Archinect
anchor

GSD Yale or done even bother going?

BusinessPlan

I'm really stressed out. 

I applied to grad school on a fluke, just to see if I would get in, not really planning on going. I love my life with my girlfriend and have a job at a respected corporate architecture firm. I've only been there a year but I see room for advancement down the line.

But now I got into Harvard, Yale, the AA. It's two whole years, it seems like so much work, and of the people I know who have gone to graduate school for architecture I can't say they're doing exceptionally career-wise.

I may want to teach in the future (I don't like sometimes how competitive work, especially the corporate world is) and I see teaching as a way to make some money without being forced to compete with my peers.

What do you guys think? I don't really like the idea of leaving my girlfriend (she may live with me for the 2nd year of studies) and it just seems like such a long time to be back in school, not earning money, not gaining real-world experience.

Mar 15, 15 4:24 pm
-------

I don't know from personal experience, but I do know others have posted here that the academic world is also very competitive, so you won't be leaving that behind you if you join it. Are you already licensed?

Mar 15, 15 5:04 pm  · 
 · 
verticalgaze

School will always be there--it's basically the socially acceptable safety net for a lot of recent grads so don't worry about that opportunity disappearing.

You know you can get in (again) so if it's not the right decision now, why jump into it? Academia is changing now as the other poster said, with fewer tenure and mostly disposable adjuncts paid peanuts but cover the same workload. Not something you want to do as a primary job but should be fun as part of a workweek. They'd probably want a Master's teaching but there might be other shorter programs depending on your existing degree type. 

Mar 15, 15 9:36 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

Friend once told me that going to school was like a track race of running hurdles, that once you stop you lose cadence, wouldn't wait too long. Big world but from where I come from having a diploma from one of those schools is like a first-class ticket.... never could figure out if it was that these schools were plucking talent or students plucking the name, all I know is that when a resume with those names on it crossed my desk I always interviewed them no matter who they were... just the way this world works..... you don't get successful at anything by passing up opportunities and this looks like an opportunity to me.

Mar 15, 15 10:13 pm  · 
 · 
3tk

If you want to teach, just go get a PhD, it's becoming the norm (w/o a lot of top level experience) - you might even be able to do it while working (maybe).  If you have the finances or are getting the help you need, it may be easier to do it now rather than later (physically) but be more beneficial when you know what it is that you want to explore (otherwise you're just going to be another 'product' that program spits out).

Mar 16, 15 3:32 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: