Archinect
anchor

Need your voice (MARCH I )School Choice RISD vs Michigan

arquimann

Hey Arch-Guys,

I need you voice :-)

It is a nightmare for me, to choice one between them.... . Both are M ARCH I (first-professional) program.

I really like the design environment in RISD. While I am worrying about whether a artsy 

school is short for getting a job. I am not sure what Michigan teaches, looks digital?

My career goal is doing something  'touch-to-ground' design and having a position in design group (like HDR, HOK... ...).

Please help me ending the nightmare! Thank you all~~~

Mar 19, 15 9:56 am
DeTwan

We all have dreams...

What is "touch-to-ground"?

Mar 19, 15 10:01 am  · 
 · 
flatroof

The cheapest one.

Mar 19, 15 10:04 am  · 
 · 
citizen4nr

Hi,  

I can tell you that when I went to michigan it was transitioning into a digi fab / computation based design when Monica became dean.  However, the core studios were still taught by a diverse group of instructors and visiting lecturers ranging from straight forward Architecture w/ a capital A to the purely theoretical to robotics, and I believe it is still the case.  The thing about michigan is that it gives you the freedom to explore whatever you want, which is both its strength and weakness.  I found that while I was able to pursue my interests there, it didnt really provide a strong foundation to prepare to work in a traditional firm after graduating.  Also, the network wasnt that helpful in helping w/ job hunting outside a few cities (generally in michigan or Chicago).  Perhaps RISD's proximity to larger cities like boston and nyc may be more beneficial, but I dont know.

If cost is an issue, then I'll tell you right now that Michigan is expensive for out of state students.  very expensive.  If youre lucky you'll get a scholarship, or a TA position.

Anyway, good luck w/ your selection and studies.

Mar 22, 15 8:55 am  · 
 · 
natematt

My observation is that schools pushing really pragmatic approaches tend to produce boring designers, and ones with really impractical approaches tend to produce people who boarder on unhireable.  Michigan seems to be safely in a middle ground.

Like citizen said, it’s got a lot of digi fab/computation stuff, but that’s really not the focus, unless you want it to be.

Mar 22, 15 1:45 pm  · 
 · 
square

I'm at RISD now, and I can tell you that having an "artsy" degree does nothing to hurt your chances of getting a job; in fact it only helps because you brings something different to the table (your portfolio will actually have personality/creative thinking skills amongst a homogenous crowd of students applying for jobs). There is a very large network in Boston and NY of RISD grads, and people do not have trouble finding internships/work.The only way it might hurt your odds of getting a job in architecture is if you find you like another discipline even more, which happens often because of the cross-pollination between other departments. 

Speaking of a diverse education, the strength of RISD is being able to take course in other departments that are actually relevant to your discipline, i.e. furniture design, illustration, digital media, and not to mention any courses at Brown.

I would not trade being here for any other school.

Mar 22, 15 5:19 pm  · 
 · 
dtran125

I didn't come to Michigan for the digital fabrication, although that was an enticing draw to have the resources available. I came to the university for the resources an what the University is able to to offer in technology, analytic thinking, and the various research opportunities .  The program offers a wide range of classes from digital fabrication where the fablab here is one of the biggest at a University level with a wide range of talented instructors who have been published for a variety of research that employs students. As far as employment goes, the extent of networking at Michigan with their alums is pretty incredible.  I do admit the price is incredibly expensive, but it's all what you make of it and if you make the best of the problem while you're here, I would say that it's worth it. 

As far as being more in touch to an arts school, the architecture program shares the same building as the art program at UMICH and you have the opportunities to take classes with them and a chance to do interdisciplinary research in not only art, but with a variety of other programs. 

Mar 26, 15 10:12 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: