  · 
 · 
go do it

It is always good to find a different way to see the day.

Mar 20, 15 12:50 am  · 
 · 
∑ π ∓ √ ∞

chigurh, i think that "bar" is a wood 2x4, but I could be wrong.

I've enjoyed Brian's work for years now. He's a constant reminder that my past is relevant to my work.

Mar 20, 15 12:54 am  · 
 · 

Thanks for the nice comments, everyone. Yes, chigurh, that 2x4 is wood under automotive paint. Title "Stud", another play on the masculine terms of construction.

Miles, the most spirited discussion, in other words the most vehement, long-lasting argument, we have ever had was over whether it was appropriate, from a materiality-based philosophy, to put a concrete counter top on a kitchen island with legs. I was angrily against ("The legs imply that the piece is movable! Concrete is entirely about immobility!"), he was angrily for ("A concrete slab at this size IS movable!").

Mostly, though, we let each other be in charge of the architecture or art decisions to be made.

Mar 20, 15 11:01 am  · 
 · 
postal

what a cool little program, hadn't seen that before.

somewhere Brad Pitt is failing this art assignment

Mar 20, 15 11:24 am  · 
 · 

LOL, postal.

Mar 20, 15 11:39 am  · 
 · 
Sarah Hamilton

Donna,

I showed my husband that video last night.  He says "Her husband seems like a cool guy to hang out with."

I think your "fight" is amazing.  What was decided in the end?  Did you simply go sans-island?

Mar 20, 15 11:58 am  · 
 · 

No, we went with Fireslate counters. In other words, I won. ;-)

Mar 20, 15 1:50 pm  · 
 · 

love the idea of that show. also that is an awesome shop your husband has...

Mar 20, 15 9:15 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Nice work!  

Mar 21, 15 2:23 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

are we supposed to perform the art assignment now?

Mar 21, 15 10:04 am  · 
 · 

Only if you want to, Olaf! The Art Assignment videos have been getting lots of interaction from people who don't know a lot about art and are learning about creative ways of looking at the world. I think it's a great educational mission to make art seem less intellectually elite and more understandable. We need a similar series for architecture, perhaps.

Mar 21, 15 11:23 am  · 
 · 
citizen

That's really great, Donna... very interesting work and approach... and he looks like a cool guy, too!

On a more existential plane, if you will... it's always inspiring to see people who do what they love to do for a living.  

Mar 21, 15 11:59 am  · 
 · 

Oh, citizen, I've been involved in so many conversations about that lately! It's true in our discipline and in so many others: you want to do a certain activity because you love doing it (building design, art-making, gardening, web development, writing...) but as you become more successful in it you find yourself doing it less and less, because you're busy managing the *business* of being able to do it!

SO many successful architects rarely get to design. I mean, I love being in the business of design at all, no matter what I'm doing. But for Brian he has so little time to actually make his own art with his own hands in the last few years, because he has 15 employees he has to manage who are making art for other people! The forklift was something he was able to do mainly on his own, the fun part of it at least. 

I do know one local architect who heads a multi-city firm but has managed to structure it so that he is able to spend 75% of his time designing. That's an admirable goal!

Mar 21, 15 12:38 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

I want to be that guy!

Mar 21, 15 2:17 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: