Archinect
anchor

Getting into an office that doesn't suck

Koww

How do you get an entry-level job/internship at a good office that has the luxury of investing into research and care for detail in their work, both the actual architecture and its representation? Let's say you happen to be a really good student but in a part of the world where most architecture is pretty bland and/or corporate and you're not really connected to what seems like an exclusive club. Is it worth settling for a job at a regular firm that does typical boring stuff and has no ambition/ability to do meaningful work to just get general experience in the industry?

Mar 12, 15 4:04 pm
trail.runner

I was in a similar position as you last year. I took a job at a so-so firm, mostly because I needed a job out of school (hello student loans!). But over the course of a few months I kept going with my personal research, attending conferences, and making professional connections. I heard through a friend that one of my dream firms, which does value research and could let me pursue my interests to some extent, was hiring. I got in for an interview, without connections, by emphasizing my research and knowledge and now I work there. So I think there is value in working at a firm right out of school for the sake of experience, but don't stop honing your skills and thinking about the steps you can take to launch yourself to your next career goal. 

Mar 12, 15 6:39 pm  · 
 · 
Carrera

It's a long journey that starts at square one.

Mar 12, 15 8:00 pm  · 
 · 
natematt

Is it worth settling for a job at a regular firm that does typical boring stuff and has no ambition/ability to do meaningful work to just get general experience in the industry?

If you actually need money to live the answer should be pretty obvious. If I couldn't find a job at a firm at least liked a little, I would be willing to work anywhere that paid the bills and got me experience, just because it's still an improvement over unemployment.

That said, you don't really have to settle for garbage either. There are not that many firms that do really amazing and innovative work. However, there are a decent number of firms that do competent, good, and even occasionally progressive work. I think a lot of big firms fit in the second category, and often have a lot of opportunities.

Mar 12, 15 10:24 pm  · 
 · 
Larchinect

I tend to think theres always something to be learned, the only thing that can really hold you back is your own ego. who knows you may start at a so-so firm and become a thought leader there. That can be every bit and even more rewarding than being a little fish in a big firm.

Mar 12, 15 10:29 pm  · 
 · 
ArchNyen

one question.

do you know revit well?

Mar 13, 15 12:17 am  · 
 · 
Koww

I do know revit... is that good or bad?

Mar 13, 15 1:33 am  · 
 · 
snooker-doodle-dandy

Did you take "Architectural Ethics" when in College?  ....is that good or bad?

Mar 13, 15 7:20 pm  · 
 · 
toasteroven

This rule has served me well over the years: as long as you don't both have shitty design AND shitty people you should be fine. The goal is to find a place that has both good people and design, but If you can at least get good people who are staying busy then you'll learn something and might have some fun.

Personally I'd try to stay away from shitty people even if they are doing good work. You might learn something but they aren't going to help you in the long term unless you play their game.

Mar 14, 15 8:50 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: