Archinect
anchor

Need help with 'Line types'!

JollyJed

Hey guys!

I am currently studying Architecture at University and have a project that requires me to draw numerous technical drawings on CAD and by hand. I Was taught to use CAD at a very basic level but a portion of the project is graded on using the correct line types and thicknesses which i am unsure on!

Where do i use different thickness lines? i know that things like furniture should be drawn in a thinner line but what about walls or windows? I just need some advice from you guys on when and where i should use these things! 

Another question i have is when do i cut off the stairs? i know there is a cut off point but for the life of me i cannot remember what it is! 

Any advice would be great guys, im trying to get these drawings done but this has thrown a spanner in the works.

Many thanks, Jed.

Mar 13, 15 6:32 pm
JeromeS

Go find a Frank Ching book...

Mar 13, 15 9:51 pm  · 
 · 
JollyJed

Which one would you recommend? considering the fact that i am a beginner :) 

Mar 13, 15 10:08 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

I used to use heavy lines at edges of materials.... putting a bold line at the outside edge of sections to make them pop and everything inside that perimeter would be lighter, material hatching even lighter, dimensions and notes/leaders medium.... makes them easier to read. With CAD that seems to have gone out the window, but I have seen it.

Assume your question on stairs refers to drawing them in plan, if so floor plans are thought to be cut midway up from the floor... figure out how many stair treads you have and show half.

It's normal on here to make fun of people and tell a joke, just too tired to think of anything, sorry.

Mar 13, 15 11:05 pm  · 
 · 
gruen

I use about 4 or 5 lineweights total. Darkest is for things that are cut through, lightest is for hatches and patterns. 

So, if I"m doing a plan, the walls will get the darkest line, most everything will get the middleweight line, the light line will be minor things or major patterns, the lightest will be the poche. 

Lineweight is kinda an artform, but don't overthink it, you only need 4 or 5 total. 

Gets a bit more complex for a 3d drawing like an axon but similar concept. 

Yes, go to the dang library and start looking through books about drafting technique. Frank Ching books are a good place to start. I bet you could even do a google search. 

Mar 14, 15 11:35 pm  · 
 · 
Koww

here's  a simple starting point: http://www.automotiveillustrations.com/tutorials/tutorial-drawing-nuts-bolts-screws.html

Mar 15, 15 2:26 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: