AA DRL or Sci-Arc can't decide?? :(

Apr 17, 15 6:02 pm  · 
 · 
ad2289

Me too! Yale! @archhopeful 

Apr 17, 15 7:23 pm  · 
 · 
fechtel

Undergraduate degree: B.Des, Architecture / B.S., Sustainability in the Built Environment

GPA: 3.87

GRE scores (V/Q/W): On the old scoring system it was a 1390 (I took it four years ago for something else, and didn't want to take it again)

PORTFOLIO: Isn't online...yet

Letters of Recommendation: Three, all undergraduate architecture professors

SCHOOLS (Applied + Results + Funds awarded):

IN:

GSD (around 1/2)

MIT (full)

Yale

UMich 

UVA

UF

OUT:

Princeton

WAIT LISTED:

NO RESPONSE:

Preferences:

I accepted MIT's offer and will start there in the fall. I created an account here to post this, as I saw a few other incoming MIT students and thought it would be fun to connect before meeting this fall. If anyone has any questions or wants opinions about the application process, I'd be happy to help.

Apr 18, 15 8:02 pm  · 
 · 

@ fechtel   

Hi, could you please post your portfolio. I am applying for grad school next year and MIT is my dream school. Its amazing you got into MIT with a full ride. Congrats!!!

Apr 19, 15 11:20 pm  · 
 · 
video_killed

@fechtel Congrats! It's a great program in a great city (if you are not from the area and sick of it like I am). 

MIT was my top choice. I was also accepted, off the waitlist on the 17th, but with no funding. Talking to people, I get the sense the department pretty much just gives out a couple of free rides to try to lure "top talent" into picking it over Harvard or Yale, with very little to no money for the rest of us, and no need based aid whatsoever. 

Very happily taking my scholarship from Columbia. 

Apr 20, 15 10:19 am  · 
 · 

That does not sound too encouraging!

Apr 21, 15 7:39 am  · 
 · 
video_killed

lol, sorry, I realize my last post might have come off as a little bitter. It wasn't intended as such, only to pass along what I've heard from other people this cycle. My impressions of the program were genuinely very favorable, for those who are funded or can afford it. 

I didn't realize before applying that some schools give need based aid, most schools give a combination of merit and need based aid, and some schools, like MIT, give only merit aid and no need based aid. I just really disagree with this philosophy. 

Apr 21, 15 11:03 am  · 
 · 

Not at all. Just the information you provided was depressing. I got the impression from their website that their admissions are need blind and they provide aid to international students (which I am) . If that is untrue it is not very encouraging since I can't imagine who can really afford MIT!

Apr 22, 15 2:02 am  · 
 · 
fechtel

@video_killed

The process was described to me by their admissions coordinator. They select the students they want to offer admissions to and rank them from top to bottom--I think about 30 students in total. Then they offer 100% to the first few, 90% to the next, etc., down the line to 0% at the bottom. I'm not sure if that's how they did it this year, but that's how he described it last summer.

May 2, 15 9:00 pm  · 
 · 
orlihakanoglu

Undergraduate degree: B.A. in Architecture with Honors, Liberal Arts College

GPA: 3.70 

GRE scores (V/Q/W):  165 V / 158 Q / 5.0 W

PORTFOLIO: Ask me for it if you'd like to see!

Letters of Recommendation: Up to 5, 3 faculty, 1 internship employer, 1 GSD Career Discovery instructor

SCHOOLS (Applied + Results + Funds awarded): Applied for M-Arch I

IN:

UMich  (+20k)

Cornell AAP (+14k) 

Washington University in St. Louis (+37k)

Columbia GSAPP (no aid)

Yale School of Architecture (22k)

OUT:

GSD

Princeton

WAIT LISTED:

NO RESPONSE:

Preferences:
YSOA! 

Mar 22, 16 5:41 pm  · 
 · 
siurana22

Undergraduate degree: B.S. in geosciences

GPA: 3.71 

GRE scores (V/Q/W):  In the 1300's maybe with the old system...can't remember

PORTFOLIO: Geologic maps, artwork, a house I helped build.

Letters of Recommendation: 1 faculty advisor, 1 professor, 1 boss

SCHOOLS (Applied + Results + Funds awarded): Applied for M-Arch I

IN:

UT-Austin (haven't heard yet...I hope I do soon)

Arizona (10k, I'm in state)

UC-Denver (haven't heard yet)

Tulane (30k and $ for open house)

OUT:

None, weirdly. I wasn't sure what to expect with no arch background.

WAIT LISTED:

NO RESPONSE:

Preferences:
UT Austin, Arizona or Denver 

Mar 22, 16 9:05 pm  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: