Archinect
anchor

new 120 day deadline is screwing A/E in Chicago

area_man

okay folks, after a cursory search turned up nothing, i thought i'd get a best practices thread going. the latest directive- geared towards getting revenue generating businesses open- will void all applications in progress after 120 days of inactivity. how do we work with or around this?

also (somewhat transparently) on the ZBA side, the hearing docket / schedule is booked solid into august with medical marijuana dispensaries among other things. they've even hired a new person to process special use applications and documentation to take up the backlog.

back to the DOB, its a bit silly to make a department look better by using software to reduce workload and backlog, but nobody asked me. one wiseguy even said this particular directive from the fifth floor of city hall will work in Chuy Garcia's favor for this spring's election cycle. one can read this as being about revenue, which is understandable. new york almost went bankrupt, detroit went bankrupt, and ferguson wouldn't be in the news if revenues were kept in check. property taxes will go up, but thats several topics removed from how i began.

Mar 18, 15 12:18 pm
Carrera

Area – as I read it this 120 day rule applies to permit application reviews where perhaps they send out a correction letter then the job sits on “the shelf” waiting for the architect to respond (is that correct?)….4 months is a long time and they said they grant extensions.

Mar 18, 15 3:24 pm  · 
 · 
area_man

I agree, four months sounds like a long time.... until you have a client. getting a zoning review for anything special is at least two months. The first is to get a denial, second for appeal and a third for it to get on record (say for a zoning change which has to go to full council for approval.) there's the hurdle of getting into buildings after a PM refuses to let something pass zoning. then there's special procedures like board of underground review which takes two months on its own. Most projects simply stop at zoning for a month after initial routing, not including landscaping, which may take its own month. For this reason, even self-cert. permits take a month.

The good news at least is that we can't afford to enforce the regulation we have.

Mar 18, 15 3:55 pm  · 
 · 

Behold the great and powerful corruption tax

Long live emperor Emanuel!

Mar 18, 15 5:39 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: