Archinect
anchor

Living in USC

xsfxcx

Hi all , 

I am going to USC for the coming semester for MArch I AP . 

As an international student, I am not quite familiar with finding housing there. 

Is there any websites you guys can suggest , or I should just apply for hostels on campus? 

Which one would be cheaper?

And did any international students try to transport modeling material from your home country to US ? Is there any thing to pay attention on ? 

Thz a lot

Mar 19, 15 5:47 am
CrazyHouseCat

I moved to USC from east coast US.  When I called around for apartment rentals, a woman asked me what is the monthly rent range I’m considering.  Upon hearing my number, she laughed out load for a long time.  I ended up finding what was considered a really good deal in a place few blocks west of campus, which was still half the size and 3x the rent of what I’m used to.  During my stay there, the adjacent houses had one stabbing, one shooting, few robberies and many thefts. 

I was fortunate enough to not have any real bad encounters beside two bikes stolen.  The school does drive students home if you leave studio late at night.   But still, depend on whether you have a black belt in something, the “cheapest housing possible” may not be a sensible choice.  Avoid properties south of campus or on the other side of the 110 freeway. 

I’ve heard success stories of several international students (different majors) getting connected and shared a place as roommates.  Maybe consider contacting the school to see if you can connect with other int. students?  Best of luck!

Mar 19, 15 1:55 pm  · 
 · 
xsfxcx

Hi CrazyHouseCat,

I was just wondering if there would be any websites for that ?

And I heard that the on campus hostels are quite expensive , is that true ?

Mar 20, 15 3:17 am  · 
 · 
no_form
Craigslist, west side rentals, rad pad, padmapper. Good luck.
Mar 20, 15 7:22 pm  · 
 · 
verticalgaze

If you want apartments that aren't related to the university, then classifieds as mentioned above. Probably too late to get graduate housing but might be worth a shot for a small application fee loss. There's always those expensive managed shared room options students near and around campus.

Since you're an international, consider arriving early and checking those listings out. Don't just sign up for anything that looks good online.

Mar 20, 15 8:19 pm  · 
 · 
mononoaware

Try to live north of campus. West, east, and south are all dangerous. Because there's The Row north of campus where all the Greek houses are, USC seems to put more security there. Also, all the major housing companies are overpriced, so try to look for landlords who operate privately.

Mar 21, 15 7:57 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: