Archinect
anchor

does anyone knows what's going on in the MArch II program of Cooper Union?

CHcm

Does CU's MArch II program provides on an architectural design basis? I just browsed its website and found the grad student works are mainly based on theoretical urbanism research and/or geological analysis, the studio topic seems very broad.

Honestly its more like a Master of Urban Planning instead of architecture to me. Can anyone who had experienced the program shares the information regarding its true studio focus? Thanks.

Mar 17, 15 3:49 pm
The Great Northern

There are three semesters. The fall and spring semester studio both concern large-scale architectural issues of urbanism and landscape/nature. The summer semester is thesis where the focus is entirely up to you. There are many fantastic seminar courses to choose from, which are also flexible according to what each graduate student wants to investigate/produce in terms of projects / papers / drawings and so on. Again, it's a post-professional degree program, meaning students are free to explore without the constraints of NAAB. And of course, you get to study within the creatively and intellectually rich environment of Cooper. If your idea of architecture is that "architecture = a building" then this program is either not for you, or, this program would provide exactly what is lacking from your education up to this moment.

Mar 18, 15 12:38 am  · 
 · 
natematt

It is not uncommon for architecture programs to contain design at an urban scale, some push this more than others.

On the other hand, most urban planning programs I have seen are less focused on the experience and more focused on research and bureaucratic elements involved with the design at that scale.

Mar 18, 15 7:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: