Archinect
anchor

Does anyone enjoy their job? If so what do you do and how did you get there?

StarchitectAlpha

I've worked at 4 different firms since college. A large retail firm, two small residential firms and a medium sized commercial firm. And so far everything I've seen inside of architecture has been incredibly boring. My conclusion is that architects are really just drafters for someone else's ideas. This conclusion has been drawn from looking at the middle aged employees not from expecting an amazing cool job right out of school, I'd be fine with paying my dues if the end goal looked somewhat interesting or financially rewarding. So I was wondering if anyone actually enjoys their job because with a quick search on this forum you can find countless people totally depressed about their career choice. If you do enjoy it what do you do and how did you get there? Do you work for a retailer, contractor, developer or even a consultant for say rain water design? If you do work in an architecture firm what do u do and more importantly how did you manage to escape the endless drafting? I've never been that into design I just thought construction was cool. I'd love to find something even if I'm trading CAD for excel that has more of an effect on coordination or implementation of a project. Oh another thing, interaction with human beings, every firm I've ever worked in has been dead silent all day long, literally my face feels numb at the end of the day. Even if it's people screaming at me, it would be cool to have a little interaction. I'm not friends with architects so when people on this site say architecture isn't that bad I completely discount it because recently instead letting my friends think I do cool architecture things I've been telling them what my day actually consists of and their reaction is complete abhorrence. Which lets me believe that all the moaning on this site isn't all grass is greener syndrome. Anyway would love to see if there are some people who found a rewarding niche somewhere in the construction industry.

Mar 17, 15 6:11 pm
Larchinect

Im a landscape architect. I love what I do. I work for myself. 

I still work obscene hours (probably 25% more on average than I did whilst employed), but I can come and go when I want (at least in theory). What I really love though is being in control of my own success or failure and there are lots of small wins/losses on a day to day basis. 

75% of our projects are straight boring, but they are OUR projects.

Being in business is exhilerating. The smallest projects feel massive when you're starting out on your own--over time we are getting better referrals and pushing our knowledge and experience further. 

I left the world of the employee about two-three years ago, first working from home a couple days a week, then a part timer, then a contract employee, freelancer, and now full-fledged consultant. I was bored tears with the typical day-to-day office environment. 

You might ask yourself what you're really good at--graphics, hand drawing, revit, code, research, writing, marketing, public speaking...You could look for ways to carve a niche for yourself in your current firm, become a thought leader of sorts or you could branch out and let your passion take you in another direction. 

Mar 17, 15 6:46 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

That is funny how you say that human interaction would be nice. That was one thing that was awful when I was still in architecture. Let me click away on the computer day in and day out for 8 years without really talking to a living thing.... it sucked and I quickly realized that I would never network beyond writing RFIs.

Quick, as in 8 years quick.

Mar 17, 15 6:52 pm  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

Larchinect, glad to hear the success story. Detwan what do you do now?

Mar 17, 15 7:02 pm  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

You know I think another thing to add here is that I refuse to relocate from San Diego and there isn't mich here besides tenant improvements and house flippers, definitely a cause of much of the boring work.

Mar 17, 15 7:14 pm  · 
 · 
DeTwan

I make art if you can believe it or not, DantonRezosDesigns.com.

I had a friend that was laid off in 2008 only to parlay his unemployment money into making art. He was the one that shed the light on making money off art. I apply to art festivals thur out the nation, and when I'm invited I pay a booth fee, and travel with a 10'X10' tent. I quit my arch job back in August of 2013 after going thur the same thing at every different firm I worked with. If there would have been a little more money in it I probably would have kept going, but I just couldn't live on peanut shells anymore, and I was at the end of my leash after my life sounding like a broken record player, or the definition of insanity.

This will be my second year doing it, and honestly I gotta hit'em outta the park this year or it may be my last. I think that I have built myself a pretty good hand, so I'm going all in and hoping that my hard work pays off. 

All in all I would not go back into architecture, I'd rather try to get a job at a fancy restaurant or something. The thought of ever having to go day in, and day out at an architecture office again makes me throw up a little every time I think of it.

Check my facebook page, I have been posting new stuff there, I think my landscapes are gonna take my income to the next level.

https://www.facebook.com/DantonRezosDesigns

Mar 17, 15 7:24 pm  · 
 · 
StarchitectAlpha

ha ha I feel that way every Sunday. Do you ever feel a bit like Mugatu taking crazy pills when talking to old peers about the profession? Lol

Mar 17, 15 7:53 pm  · 
 · 
DaveZ

The Answer to your question is no.  I worked at a firm for 2 years doing some cookie cutter bullshit projects, sitting on my ass from 9-7 on autocad like a monkey.  COPY PASTE TRIM, was my life.  Never did I, nor did anyone at the firm, ever use their brain.  I then talked to a family friend of mine who owns a very successful residential high end firm.  He told me all his employees we re simply glorified draftsmen implementing his design for pennies.  I really couldnt stand it.  The field of Architecture is shackled by standards, leaving little to know room for the Architect to do his job without being liable in court for one thing or another.  Architects have also abandoned way to much responsibility over the past century.  Their never used to be contractors or structural engineers, that was the job of the architect.  

I took a crazy different route and went back to med school lol, and I love it.  However, I think your in a good position, as you seem smart and ambitious.  If I were you, I would get a builders licenses  over the weekend while still working your job.  Create an LLC and make a website with ur portfolio on it.  Read as many books as you can on real estate development and custom home building.  Establish great relationships with various local tradesmen, and start building custom homes, and developing homes.  While its not the traditional "architecture: route (which is total crap in my opinion), you will be your own boss, make great money, and be challenged.  Good luck man, I hope you find what your looking for.

Mar 17, 15 8:07 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

Part of what I love about being self employed is going out and talking to people about what I do, knowing there is incentive to networking, fishing for work--there is both a strong personal drive to find more design work (problem finding) as well as the obvious financial incentive. On the flip side, I'm pretty introverted at heart so I'm content to crank away on project work too.

Our business is in a fairly rural, yet affluent area. I often wonder if we would be better suited to a larger city like San Diego. I should think there are plenty of opportunities in a city of that size.

I think it's too bad that lots of budding architects get relegated to some shadowy corner, either because they're really good at one thing (and get pigeon holed) or because they're just good enough to keep their job. 

Mar 17, 15 8:13 pm  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

human interaction - I've been moved within an office, had other employees moved away from, been asked to stop talking so damn much, etc...because the first fucking thing I do anywhere is talk to people. - Where you from? Like  Football or baseball? You drink?  If something doesn't make sense I go and ask anyone and everyone until it makes sense....I can be quite annoying but who gives a fuck when I usually out produced everyone in the office and make amazingly in line with office type decisions - that's because I talk talk talk..

which always makes me wonder, what do the silent clickers do all day?

Saying NO - when times were hard it was hard to say no so i took anything and did anything and often just drank lots of beer while drafting late into the night doing some mind numbing drafting, results were same at the rates I was giving them....  but if you want to get paid for what you do after years of experience - just say NO.  NO to mindless bullshit - quit, get another job.  Shop jobs constantly while employed so you have back-up.  NO to not being allowed to moonlight.  NO to working weekends.  NO to stupid clients and their hair brain ideas.   I've learned the architects who say NO and don't bend over backwards DO get paid the best and they DO what they want....this whole bend over take it to get business policy is a downward spiral to nowhere.  say NO to stupid schedules and timelines and let the clients yell and scream until they get the quality work you are willing to deliver....NO is a big UP.

(I consult, full time part project arch at AE firm,  have my own thing, do multiple work types all on a small enough level to still ENJOY drafting in CAD my own work...I do damn good financially according to the salary poll....mostly I do detailing with building in mind, something most don't want to touch or have no clue so when you get good people just drop work on you, sometimes I say MAYBE and well I get in trouble because I should of said NO...)

Mar 17, 15 8:26 pm  · 
 · 
CMPickard

I do enjoy my job. After years of working at your typical soul sucking architecture firms, and generally accepting that architecture just sucks, I moved to NYC and lucked into a job with a small high end residential firm. Now I get to design, and see my designs through. My clients have (generally) really reasonable budgets and I work with outstanding contractors. There are a lot of really bad architecture jobs out there, there are certainly those who only draft others' ideas, but if you work hard, and are willing to bounce around till you find your niche, there are some genuinely enjoyable jobs in this industry. 

Mar 17, 15 8:28 pm  · 
 · 

I'm a fraudulent landscape architect (educated as an M.Arch) and I love my job.

x 100000.

OP, I quickly came to the same conclusion as many of the above about the practice of architecture from observing older classmates who were doing internships in my undergrad. Their feedback about their experiences was that essentially you could look forward to a future of assembling cad bits and pieces from vendor catalogs. I've always loved the process of design, from gathering research and in-depth study of context to how things fit into the broader urban fabric. The more interesting aspects of architecture seemed to be how the building could relate to its context through landscape. I decided to move towards the design of public space rather than the design of private buildings.

I have worked in 2 firms since I graduated. Both of them are landscape architecture / urban design firms. I have no education in either of those subjects, but my thesis was very landscape driven and I just sort of found my ability was driven by a passion for working in this hybrid field between small structures and the public realm.

My firm is small, young, interesting, context-driven, and absolutely values all of the same things that I do. They are encouraging, trusting, and drive all of us to try things we'd never get a chance to do in other firms. I became project lead after 5 months and now get to work on bringing a project from design concept through permit through CD through CA. We all get to jump onto other projects whenever it's called for. The partners give us the option from a bunch of upcoming jobs to work on based on our interests and what we want to learn.

I basically couldn't imagine working anywhere else than I do right now, except for striking out on my own after I get some more solid experience here. I feel like I'll be well-prepared for that, at least in terms of breadth of scope. 

Every time I go to an architect's office for a design meeting, I look at all the people in their cubicles architecting their life away, I look at what's on their walls and feel like I totally dodged a bullet. I definitely think there are many interesting aspects of building design, and I love meeting people who are passionate about that but the majority of my classmates seem stressed and unhappy with their day-to-day work.

:)

Mar 17, 15 8:48 pm  · 
 · 

StarchitectAlpha you don't say how long you've been out of school. It's a long, slow profession, and the first 6(minimum) to 10 years out of school are incredibly hard for almost everyone. 

I haven't loved every day of this career but overall I love what I do. I have made a few major shifts since starting, and as a young intern I worked at a few offices that had terrible collegiality: no talking, no music, no sense of being a team. I'm so glad those firms were not the norm in my career.

I shifted to self-employment and that was incredibly fun and rewarding but also significantly more stressful than I expected. Now I've shifted again into facilities and I could easily see myself shifting yet again into the construction side of things. I love the construction process so much. 

I'm giving a talk at the AIA National convention on young architects who are doing non-traditional practice - basically using their skills and intelligence to pursue things that are related to architecture but not just being interns all day. The profession, all the design professions, are getting fuzzier, and there are many opportunities to use your school training in other areas. 

I encourage you to pursue the license hard and fast if you can. IMO the day you get your license is the day you can decide to either completely walk away from architecture or stay within it but with more freedom to craft what YOU want your career to be.

Mar 17, 15 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
null pointer

Donna, I don't know about that first statement. It really depends on drive and the willingness to not take shit.

I got fired from my first job because, among other things, I told my one of the project architects that he was an idiot, and that if couldn't whip out 4 versions of a brownstone floor layout in CAD in 3 hours he should go take a long lunch, let me do it and continue to pretend-work while reading the NYTimes (that guy is still struggling, heh).

Now: I am less than 6 years out, and I am billed out at such an exorbitant rate just because... I'm a bit special... but the drawback (if you don't have the will to network heavily) is that I specialized really really fast. I had to take on a lot of side work to catch up on the fundamentals. This is where the drive thing played itself out: I was licensed the moment I finished my IDP.

If you're in a place like New York or LA or even Miami, there are a lot of opportunities to do just that: specialize. That's the key. Then you can make your own hours, and decide what you want to work on.

I'd say you don't get that in Indiana. And I'm not being judgmental. I'm simply saying: certain places have their advantages, if you're willing to go with a very particular route.

Mar 17, 15 9:50 pm  · 
 · 

I’ve been working for a little over a year now and I love it 99.5% of the time.

I don’t always do the most exciting work, but I hardly ever feel like I’m without opportunity to think or act critically. I’d like to think I relate to Olaf, trying to squeeze as much information out of everyone as possible, and no matter what I have worked on I have always felt like there was plenty of room for improvement ranging from design to workflow. 

Maybe I am a bit biased because it is significantly more enjoyable than so many other jobs I’ve worked and I get paid a lot more.  But hey, if I can figure out how to think critically working at a grocery store I can sure do it while drafting.

Mar 17, 15 11:27 pm  · 
 · 
bowling_ball

I also enjoy my work. It's not without it's challenges, and some days I do want to give up, but most of the time I enjoy it. I decided a while ago that this is a learning process, and so long as I'm learning, and paid decently, I'm happy. I'm not out to save the world or be a rock star. I just want to do good work and I recognize that just 4 years in to my career, I'm still discovering how to make that happen. I've had some ups and downs, including being laid off and fired from my first two jobs. It's not easy. But I grew up lower middle class - this beats driving a forklift most days of the week.

Mar 17, 15 11:43 pm  · 
 · 

Lets remember, employees are often assistants to the chef. There is one chef in the kitchen (in our case... one chef for every project... and the chef being the 'architect' or lead designer). There is a reason for it, design continuity. As a building designer which is basically just like an architect that specializes in residential and light commercial, customarily it is just me. As sole-proprietors, we usually do the design and anyone else is basically drafters. Remembr, that is basically the way things were even before architectural licensure because it was the principals/owners of the firm that was the 'architect' and employees are drafters because the contract is between the client and the owner(s) & firm. Employees often were not in the design role so much as the principal. After all, traditional firms are named by the firm owners. If I were to hypothetically partner up with a building designer in my local it would be like Balkins & McGee Building Designers. In those pre-licensing law days and well into the licensing laws... firms would be named like Balkins, McGee Architecture and similar names. The named partners of the firm being the representatives of the firms would be the lead design and everyone else not named are there to implement the design into working drawings or assisting in the business management. Employees jobs is to serve their employer and just because you are licensed doesn't put you in charge of the design because clients wants the principal partners in charge of designing. After all, the principal's equity and assets are at stake to get the job done because the principals/owners of a business are the independent contractors as a business are contractually liable to the client not so much the employees of a firm. Granted architectural licensing law may pierce that shield of being an employee for liability.

Historical or Traditional practice, the firm principals are in charge of the overall vision and plan of the project as a whole while employees works out the integral details as firm principals do not have the hours in the day to do day to day drafting very often as firms get larger because more time in meetings clients and managing the business.

Mar 17, 15 11:56 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

For me I have to go back, way way back, but I believe the answer is in Stephanie's post.... think that variety is the key for the restless.... what we do is a process of phases and working toward that level of responsibility is a cure-all, was in my case. Also found that you have to move around in our business until you can find the right combination of people, the right building types and places that will let you fly.

Mar 18, 15 12:45 am  · 
 · 

"I'd say you don't get that in Indiana. And I'm not being judgmental." Possibly you're not being judgmental, but you are being misinformed: I started IDP in Portland, Oregon, finished it and got my initial license in Philadelphia, where I practiced for ten years.

My point is: The transition from a career in school to a career in the working world can be very hard, especially for people who enjoyed school and see how different the "real world" is. For people who can't wait to get into the real world that transition is likely to be easier.

Mar 18, 15 6:46 am  · 
 · 

because i love my job, and i care that it's done right, every day is hell. 

Mar 18, 15 7:33 am  · 
 · 
awaiting_deletion

/\ qoutable Ward

haha Null, we have to really stop running into each other on this website...

technically 1st NYC job lasted 6 weeks, but took risk on being hired for one job only for a young start-up....

but 2nd job - Fired for calling my boss an idiot, practically daily... he had taught, been published, worked with world famous types, but still not the sharpest...then I went into unemployment, took low wages, and finally a

3rd employer (got hammerred with last week, good story, had to walk 6.5 miles in the suburbs at 330 am to get home - don't lose your cell phone in the 21st century) - This guy, I told him sucked daily as well - but that's what he wanted to here, he wanted me to do the work and let me write proposals...most architects are such control freaks they defeat themselves, if you have a cocky kid who wants to run the show - let him, you'll make tons of money!

either way, Donna is somewhat accurate though,  the first 6-10 years are tough until you find your niche or speciality in profession or firm or get a license and have your own clients.

Null to your point about 4 layouts in hours, once you're on your own, man it that skill bank....just play out the presentations slowly though....

Mar 18, 15 8:28 am  · 
 · 

Steven Ward: quiet but so cuttingly accurate when he speaks.

Mar 18, 15 9:06 am  · 
 · 
chigurh

I am enjoying work/my job for the first time in a long time.

Graduated, worked for an AE firm with most of the work being E, boring work with boring people that were perfectly content sitting around surfing the internet all day.  That wasn't a good fit for me even though it was comfortable and my boss was a nice guy. 

Next job was boot-camp.  It was like taking a lump of clay and beating it into practicing architect.  You were held accountable for everything, turned work out at an unreal pace every day, the owner of the company was hardcore to employees and consultants.  It was a hard place to work and I was there for a long time but it was where I paid my dues and I look back on that experience as being completely necessary even thought it was painful.  

Had a few jobs that were so-so, too slow compared to job 2, or not enough responsibility/use of technology and a mix of poor management.   

Landed where I am now, designing cool work, work closely with the principals on design with much room for interpretation, managing the work and consultants, solving problems everyday and getting paid good money.  

I shifted my thinking also, it took awhile for me to figure out that we do things multiple times to get it right, when a client is going to spend millions of dollars on a project and we are just putting lines on paper, it is worth the time/iterations to get it right, investigate all options, because if you were the one spending the money, would you want your architect to do the same...

Mar 18, 15 9:23 am  · 
 · 
Glad to see the thread has turned and some of us like our work.

I started out it a small firm mostly copy pasting details and working out elevations from plans. Boring and really unfulfilling. Quit that for a better job a few months in.

Next job was a lot of the same, but much more rewarding because the firm was full of fun people to work with. Also, the project types were a lot more rewarding. At the end of the day I always felt like I was contributing to society. I was also getting my hands dirty on other aspects of the process. I wasn't just clicking in CAD all day long.

Left that firm to relocate to a different city where I work now. I very rarely end up drawing anymore, and when I do, it is usually on trace and not in the computer. I miss it occasionally but I also really enjoy my current position. Much more than I originally thought I would. I mostly end up doing a lot of QA/QC type work and advising project teams throughout the entire design and construction process. They key to getting here was that I didn't market myself and an expert in drafting, but focused on all the things I enjoy doing more than drafting. I could easily see that drafters are a dime a dozen in the profession right now and knew that this move would give me better job security as well. Another big part in getting where I am now was finding a firm that was willing to take a chance with me and help train me on some things along the way.
Mar 18, 15 10:25 am  · 
 · 
Wilma Buttfit

I enjoy my work. I am partnered with another non-traditional career minded person and we run a learning clinic. I love using my design and problem solving skills to help students. I do freelance architectural stuff at times, programming and schematic design.

Mar 18, 15 11:02 am  · 
 · 
JLC-1

I've been working for 24 years, I've worked at 4 very different places and 1 place that didn't work.

First job, 5 years, with my university infrastructure department, did a lot of programming and schools relocation, and a couple of new buildings; there I learned how things are built.

Second job, large urban design and architecture firm, got involved in new community design, but kept one hand in building design, oversaw a new subdivision from concept to final occupancy, there I learned to deal with developers and large contractors.

Third job, Moved to the US at 38 y.o., to a landscape arch, and urban design firm in the west, lived in Aspen, Tempe and South Lake Tahoe, learned the american way, designed new communities, ski resorts and the sporadic large park or private garden, but never got to build anything. Learned of corporate architecture office and although it's an easy surfing day by day, I didn't like it too much.

The failed job, got a call from a former boss, offering to open a new office in Madrid, Spain, they had assembled a team of very good individuals and had a solid portfolio of clients in Europe and the Middle east, large projects, great budgets, but....the "team" wasn't all that great and the boss was a happy trigger, fired on spot anybody that would disagree, I lasted only 8 months. I learned not to take shit.

Current job, moved back to the US, sent my resume to several offices in April 2008 and started working in May,  now doing large custom houses and remodels with special attention to details, in a 3 person office, and I live in a place where most people come to vacation. I've jumped all over the place, and met a lot of people, and learned. I don't love my job everyday, but I've enjoyed the journey, and how my job has allowed me to do things other professions can't. 

Mar 18, 15 12:14 pm  · 
 · 
fulcrum

I can not be any happier at my current place.

Many hours doing CD in my first 6 years after school... hated it to death, but learned so much.

Next ten years mostly doing design only (SD/DD). As Olaf said before; learn to say no(but be professional about it.. finish your task), but you have to earn it. otherwise you will be just a naysayer.

Now working at an international company, multiple great projects, pretty much design the way I want with great pay.

Don't work at a firm that produces crap that you don't want to put in your portfolio.

Mar 18, 15 12:27 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

JLC-1

I know that third one very well. Would love to chat with you sometime..

Mar 18, 15 5:39 pm  · 
 · 
JLC-1

Larchinect, absolutely, how can that happen?

Mar 18, 15 5:52 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

JLC--I shot you a private message. Let me know if you dont get it.

Mar 18, 15 7:09 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

FYI--copied myself on my message through archinect, went straight to my spam box...

Mar 18, 15 7:11 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

"do not settle." a quote by mr Jobs.

Mar 18, 15 8:30 pm  · 
 · 
TheMasterBuilder

I've worked in and out of the field for about 5 years now (plus a few years I part-timed in school), and it seemed like every experience was more miserable than the last. I found the office culture to be boring beyond compare, I would look for any excuse to leave the office. Need something delivered? Don't call UPS, I'll drive it over there, save a few bucks. I worked for six different small firms, as the big firms wouldn't get back to me. Some of them did interesting work, one of them was operating illegally and later closed, two in the same town that worked on completely different things, one in NYC that had a nice variety of work and a firm closer to my house in the burbs that did mainly legalizations and rebuilds. I found a way to take an interest in whatever I was doing, but it seemed wherever I went, I couldn't get passed the misery felt by my co-workers, the (mostly underserved) egotism of the bosses, the crappy pay or the overwhelming feeling of 'what am I doing with my life?"

Unfortunately, I'm still figuring things out, I'm not working in the field and have resolved not to return to it. I'm instead looking to switch fields entirely. I know I shouldn't let a couple of bad experiences discourage me, but I'm in my late 20's now and I feel like I can't depend on a job that is so heavily influenced by an economy that crashes about every 10 years. If I wanted to be a starving artist, I would have gone to art school.

My advice to anyone struggling: Eventually you reach a crossroads where you decide, do I want to struggle through this or is enough, enough? When you can't decide, leave the field and do something completely random or  little while, something you never thought you would or could do. It is an interesting experience, your bound to lean something new and it may lead you to something exciting and new.

That's what I did when I felt like enough was enough. I became a volunteer firefighter in my town, and then became certified as an EMT and now I'm trying to get involved with the FDNY. Believe it or not, there are various civilian jobs in the FDNY where an architecture degree is actually a requirement. Even more so, I'm now opening myself up to work in a completely different field, one that can weather a bad economy.

Another piece of advice, look into civil service jobs. They pay OK (better than anything I got interning) they are open for just about anyone, they offer great benefits, pensions, 401k and you get to work with people who are salt of the earth type people and help the public (the arrogance I encountered in the architecture field was disheartening.) If it's time to move on, and you can swallow your pride, its a good 2nd option. Either that, or learn a trade, work in the field and get into a union where its hard to get fired or laid off, but even if you do, you have a team of people who will help you to get work somewhere else.

Don't settle if you have that option, I regret spending so much time in places that didn't deserve me, just because I was slightly comfortable. Be a consultant, get your expediters license, freelance, work retail, be a short order cook while your in between jobs, go to whatever town hall or civil service website (DCAS in NYC) and look for things that you can do, volunteer, read some books, learn a new skill. In a modern society, there is no reason to rot in a cubicle.

Mar 31, 15 5:26 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

Think that master-builder speaks clearly to an important issue... that being that just because you attended a school and graduated with certificate that has the word architect on it doesn't mean that you are indentured to be one.... just too many options, too many places that need architects to do other things - including politics - branding this false notions in students heads is a disservice.

Mar 31, 15 8:37 am  · 
 · 

I've done a lot of things in my time, mostly related to architecture but many not. Among other things I've been an auto mechanic, apprentice to a traditional Japanese Master Builder, metal fabricator, furniture maker, author and artist. But my bread and butter is design / build and the rest fills in the flat spots (sometimes).

The economics vary, but I have a fairly low-overhead lifestyle (not including the daughter in college, LOL) and pretty much get to decide what I do and the terms on which I work. There are only three things I want: to do great work, to have fun doing it and to get reasonably paid for doing it (which typically follows if the first two are achieved). 

Happiness isn't so much doing what you love as loving what you do, whatever it is. Every job has more and less desirable aspects. It's all in the mind, you know. Which is not to say that there aren't untenable environments. I go to great lengths to create comfortable, positive working conditions on my projects. I don't want anyone with a bad attitude - or who is unhappy - anywhere near me. Life is too short for that shit, and I've had far too much of it already.

Mar 31, 15 9:25 am  · 
 · 
Carrera

^”I don't want anyone with a bad attitude - or who is unhappy - anywhere near me…..”, wise words to live by, but not always easy to achieve – I never quit anything, started when I was a child, not even girlfriends, regret not being able to do it deeply…..trying real hard now.

Mar 31, 15 10:57 am  · 
 · 
TIQM

Because I love what I do, I cant remember a day when I wasn't excited to walk in the door and get started.  I am blessed. 

Mar 31, 15 12:10 pm  · 
 · 
citizen

Great thread!

I love what I do, and what a long, strange trip it's been to get here.  Some days I teach how cities get built, unbuilt, and rebuilt to students who (mostly) find themselves far more interested than they thought they would be.

Other days I work for myself (consulting) on urban design & planning projects.  Occasionally I do some research and writing.

It can be difficult cobbling together the different pieces of work, but I'm never ever bored or disinterested in what I'm doing.

Mar 31, 15 12:46 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

I love what I do.   I am a landscape designer, artist, and I buy and fix up houses for investment.  Im not some flipper douche...I actually do the work myself and live in the house until its done. I also have a couple rentals too.  Its an ok source of income probably 1/2 of my total...Sanding and painting are my favorite things to do aside from designing landscapes...After graduating with an M-arch sending 100s of resumes into the abyss, dealing with being poor, and a terrible case of neuropathy brought on by extreme stress and depression... I basically refused to let the profession dictate how I may use my education that I paid (and still am paying) for.  I started my own business, at first as a freelancer for a couple contractors and eventually a full service design firm... in the last 4 years I have designed around 100 small residential landscape projects and about 10 large more complex ones... I am all about xeriscape and I have used my influence as a designer to spread the word about water conservation and urban microhabitats for wildlife.  The only downside it that my stupid state does not allow an M-arch to replace an MLA even though all my electives were in landscape and even my thesis...Oh well...no one cares anyway...I put every bit of effort into every project...Never had one single angry client and my work is 1000x better than the crap the contractors are selling this market so I may as well keep going with this and see where it ends up...I really love nature...I'm deeply in love with it in every sense and I spend all my free time now immersed in it...learning about it....Its a fantastic field to be in and most landscape people (even contractors) are much nicer...

In the next 5 years I really want to try and buy a lot and build a small spec home...I have a dream of building "middle class" homes that are well designed and earth friendly...land costs are just too high and I cant make the numbers work...I also want to break into the public art world...

My only advice is.... your first design project should be to "design your life."

Mar 31, 15 1:40 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Jla-x, consider a larger piece of land that you might get from the city for next to nothing…or a group of abandon homes to tear down and do a “Pocket-Cluster”….just do them one at a time, here is an excellent example that would make your landscape expertise shine……

http://switchboard.nrdc.org/blogs/kbenfield/an_affordable_housing_enclave.html

Mar 31, 15 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

I love my job, and have enjoyed almost all my design firm jobs.  Having hung out with the older classes and grad students while in college, I got a good sense of what is out there for options and was able to navigate pretty well from international firms to local engineering firms.  Making sure to get something new on the resume and knowledge/skill set I felt like after 5 yrs I understood most of the work from pretty renderings to land a contract to CA work (8 person engineering firm/20 person international design firm/50 person international design firm; commercial and institutional work).  The next few yrs I polished off getting technical knowledge down while developing a more thorough work flow worked out in CAD and Adobe CS (10 person regional design firm mostly institutional).  Also spent some time getting to understand the process of marketing, developing client relationships and managing projects on the paperwork side.  Now I'm doing high-end residential firm, managing projects and working heavy on design.

Some of the key things others have touched on, but I'll repeat:  the first 5yrs or so I felt overworked and underpaid (it wasn't bad, I paid my bills).  As I got efficient, I learned to manage expectations to not get too overworked - I also made sure that my bosses knew that I understood when I did more than my fair share of billable work (I often asked that I get some time to do 'fun' stuff that could still benefit the office - meeting product reps and get free lunch, explore new methods of rendering, do some marketing, etc).  I also made it a point to know the studio culture to make sure I fit in (I like people that aren't uber-competitive but are passionate about arts).  Build yourself a reputation for being an efficient team player that pushes good design (in one town I spent a lot of time with non-profits on my time) and you'll be in high demand and be more able to carve out your place.

Mar 31, 15 10:11 pm  · 
 · 
x-jla

Jla-x, consider a larger piece of land that you might get from the city for next to nothing…or a group of abandon homes to tear down and do a “Pocket-Cluster”….

As for the land, what happened in my area is that the land was mostly bought up by overseas investors and big funds...They are in no rush to sell and they bought the land when the prices were ridiculously high before the crash...They would now rather just let it sit for 10 -20 years than to take a loss and lower the price...essentially the land prices did not drop relative to the housing prices.  There is this one lot near the house I am in currently that is perfect, but the price is 300k..the homes in that area sell for 300-500 tops...Your idea though is defidently something to look into...I really don't know anthing about getting land from the city but it could be an option.

Apr 1, 15 1:36 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

jla-x....then consider leasing the land, then see if the land owner will subordinate until you get enough built to support the mortgage.

Apr 1, 15 2:20 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: