Archinect
anchor

Registering for the ARE - Is it easy to change States?

graduatearchitect

I am currently 1 year away from completing my IDP.  I'm working in a firm in the Midwest, but I'm currently looking for out-of-state jobs and I'm hoping to relocate this summer.  My co-workers at my current firm have been encouraging me to register for the exam and start studying for the tests.

Should I wait until I have transferred to a new state before I register?  If I register in my current state now, will I have to start the process over after I relocate?

Mar 14, 15 8:27 pm
Living in Gin

If your current state doesn't have a residency requirement, there's no need to transfer. Just get registered in your current state (you can take the exams anywhere), and then get reciprocal registration in your new state once you have an NCARB certificate. For most states, it shouldn't be much more than a formality. Check ncarb.org.

Mar 14, 15 8:45 pm  · 
 · 
JeromeS

You can also change the State that NCARB reports your scores too.  If you start with the ARE were you are, be mindful of their Transmittal process prior to completing.  There is a $400 charge for transmitting to additional State Boards.

Also note,  ARE 5.0 begins in 2016;  You can decide to wait for the transition OR you can use the change to your advantage.  NCARB tells you how you could start with 4.0, end with 5.0 and ONLY need to take 5 exams...

• With a strategic testing approach, it is possible to complete the ARE in five divisions rather than six or seven. Learn more
Mar 14, 15 9:33 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

I switched part way though. I think I had to register w/my new state board, but there was no change in terms of the test-the results are sent to NCARB anyway. I suppose the downside is that you may end up registering w/2 state boards.

Honestly, doing the paperwork twice (and of course paying the nominal fee) was a minor inconvenience for me to get a much better job. I wouldn't let it hold you up from starting on the ARE and also looking for a better job. 

Mar 14, 15 11:23 pm  · 
 · 
shellarchitect

LiG is back!

Mar 15, 15 9:36 am  · 
 · 
Living in Gin

I've always been here; I just normally post under my real name nowadays and forgot to pick that option before posting on this thread.

A note of caution about waiting until ARE 5.0: Since it hasn't been released yet, there aren't any study materials for it, and there likely won't be until it's been out for a while. With each new incarnation of the ARE, pass rates always have usually plunged down into the 50% range once it goes live, before eventually improving as people get familiar with the format and new study guides are published.

Mar 16, 15 6:26 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: