Archinect
anchor

Did any of you AIA lovers see this?

Volunteer

Why in God 's name would it take Georgia and Alabama ten to twenty years to recognize each other's architects?

Apr 10, 15 8:32 am  · 
 · 

Volunteer, it's 50 states, not just two. Some states have schedules like only reviewing practice law every year or two. Coordinating all of that at a national level is a huge process. The ARE 5.0 has been finalized but can't be implemented until late 2016 - a two year process at minimum to get everyone onboard.

Apr 10, 15 8:34 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

I am talking about starting with two similar states and building from there. It may well be that some states, such as the ones prone to earthquakes or severe weather extremes, would not be suitable for inclusion into a national system. That said, alliances of states in the different regions of the country seems very doable and practicable. If you try to do all the states at once you are doomed to failure.

Apr 10, 15 8:47 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]

Volunteer, you're right, I shouldn't have used "segregation" to make my point. However, I don't trust states, especially states that see their individual sovereignty as sacrosanct, to be able to coordinate with another state what and how to deliver a licensing exam, and provide staff - thereby expanding government - to administer that exam. I don't know what the differences are between AL and GA as it regards hurricanes, your anecdotal statement is not science or code, that's why I asked. Not only that but are there any interstate commerce issues? How would codes need to be coordinated, who would do the coordination, and what body, because the codes are approved by state legislatures, who, or what state would architects be responsible to?   

Back to "segregation", or "states rights", which is where my point was going, and not to your emotional, "get off my back you Yankee pig dog". States are prone to their stupid, asinine requirements for reciprocity, or comity, when it comes to licensing in other states. NCARB, while many are critical of them - myself included - and their function, they DO serve as a critical, and less onerous path to getting licensed in another state, and you expect two states, that cling to their individual identity to work that out? They'd have an easier time coming to agreement that Robert E. Lee day should be celebrated on MLK day.

As for "racism" in NYC, I don't doubt you've encountered more "individual" racism in a city of 8 million, hell, I've seen more racism where I live, however, racism of the individual sort, pales in comparison to state sanctioned, or institutionalized racism in southern states.

Apr 10, 15 9:19 am  · 
 · 
curtkram

there already is reciprocity between some states.  but each state has it's own licensing board, so each state needs licensing fees to pay for the staff and building and record keeping of that licensing board.  since each state has it's own licensing board, they need to keep separate records of who is licensed in their state, which means you need to fill out a form to get reciprocity in the next state.

are you proposing that georgia get rid of it's licensing board and let alabama run their licensing requirements, so you as an architect don't need to jump through that hoop?  would this be limited to architecture licenses, so the office of the state that governs technical professions in alabama would provide a set of policies to cover both their jurisdiction and georgia's jurisdiction?  so georgia simply cuts one of the licenses it governs out of its jurisdiction, but still needs to regulate other technical professions, or would georgia just hand over all credentialling to alabama?

that sounds like a serious pain the ass for everyone involved.  convincing the governor of georgia that the elected state legislature of alabama should be writing the legislation for their credentialing requirements doesn't sound like a realistic goal.

Apr 10, 15 9:50 am  · 
 · 
b3tadine[sutures]
Curt, exactly. Pointing out that something "should" be, without going through all the ramifications, is not helpful. Curt just hit on another issue that is rife with problems. My state does comity, not reciprocity....I'm for a national license before I dimbulbs in each state try to given what another state does. I mean you'll have some jack off decide we're the same as beauticians for Gosh darn sake.
Apr 10, 15 10:35 am  · 
 · 
Volunteer

The real costs would be a reduction in income for the NCARB. The public would benefit by having a wider selection of firms and by not having the expenses of the fees passed along to them. The firms would benefit by having a wider selection of clients. Safety of the public? Not an issue. Some government agencies are quite competent and managing two databases of architects is not really much of a stretch. To say that architects in Alabama-Georgia, Oregon-Washington, North Dakota-South Dakota, Wyoming-Montana, ect.,  could not work out an agreement between themselves and cut out the NCARB once and for all in those parings does not seem unreasonable, to me at least. If you are an architect in Montana ad offered a plum job in Wyoming  guess you could make a sacrificial offering to the NCARB if you wanted to. Or just pass on the job.

Apr 10, 15 11:42 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

I was around prior to NCARB, in their defense it was a huge hassle working state-to-state prior. With some exceptions it is national licensing, no chance of it changing.

Apr 10, 15 11:50 am  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

I'm guessing that when a firm is willing to look out of state for an architect, the job/fee is probably enough that a couple grand to NCARB doesn't mean much. No one's looking out of state for a bathroom renovation or a bakery

Apr 10, 15 12:56 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: