Archinect
anchor

CAD software conundrum

sarmath

Hello all, need some advice here. I'm a Solidworks user, as I mostly work on the fabrication side of things.  I just started a new job at a young company that does exhibition design.  We are working on a 30k sq ft exhibition, handed an empty concrete shell and doing everything else. 3 year project. Kinetics, interactives, projection mapping, cafe/bar, tesselated geometric walls, seating, storage, the whole bit. I'm the project lead for fabrication.

I have a conundrum, which is that the exhibit designer we use uses only Vectorworks. However, the concept/content/flythrough guys at our company use 3dsmax. I've used neither, and I need to be able to handle files from both.  I have to be able to take the files and turn them into either shop drawings or CNC/laser/3dprinting files, depending.

The company is buying me whatever software I need, but what should I get? Vectorworks doesnt seem to have good CAM, but it doesnt export many file formats, so I'm limited in what else I can use. 3dsmax seems useless in this scenario, but i will be receiving 3ds files. is there another option, say Rhino, that will let me use all these file formats with full funtionality, and has a good CAM component?

I currently have and know how to use AutoCad and Solidworks. I've done some Rhino, but it's been a while.

fwiw, I will not need to do any rendering....yet.

Mar 12, 15 2:16 pm
lamp4036

I would stick with rhino and try to learn it to an expert level. There will be a bit of a high learning curve to accomplish all the tasks you need, but it generally plays nice with other software both on the import and export sides. There are CAM plugins for rhino that are available and worth research as well. Rhino can do 3D modeling, 3d printing, and export to 2d and 3d. Seems to be the most versatile option here. Master it, and it would help you out a ton,

Mar 12, 15 2:36 pm  · 
 · 
sarmath

My hesitation about Rhino is that in the past when i've used it, it was a real pain to get it to do things like make non rectilinear shapes into easily fabricated parts.  Like, turning a theoretical 3d shape in panels, with non-colliding joints, that are easily isolated and sent to CNC.  Which Solidworks excels at. However, Solidworks and Vectorworks dont play well together at all.

Mar 12, 15 3:31 pm  · 
 · 
Bench

Rhino is able to work with a lot of different file types. There will always be problems converting files between software, but from what I've seen Rhino has the most breadth. From what I understand, 3DS only works in meshes, so you can't work in Nurbs surfaces. Rhino will do both. I've never understood the Vectorworks 3d system, it acts as a BIM instead of a polysurface modeler, yes?

From what you're describing it sounds like you would need to have an additional working knowledge of either Paneling Tools plugin or Grasshopper plugin for Rhino. Both will do what you want, however take even more time to learn well.

Mar 12, 15 3:45 pm  · 
 · 
sarmath

I've done some grasshopper, what that I said makes it sound like I will need that?

Mar 12, 15 4:16 pm  · 
 · 
wurdan freo

Rhino is pretty powerful software with integrated cad/cam (at least thats what ive been told). That being said... I don't know why you wouldn't just use autocad and minimize the amount of new software learning you would need. 3ds used to have a direct export to dwg and ACad can export to .stl. If you did go with ACAD... You would need to add a CAM software like vcarve or aspire to your workflow. Ultimately depends on what you are trying to create. I would map out your potential workflows.

Mar 12, 15 5:05 pm  · 
 · 
sarmath

Well, I forgot to add that I actually WANT to learn new software to better my future job prospects, as this job has a time limit.

Mar 12, 15 5:12 pm  · 
 · 
laserscn

Rhino is pretty good!you can try it!

May 13, 15 4:33 am  · 
 · 

Block this user

Are you sure you want to block this user and hide all related comments throughout the site?

Archinect

This is your first comment on Archinect. Your comment will be visible once approved.

• ×Search in: