Archinect
anchor

Maximum running corridor

i got a problem in maximum running length of corridor with my  studio project in apartment (photo attached). My teacher said that this type of long running corridor is not allowed according to bylaws. where as the placements of fire lift and staircases are provided within a maximum travel distance of 30 m.

and one more question ,is providing 3 stilt floor and a small basement better instead of a big large envelope basement?

Mar 17, 15 11:16 am
Non Sequitur

You have bigger issues than travel distance to exits. Try working on your unit layouts first, they need some serious TLC.

students these days.... amiright?

Mar 17, 15 11:49 am  · 
 · 
JeromeS

Not sure of your question exactly;

I see building of this type all the time.  They are permitted as long as you can provide egress within the distance proscribed by the AHJ.

As to question 2;  what do you think?  I think there are questions like this on the ARE...

I cant see the units- nor am I inclined to put in the effort to see them...

Mar 17, 15 11:51 am  · 
 · 
SneakyPete

Go to your library and read the codes on egress and dead end corridors for the Jurisdiction in which your project resides.

Mar 17, 15 12:40 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

I don’t see but 2 dead ends, those are generally 20’ maximum in U.S, 50’ with fire sprinklers. Travel distances to stairs/exits are 200’ generally; depending on occupancy code, 250’ with sprinklers, I see lots of gaps in the plan just throw some more stairs in. Anytime a professor throws a code question at you just tell him you’re sprinklering the building, that usually shuts them up.

Mar 17, 15 1:53 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

^this project is in India. Last I checked, their code was not on par with the US's.

just saying...

Mar 17, 15 2:00 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

^So, its even easier to design a shitty building...

Mar 17, 15 2:07 pm  · 
 · 
Non Sequitur

herein Exhibit 'A'

Mar 17, 15 2:15 pm  · 
 · 

Corridors need to me minimized, the length is long and may be an exiting issue and a convenience issue for residents, but in the real world long corridors are wasteful, you can't rent those corridors but you have to maintain them so a client will require you to cut back on corridors. 

Over and OUT

Peter N

Mar 17, 15 7:21 pm  · 
 · 

Corridors are, like gutters, simply bad design.

Mar 17, 15 10:48 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Guess it matters how you design them.....

Mar 18, 15 12:13 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: